Spinalonga Island - worth the trip?

maggie12345ab

If you've read the book, you've got to go! Well , that was how I felt.

We stopped at Ag Nik on a Thomson cruise last year. They cancelled the ship's tour to Spinalonga so it was DIY time. We knew there were boat trips leaving from Ag Nik just after mid-day, but that was cutting it fine for getting back before sail-away. The next option was to get to Elounda and catch a boat there. The bus company had a little kiosk on the dock side and were very helpful, so we ended up getting the bus to the bus station, then the Elounda bus. It was very breezy in Elounda, and the sea was quite choppy, took a good half hour to get to the island. The boat comes back an hour later, and you have to get the same one back. We found out on the way back that we had missed the little shop selling guide books, which would have helped! Few facilities or signs on the island, it's just left as it was. You can go into many of the buildings, and walk right round the island. A small cafe and toilets next to the entrance. We bought our bus tickets for the return journey at a little kiosk in Elounda, though were prepared to get a taxi if necessary. There was a taxi rank there. We could see the ship as we approached Ag Nik, so got off at the harbour rather than going back to the bus station.

Thouroughly enjoyed the trip, lovely scenery on the journey. DIY was relatively easy.

kate

Well worth a visit. I visited the island and read the book afterwards.I was staying in Ag Nik at the time. It was good to be able to see it all in my mind as I read the book. There was a young woman walking around giving the history of the island and it was very informative. I wouldn't have missed it.

Archived