Cigarette Sales

coveman

Individual packs of cigarettes can only be purchased at the bars and they do not necessarily carry the same brands at the bar that they do at the onboard shop. Any cartons purchased onboard are not delivered until the last night on ship. Bring enough smokes with you to make it (at least) to your first port where you can purchase them, otherwise you may be stuck smoking some other brand onboard, and paying a hefty price for each pack.

Individual packs of cigarettes can only be purchased at the bars and they do not necessarily carry the same brands at the bar that they do at the onboard shop. Any cartons purchased onboard are not delivered until the last night on ship. Bring enough smokes with you to make it (at least) to your first port where you can purchase them, otherwise you may be stuck smoking some other brand onboard, and paying a hefty price for each pack.

Cartons of smokes are usually cheaper in port than they are on the ship anyway. Buy them at your first port and then just carry them back to the ship with you. You won't have any problems getting them onboard.

Princess supposedly will only allow you to buy one carton onboard (about $20.00). Then they will deliver it to your stateroom on the last day of the cruise. The reason for the one carton limit is because that is all you are legally allowed to bring back into the states anyway.

If you buy them in port, you can choose to try and get as many cartons back into the states as you wish. Be aware, though, if Customs finds multiple cartons in your suitcase, they will confiscate them. However, I've yet to have a problem and I usually bring four or five cartons back with me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

WHAT???????

I don't remember anybody's smokes being taken away? There is a number of cigs allowed that are duty-free, then there is a duty to be paid. The amount is small, so I have been told. I have avoided this by travelling with a group of non-smokers, thus my many cartons are duty free, which is evenly larger when I take a cruise to the US Virgin Islands, which allows more to be purchased there duty free. At $34.00 a carton, I am more then happy to buy them in St. Thomas and St. Maarten for $12 and $8, respectively. I know some New Yorkers (City) that would be happy to buy them at double there and even pay triple the duty since they pay over $80 per carton......Dennis

PS....Prices quoted are based on past purchases, not updated from 1 1/2 years ago.

Princess runs specials on mulitple carton boxes on their cigarettes onboard and you can actually buy as many cartons as you would like, you just have to pay duty (if you are caught) on the ones over your limit. They do not and never have limited you to only one carton since we have sailed with them which has been over 10 years.

Archived