Bringing soda & water on board

kimmysmom

What I have heard people do is wrap a case - or two, or sodas- of bottled water in duct tape and fashion a duct tape handle, throw a luggage tag on it and check in with their checked luggage. They say it arrives at their cabin with the rest of their luggage.

We're going to do this on our upcoming cruise and keep our fingers crossed.

What I have heard people do is wrap a case - or two, or sodas- of bottled water in duct tape and fashion a duct tape handle, throw a luggage tag on it and check in with their checked luggage. They say it arrives at their cabin with the rest of their luggage.

We're going to do this on our upcoming cruise and keep our fingers crossed.

Per Carnival now I understand from reading other posts, that soda/water must be in actual luggage now or carry on. It may vary port to port, but no longer want luggage tags taped to packs of water or soda.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

I just called Carnival to confirm the non-alcoholic beverage policy.

I had heard they stepped up their confiscation efforts of smuggled alcohol. Pretty much all beverages in your checked luggage will be confiscated.

I was told all non-alcoholic beverages must be carried on.

They say small quantity. I asked about this and the girl said like a 6 pack of soda not a 24 pack.

They are stepping up smuggled beverages efforts for a number of reasons.

1. Smuggled alcohol can lead to room parties and loud guests disturbing other guests.

2. Smuggled alcohol leads to lack of control for the 21+ policy.

3. $$$$. The travel industry is still struggling. They make good money from alcoholic beverages. The same with soda / water. The soda cards are $6 a day. If you bring on 6 2 liter bottles of soda that you buy at a supermarket for about $10 then Carnival loses $50 in revenue. Carnival sells bottles water for like $2.50 each. By limiting you from bringing more than 6 24 oz bottles of water they may be able to sell you a couple of waters during the trip. Some people used to bring a case of soda and case of water to the port while sticking a room tag on them for delivery to their room. The porters were being paid for this. Since Carnival sells these beverages there is no need to pay a porter to deliver it to your room.

Carnival is known as the cheaper of the cruise lines and does get a lot of people from lesser means. These people will smuggle lots of items on board. As a mature adult I do not want to see people sitting at the pool drinking out of mouthwash containers of smuggled alcohol.

Archived