Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt on casual nights?

Never.

To the OP....wear what you want, but remember, you'll look out of place.

We were on Adventure a couple weeks ago. We sat near the entrance on deck 4 and saw everyone that entered. We only saw 5 persons wearing shorts and about a dozen wearing jeans. I did not see any so called "designer jeans", they were all the $30 variety of Wranglers and Levi's and one of them had both knees ripped open. So much for "nice jeans". Everyone else was dressed properly. We asked the head waiter why they allowed shorts, even though the sign out front prohibited shorts. As well another table near by asked the same question. He gave some excuse about not want to cause a scene. So we cut back on his tip. We felt he deserved at least a small tip, since he did remove the shell from our lobsters. We also DID have a Smart Casual night, 2 Formal and the rest were casual.

So to refresh everyone as to what RCI's dress code is:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UCLOU1YOmKOUZ1czLu_m8_b:12hbiodf7;jsessionid=0000daij_3kyi2F4m-reT1g9Ajz:12hbiodf7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

I completely disagree that the OP's boyfriend will look out of place in jeans. Remember, they are headed out of Miami, FL going to the Bahamas. The general cruise population on her short cruise will most likely be of similar age and mindset - nice jeans and a nice shirt ARE acceptable for dinner. The Adventure of the Seas cruise experience out of San Juan is completely different. I've been on similar cruises on CCL and there were not very many families with young children, and not very many young couples to speak of -especially in the off season (i.e. not summer). I think my husband and I were probably some of the youngest people on board by several decades.

There will probably be plenty of folks dressed in jeans.... and I'm going to go out on limb here....shorts for dinner on the Majesty.

I'm sure someone will disagree with my opinion, but that's what makes this board great. It different perspectives and lets the reader make up his/her own mind.;)

If people are so self conscience about wearing jeans in the MDR, why do they have to ask? How many times do you see a question on CC such as "Can I GET AWAY WITH wearing jeans?" If jeans were truly acceptable, nobody would need to ask. It seems that the only people who want to wear jeans are on CC. This seems to be obvious, as per my recent cruise on Adventure, where only about a dozen people wore jeans on casual nights.

BUT, that is not the issue as to why we reduced our tip to the head waiter. It is because they had a sign posted at the entrance stating SHORTS were not permitted. Yet they refused to enforce the rule. Now that sign had to be approved by the captain, or it wouldn't be there.

Overall, I'm glad to see that 99% of REAL cruisers choose to follow the dress code.

If people are so self conscience about wearing jeans in the MDR, why do they have to ask? How many times do you see a question on CC such as "Can I GET AWAY WITH wearing jeans?" If jeans were truly acceptable, nobody would need to ask.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. While some people seem to put some kind of power on the maitre d', most people set their own bar at what they to wear to a "social gathering", such as a cruise.

The words "I got in with my jeans" speaks volumes, and reminds me of grade school.

What a person wears has nothing to do with the taste of the food. But it does show a persons taste in clothing. When the anti dress code people find themselves in a corner, they tend to change the subject. Mr.Pete was implying that those who do not follow the dress code are the childish ones who say "Look what I got away with". There was no mention of "Gee, I wore jeans and the food tastes so much better".

If people are so self conscience about wearing jeans in the MDR, why do they have to ask? How many times do you see a question on CC such as "Can I GET AWAY WITH wearing jeans?" If jeans were truly acceptable, nobody would need to ask.

People ask because they are unsure what the actual standards are in the MDR (whether it be their first cruise or first on RCI). Plus, there are absolutely places in life where jeans are not acceptable. The MDR on a mass market cruise line (casual night) is just not one of those places.

People ask because they are unsure what the actual standards are in the MDR (whether it be their first cruise or first on RCI). Plus, there are absolutely places in life where jeans are not acceptable. The MDR on a mass market cruise line (casual night) is just not one of those places.

RCI publishes guidelines that give the impression that they do have some standards.

After seeing what people wear into the MDR the truth is that RCI has no standards and neither do some of their pax.:rolleyes:

It doesn't ruin my evening to see some of the getups people think are appropriate to wear for dinner. I find some of them amusing and even entertaining.:D

Archived