What to do in Quebec City

We took the tour of Montmorency Falls and Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre church using the discount coupons at: http://www.quebeccitytours.com/. Note, this is a different site than a similar one that ends in .net. It wasn't very fancy - I think the driver is the owner. He doesn't do any dialog on where one is going but he did pick up our group of 6 at our hotel and took credit cards. That was almost 2 years ago and if I recall correctly, the discount was 25% then vs. the 20% now. But since this is one of the few places in the world where the US dollar is stronger than the local dollar, it really is a bargain.

Frank

You obviously haven't looked at the currency lately. The premium on the US dollar at the banks is a mere 5%. Almost everyone in Canada is now taking the US dollar at par. (Of if you prefer to look at it in reverse, it costs 95c to buy a Canadian dollar, today).

You obviously haven't looked at the currency lately. The premium on the US dollar at the banks is a mere 5%. Almost everyone in Canada is now taking the US dollar at par. (Of if you prefer to look at it in reverse, it costs 95c to buy a Canadian dollar, today).

I knew it was bad in Europe but this caught me by surprise as the Canadians kept complaining about the value of their money compared to the US on our cruises this year. I hadn't realized they'd caught up too. I wonder if Australia has too?

Frank

It's a favourite past time. Some people remember the days of the USD 1 = CAD 1.85 or more likely the USD 1 = CAD 1.60. But the Canadian dollar has been slowly rising, about 7% per annum under the Bush administration. (Just a fact, not a political statement, so don't get in a huff, people!) Current forecasts say that we should reach parity in under a year, which hasn't happened since 1972 (Nixon administration.) and should continue from there.

Remember, Canada has an entirely different economy from the US. We are each other's largest trading partners but they are quite different economies.

The Canadian people got very upset at the level of deficits under the Conservatives between 1984 and 1993. The next government that was elected promised that they would balance the budget within 5 years. Canada has had balanced budgets since 1997 and even the suggestion of a deficit can get a government thrown out. Deficits are seen as endangering our health-care system and no one wants to do that.

PS: The AUD has also increased in value, though not as much as the CAD, which has increased against the EUR as well. The GBP has gained a bout 1% on the CAD in the last year, so it's basically stead against the GBP.

It's a favourite past time. Some people remember the days of the USD 1 = CAD 1.85 or more likely the USD 1 = CAD 1.60. But the Canadian dollar has been slowly rising, about 7% per annum under the Bush administration. (Just a fact, not a political statement, so don't get in a huff, people!) Current forecasts say that we should reach parity in under a year, which hasn't happened since 1972 (Nixon administration.) and should continue from there.

Remember, Canada has an entirely different economy from the US. We are each other's largest trading partners but they are quite different economies.

The Canadian people got very upset at the level of deficits under the Conservatives between 1984 and 1993. The next government that was elected promised that they would balance the budget within 5 years. Canada has had balanced budgets since 1997 and even the suggestion of a deficit can get a government thrown out. Deficits are seen as endangering our health-care system and no one wants to do that.

PS: The AUD has also increased in value, though not as much as the CAD, which has increased against the EUR as well. The GBP has gained a bout 1% on the CAD in the last year, so it's basically stead against the GBP.

It appears to have happened in the last four months as you can see from this graph.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/CAD/graph120.html

Since it seemed to happen so rapidly, I wonder why it has not seemed to be news worthy in the US? It sure took me by surprise.

Frank

It appears to have happened in the last four months as you can see from this graph.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/CAD/graph120.html

Since it seemed to happen so rapidly, I wonder why it has not seemed to be news worthy in the US? It sure took me by surprise.

Frank

There is not a single American reporter stationed in Canada. And to be honest, the only time I ever hear the word Canada mentioned in US news is when it has to do with a Republican slamming out medical system as if they actually know anything about it.

Can anyone recommend a nice "quaint" restaurant near the port? I would like to have a light meal, like some soup, nice French bread, cheeses, and of course a nice wine. (maybe something chocolate for dessert!)

We like small restaurants with some atmosphere.

Our ship had a time change for leaving Quebec, and we will have time for an early dinner.

The only people I have heard slamming the Medical system in Canada were our tablemates from Canada on the Summit who went to Boston to get a hip replaced rather then waiting eight months to get it done back home.

There are queues, that's true. You don't get anything instantly unless it's an emergency. You are lucky about not hearing any more than that. The first few years of the Clinton admin we kept on hearing it on the news with lovely news bites from the US. In any case, dead subject.

Can anyone recommend a nice "quaint" restaurant near the port? I would like to have a light meal, like some soup, nice French bread, cheeses, and of course a nice wine. (maybe something chocolate for dessert!)

We like small restaurants with some atmosphere.

Our ship had a time change for leaving Quebec, and we will have time for an early dinner.

To be honest, I avoid Quebec city. But there are a number of restaurants on Rue St-Pierre, Rue St-Paul and Rue du Sault-au-Matelot. They should all have soup. If it's Friday, I can pretty much tell you that it will be Yellow Pea soup. As for French bread, you will have to ask. Most restaurants won't serve it because it goes stale after a few hours because of the lack of oil.

There are queues, that's true. You don't get anything instantly unless it's an emergency. You are lucky about not hearing any more than that. The first few years of the Clinton admin we kept on hearing it on the news with lovely news bites from the US. In any case, dead subject.

won't serve it because it goes stale after a few hours because of the lack of oil.

"Access to a waiting list is not access to a cure." -- Canadian Supreme Court, upholding a doctor's right to have a private practice.

My own version of this is "Equal access to a waiting list is not equal access to healthcare".

At least it's now more affordable for Canadians to get health services in the US. (G)

Frank

The right to private care is allowed. But it has to be 100% private, no public facilities can be used. That makes it prohibitively expensive. But in any case, most Canadians wouldn't give up their right to be part of the system.

Archived