Dawn Owner's Suites--Question

greenie

I'm curious as to whether there is any reason why one might be preferable to another. Are they all the same and the only difference is starboard or port side?

I have not yet made it all the way to the owners suite but one thing to keep in mind. The Dawn Webcam provides a great view of the deck 9 starboard Owners suite. This could be good if you want to wave to all the CC members and friends back home. Not so good if you don't want the world to see you tanning on a port day :eek:

Dawn0123.jpg.7adc0c513b3bb1be6e08c0885c2934d8.jpg

They are similar - but not the same. The ones on the higher deck have an alcove for the dining table, the ones on deck 9 don't (the living area is a big rectangle so the dining table is out in the open). The bathrooms are also laid out very differently. If I remember correctly, the front balcony on deck 9 was larger than the one for deck 10. I stayed in one on Deck 9. By looking at the photos of the ones on deck 10, it appears the main living room is *slightly* bigger than the ones on deck 9 (by about the size of the alcove), but in my opinion, the main bath was better in the deck 9 suite than what is shown in the photo for the deck 10.

(just omit the spaces in the URL below)

http:// www . cruise diva . com/nor_dawn4.htm

Thanks for the input.

Interesting comments about the alcove and bathrooms. How were the bathrooms on Deck 9 nicer, Bigsweeps?

I just found out something interesting ... I was on the NCL site and did what someone out there once suggested (thanks, whoever you are). I went thru the online process as if I was going to book--got to where I choose a cabin and then clicked on each room number for the owner's suites to get the info specific to the cabin. Do you know that the ones on Deck 9 said 571 sq ft plus balcony 150 sq ft. And the ones on Deck 10 said 750 sq ft plus balcony 150 sq ft! That's a fairly big difference size-wise--about 180 sq ft difference in the suite itself!

Never trust those numbers on NCL's website. There might be a 50 square foot difference (for the alcove) - but not 200! I was in the 9th floor owner's suite and also got to see the one above me. It was only SLIGHTLY bigger.....definitely not more than the dining alcove in the photos. The bath on the 9th floor one was set up so well - picture a large square bathroom.....it had a huge dressing room and closet on the left, then a fantastic steam shower with multiple heads next to the closet on the left. The double sinks would be straight ahead if you were standing in the doorway. The big whirlpool tub was on the right with a window looking outside (and I'm pretty sure it was bigger and lower than the one on deck 10 so you could look outside when you were in it). Then closest to you on the right is the enclosed toilet "room". It was just much more open and easy to navigate than what is shown for deck 10's suite. Deck 10 is long and narrow and not very well laid out in comparison.

The 9th floor suite has georgeous jewel tones - like sapphire blue textured walls (and some that are solid cherry color wood). I thought it was much nicer looking than the 10th floor suite - but I guess that's personal opinion.

Regardless of which one you choose, you really can't go wrong. Each one has plusses. Don't sweat it and just book what feels right to you.

The living area looked just like this but with sapphire blue walls and different carpet (nicer IMO):

In this photo, the dining table would be behind you, and the bar, foyer and 2nd bath would be on the right out of view.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/170313102TXnxxK

Wow, Bigsweeps, that looks incredible! Thank you for all those details.

I can't stand it, I want one so much. My cruise isn't until May and I already called my TA and had her call the upsell number to find out how much more it would cost! Silly, I know, but I was curious.

Big *gulp*! More than $2700 additional now. But the upsell person told my TA it's way too early for any kind of bargain, no bargaining happens until 60 days before the cruise. So I will hold my breath, hope like crazy, and try again in about a month!

Just as a point of reference, NCL tries to get 50% of the advertised fare for an upsell. So if the owner's suite normally goes for $4,500 per person, NCL will try to get $2,250 per person (which includes whatever you already paid for the room you booked.). So if you were paying $1500 per person for a balcony (I'm just using this number as an example), they will try to get $750/pp more for the upsell.

The only time you can get below that 50% mark is when they are desperate to move people out of the cheap cabins and people aren't biting on the upsells (which doesn't happen often). If demand is really high for the suites (which on the Dawn it has been lately), then they might try to go for the 60% threshold.

They won't even start dealing until about 40-45 days before the cruise.

And let me tell you - the perks are great! There's nothing better than having the best balcony reserved for you at a show and walking in at the last minute to the VIP seats with the best view in the house.

BigSweeps, we have an AD Suite now--my figuring brings me to $2700 being the difference. So are you saying it's possible I could get the upgrade for 1350? I wonder if the owner suites normally sell out by then ... I want one I want one.

:D

No - you could get the upgrade cheaper than that. It isn't 50% of the upsell cost - it's 50% of the normal cost. So if you look at NCL's posted prices for the Dawn in May from their website (I realize you might have shopped around and could have a better price - but I'm just using these numbers as an example.)

An AA is $4029 per person, an AD is $2659 per person. The goal of their upsell is to get half of the AA ($2000 per person). Since the AD is already over that figure, they will still try to get what they think they can. (In cases like this, you're better off being in a non-suite to get an upsell because you will pay less overall). On my last cruise, I was in the same situation as you (but had an AC suite). They ended up asking $300 per person more (even though I was already over the 50% mark of the AA cost). My sister was in a balcony cabin and was quoted only $350/pp to upsell (and she was paying a LOT less than I was).

Normally they don't sell out since there are 4. The really rich people go for the garden villas. And remember - inventory changes......sometimes the people who pay for an AA ask to upsell to the garden villa 2 weeks before the cruise. I've seen that happen many times.

bigsweeps,

you put my mind at ease. We had stayed in a Deck 10 OS on the Star and when we booked our cruise on the Jewel there was only Deck 09 OS cabins left. I too looked at the NCL site and thought the cabin would be much smaller. Was the side Balcony the same on both?? Do you have additional pics?? Appreciate your post, never seen another talking about deck 9 OS.

You won't be dissappointed with a deck 9 OS - I promise! If I had my choice, I would pick the deck 9 over the deck 10 because I like the layout better. Everyone books the deck 10 OS suites because the NCL website makes them sound so much better - but they aren't. The side balcony was the same size on both - if you look at the cruise diva link I posted up above, you will see a photo. That is the port side suite. The one I stayed in on Deck 9 was starboard, so it was just like that but flipped (exact same size/layout/furniture). I do have some additional pics - I'll have to dig them up and hopefully post them later today or tomorrow.

Not really. The bathroom entrance in 10006 was a little tougher to navigate although the bathroom layout itself was a little nicer. Also you have full side night stands with drawers in 9006 and in 10006, one side of the bed has a small 1/2 night stand. This makes room for the desk to be in a different spot. 10006 the desk is near the bed and in 9006 it's on the opposite wall near the bathroom entrance. They are both fine but the changing area was a very nice surprise with a mother and daughter traveling together. We both had our own storage and dressing space. 9006 was cramped for more than 1 person dressing at a time.

Sharon

I didn't find the dressing room cramped at all on the 9th floor OS suite - my husband and I both dressed in there with plenty of room to spare. I'll have to post a picture - it's quite large and I'm surprised anyone would find it not adequate for 2 to dress at the same time (obviously if you had privacy issues and didn't want to dress in front of the other person you would dress one at a time in there).

10006 was a different layout all together. When you walked in to the left were a set of drawers, cabinets, safe and a full clothing rack. To the right was the same layout with a vanity in the middle.

In 9006, when you walked in to the left was a vanity, to the right were 2 safes one above the other, a wall of drawers and cabinets and 1 rack for clothing that was a bit cramped for 2 friends traveling together. I liked having my own drawer space and especially my own clothing rack. It was really twice the storage space as in 9006.

Sharon

I'm not saying 10 wasn't bigger (I toured an OS on Deck 10), my point was that 9 was MORE THAN FINE for 2 people (you should see the lack of storage on the Spirit's owner's suites!). To me, the dressing rooms don't matter because I only spend a minute or two a day in there, and as long as my DH and I can fit all of our belongings with room to spare, we're happy.

Thanks to both of you for your response. We are just concerned about the overall living space being comparable in both cabins. We found the deck 10 OS to be the best cabin we have sailed in. If the deck 9 is close we will be thrilled. I just find the NCL site showing it being so much smaller a bit scarry. Do you really think there is 200 sq ft difference in the two cabins??

In my opinion, there's no way it's 200 sq. ft different. The only noticeable differences were the alcove for the dining table and the extra dressing room (maybe 20 sq. feet) in the 10th floor suite. Frankly it isn't anything that would make me not take the 9th floor suite. We had 20 people in ours for a party and there was plenty of room for everyone to move around. I'm sure we could have had more people if we had let people hang out in the bedroom and front balcony. (the front balcony alone could hold 20 people) Just wait until I put the photos up and then you can decide for yourself.

I have no problem being in either cabin.... Don't know how I'll ever go back to not being in an Owners Suite!

I couldn't agree more! I was just on the Spirit and let me tell you.....the OS is such a let down compared to the Dawn/Star OS's. Once you've stayed in one, it's so hard to settle for anything less.

When I booked it, they wouldn't allow more than 2 in the suite (I think it's their way of pushing people to the AB's or the Garden Villa). I know NCL has foldaways available for other rooms - so it's just a matter of getting NCL to override the 2 per AA suite rule. Personally, if I had more than 2, I would get the AB suite (which has an extra bedroom and bath). It just makes it more comfortable for all involved.

Thanks for the info, Bigsweeps. Too late to change accomodations (apart from the Garden Villa :) the sailing is full. We're in the AA and 3 other family members in a JJ interior. My TA thought I might be able to bring my sister into the suite with us after we board by asking the room steward or butler.

Archived