Oasis of the Seas, May 29,2010

kcantrell

Just booked this cruise and didn't find another thread in the Gay & Lesbian forum for this cruise, so started this. If there is another one please give me a link.

Anyone other family going to be on this cruise? Partner & I will be onboard. If your sailing with us, say hi, always nice to meet family onboard.

Ken

We just booked this cruise as well. Two boys from Chicago here – one a first time cruiser and one a veteran cruiser (me). I sailed on Oasis of the Seas on December 1st and met several great gay guys/couples. Strangely though, the FOD meetings weren’t well attended – I guess it was due to their timing. Anyway, we are really looking forward to this cruise. I am in the process of pre-reserving entertainment, optional dinning, and shore excursions at the moment – it’s totally distracting from work!

See you soon...

Dave and Ben

Welcome Guys, was beginning to think we were going to be the only 2 on board. We have cruised (on ships) :D a lot as you can see by my signature.

FOD meetings in the past have tended to not be well attended it seems. Usually meet more family on these boards, then meet on board @ sailaway or sometime.

Look forward to meeting you both. OBTW we are 2 older gents (more commonly called "Old Farts") from Phoenix.

I can see from your signature that you’ve been on quite a few cruises… What did you think of Solstice and Equinox? I have yet to sail on Solstice class and I’ve heard lots of good things. Although I sent my mom on Solstice in the Mediterranean last fall and she wasn’t fan – she didn’t like the décor (nuts, huh?).

I love cruising (being on cruise ships… haha). I am really looking forward to this sailing. It can’t come fast enough.

I’ve had mixed experiences with FOD gatherings on ships. Nothing bad, just some are better attended than others – I think it depends on the time and location. I will say that it was very easy to meet “family” on Oasis despite the poorly attended FOD meetings.

The Trellis bar on central park was a nice place to have early evening cocktails and meet people – I even met I guy who lives on the same street in the same neighborhood as me in Chicago. Later evenings, we made friends in Blaze Nightclub.

I must say the staff was very nice and very social as well. There’s a deck party in the Solarium called Club20 (or something like that) and we interacted with many staff members.

Anyway, it’s going to be a great time!

See ya,

Ben

I really like the Solstice & Equinox, thinking about doing the new Eclipse for Christmas this year. Just depends on what price I can get.

I am having some trouble with this booking for the Oasis. RCCL is screwing me around on the $100 deposit I put down lst year for thier "next Cruise" promo. I can't transfer it to my TA and the TA is holding off paying for the booking until that is done. Last time I am going to put down a deposit. RCCL has stopped allowing on board credit with interliner fares, and I am retired military.

Loved the Martini bar on the Solstice & Equinox, top of the bar is frosted, they have stainless steel that is refrigerated and a nice layer of frost forms on the bar. Martinis are good too!

Hi guys,

Adam and Ken from Michigan here thinking about this cruise, Just got off the Freedom (again) in January and itchin for another one...

Hi Guys, welcome to the board, come join us, prices are great right now for this sailing.

Ken here also, partner's name is Tom. Hope to see you on the Oasis, We really like the Freedom class ships, been on the Liberty OTS.

Hey Everyone...Peter and Jim from Chicago....Just booked Oasis May 29. Can't wait to meet everyone. Look for the Daddy/Boy couple...I'm 42 and Jim is 61 (but a very young 61...LOL). We're also sailing the Liberty of the Seas May 2, Mariner of the Seas Sept 5, Grandeur of the Seas Oct 9, Majesty of the Seas Oct 18, and Explorer of the Seas Oct 28. We've been on Monarch, Liberty, and Independence so far this year! I guess we're obsessed....LOL.

Welcome aboard, the more the merrier! This board has been rather quiet for this sailing, maybe things will pick up the closer it gets, We are Tom & Ken from Phoenix, Az. We are the two "Old Farts" on this cruise, I am 66 and Tom is 73.

We should all meet for sail away at one of the bars to get the cruise started off right!

See you onboard.

Hey Peter and Jim

You seriously live in Chicago? How funny, Dave and I live in Chicago too. We both live in Lakeview. What part of the city are you guys in? It’s such a small (gay) world… I almost can’t believe it. In December on Oasisof the Seas, I randomly met a gay guy who lives on my street.

Looks like you guys are addicted to cruises… I think I suffer from the same affliction. I am so looking forward to this trip!

It would be funny to meet up for a drink sometime before the cruise here in the city. Let me know if you’re interested.

Take care,

Ben

Ben and Dave.....Jim and I are in Chicago....in the Andersonville area. We're just north of Foster Ave near Hamburger Mary's! If we don't do it before the cruise, we will definitely meet up for a drink (or several...LOL) on the cruise. We're sailing on the Liberty of the Seas on May 2, so perhaps we could meet sometime after we return from that cruise.....

Peter

Hi all, don't know what anyone has planned for Cozumel, but here is a web page with lots of info on Cozumel and lots of different tours. We are thinking of doing the Playa Uvas (Sp) all inculsive for $34 pp. Sounds and looks good.

We did an all inclusive in Costa Maya a few yrs back and it was fantastic.

Here is the url

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/blogcategory/76/64/

if the link doesn't work, just go to thisiscozumel.com

• 2 weeks later...

It is kind of funny - this thread is a little slow – it’s all good.

We are pretty much all set for this trip. We don’t plan on having dinner in the main dining room the entire cruise. We have confirmed reservations for 150 Central, Giovanni’s, Chef’s Table, Solarium Bistro, and Chops. We plan on going to Izumi’s and Vintages on the first and last night of the cruise. We’ve got all our shows booked. The only show I didn’t booked is the comedy show. The only thing up in the air is our shore excursions. I have been to all the ports many times and all the ports will be new for Dave, so we are still trying to decide.

I’ve heard mixed stories about who is going to be our Cruise Director – I am personally hoping for Richard Spacey. I know that Ken Rush is on right now and the CD is supposed to be changing soon.

I can’t believe it’s only 3 weeks from Saturday; although it can’t come quickly enough!

I/we plan on attending the first FOD get together so long as we don’t have a conflict. In December on Oasis, the FOD party was something like 30 minutes after we set sail and was set in the champagne bar. Obviously, it was not well attended (my friend and I didn’t go, but we were told that only a couple of people showed up).

I know they don’t list the FOD events in the Cruise Compass and you have to look for the board that lists group events (as I recall it may be near the guest relations desk now).

I know personally, I enjoy pre-dinner drinks at the Trellis Bar in Central Park – I’m guessing Dave and I may be regulars there ;-)

Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone soon…

Ben

It is kind of funny - this thread is a little slow – it’s all good.

I’ve heard mixed stories about who is going to be our Cruise Director – I am personally hoping for Richard Spacey. I know that Ken Rush is on right now and the CD is supposed to be changing soon.

I/we plan on attending the first FOD get together so long as we don’t have a conflict. In December on Oasis, the FOD party was something like 30 minutes after we set sail and was set in the champagne bar. Obviously, it was not well attended (my friend and I didn’t go, but we were told that only a couple of people showed up).

I know personally, I enjoy pre-dinner drinks at the Trellis Bar in Central Park – I’m guessing Dave and I may be regulars there ;-)

Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone soon…

Ben

Trellis Bar in Central Park sounds good to me. Just playing it by ear as to dining. We are on my-time and it has worked out great in the past. Only booked the Aqua Show so far, might do more when I get back from Salt Lake City on Mon. Going up there for the weekend.

Have sailed with Ken Rush a couple time and Think he is pretty good. Not sailed with Richard yet. Gordon Watley is great too.

Se you in 3 wks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim and I just got back from 7-nights on the Liberty of the Seas....fantastic! Even with so many cruises, this was our first stop in Labadee. We loved it. We're excited to return to Labadee on the Oasis, too! It was about 90 degrees every day, and the seas were calm calm calm. Hopefully, we'll have the same luck in a couple of weeks. We're flying a lot for the next 2 weeks...(we are both flight attendants), and then....OASIS! Ben and Dave, we'd still love to get together for drinks before the cruise, but if it doesn't work out, we'll see you on board.

Peter

I will be travelling alone on the NCL Epic in Oct. I keep seeing references to FOD meetings. How do you know about them? Are they listed in the daily bulletins aboard ship?

Not sure, but I think on NCL they are listed in the daily bulletin. On Royal Carribbean and Carnival, depends on the cruise directon, have seen them listed and have seen them only posted on the bulletin board.:cool:

We're excited to return to Labadee on the Oasis, too! ...(we are both flight attendants

Peter

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, I envy you cruising so often.

Had to chuckle when I read about Labade, first time I was there it was tender in and a couple hammocks, one ramada where lunch was served and about 30-40 booths in the Haitian building, things have really changed since then.

What airline? Have cruised before with a guy from United onboard on a couple ships. Still correspond with them. Just curious, or being nosy! not sure there is much difference:D

See everyone in a couple weeks.

Peter,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Liberty of the Seas. I sailed on her last February and loved her. I agree - Labadee is a great port!

Dave is on a two-week business trip to the UK. He’ll be home, but pretty jet lagged on Friday. These next 12 days before the cruise are pretty chaotic – I am trying to work some extra hours before we leave and I have commitments to my gay kickball league and major issue with my condo (my neighbor caused a huge leak and doesn’t have insurance!!). If by some chance our schedules work out, I’d love to meet for a drink. If not, we’ll be on the same ship for an entire week!

Anyway, I’ve got to get back to work.

Talk soon,

Ben

A guy in my building is a flight attendant for American. I think he only flies the ORD-PVG route, his name is Julian. He and his partner live in California, but maintain a condo in my building as a crash pad/investment.

Dave and I are flying the first American flight to FLL on 05/29. Normally, I like to fly down the night before, but because of scheduling we are flying the day of.

The last time I sailed on Oasis (in December) I met an MD-80 captain for American that lives on my street in Lakeview… it’s a small small gay world!

The last time I sailed on Oasis (in December) I met an MD-80 captain for American that lives on my street in Lakeview… it’s a small small gay world!

And its getting smaller all the time seems like. When I was in Japan, I met a guy from my hometown, a couple years older than me in a gay bar, he was stationed in Japan also. He and my older brother were great friends while in school. Asked if he ever played with my bro. but he said he only came out after hi school, so they never played. My brother was st.

Well we leave next Wed. going down for my birthday on Thur. in FLL. See you all in a wk or so. Travel safely

We are going down on the 28th first flt out....we always go the day before....its too stressful to go the day of....If the first AA flt cancels your out of luck....we only 2 a day there...otherwise Mia is the next choice...See you on the ship.....

Archived