Question about Port of Tourlos at MYKONOS

europe10

This is a question for those who sailed on the Celebrity SOLSTICE last summer on the Eastern Mediterranean cruise. Was the Solstice able to dock at the NEW PORT,north of Mykonos Town, called TOURLOS. I have read that the ship may be too big for this Port and that tendering will be necessary. What was your experience?

We were there on the 11-night cruise that started on 28 September 2009, and we definitely docked at Tourlas.

However, just because Solstice can dock, doesn't mean Solstice necessarily will dock. The day we were there a Princess ship (either Crown or Ruby Princess, so smaller than Solstice) was also there, and it anchored in the bay and tendered into the old harbour. Also on our first visit there, on Galaxy in 2006, we were supposed to anchor, and only heard the day before that we might dock - which in the event we did.

The final factor in the equation is the Meltemi wind. If that gets up (typically in high summer) then the ships don't dock or anchor - it's bye bye Mykonos!

This is a question for those who sailed on the Celebrity SOLSTICE last summer on the Eastern Mediterranean cruise. Was the Solstice able to dock at the NEW PORT,north of Mykonos Town, called TOURLOS. I have read that the ship may be too big for this Port and that tendering will be necessary. What was your experience?

We were on the Solstice in November. We docked and a Princess ship tendered. Mykonos is the first port I've ever been to where I wish we would have tendered. That's because the tenders let you off right where all the restaurants/shops are. If you dock, you are away from everything. The Solstice had a $10 US per person for an all day shuttle pass that took you to the main tourist part of Mykonos.

Archived