Grand Cayman Wave Runner Stingray City Adventure

Riskytou

If you ever have questions a good place to check out is tripadvisor.com, if you are doing the wave runners and using Fat fish adventures they have great reviews on there. Personally I am using Stingray sailing but was going to do the wave runners to get to Stingray City.

Even though I havent used Fat fish adventures Ive heard a lot of good things. You werent specific on which company you are using and I dont think FFA is the only company that provide WW in GC.

Thanks soon I'll find out. We used Island Marketing. I think I found them originally through tripadvisor.

My understanding is that Island Marketing goes through Action Watersports (can be found by googling 'action watersports grand cayman'--ciactionmarine). We went through Action Watersports when we went to Grand Cayman and the tour was $70/person for two people sharing a waverunner (it is now $75/person). They took our credit card number in case we were a no-show but did not charge a deposit. We paid by travelers cheque when we got there.

We had a slight problem at the beginning of the day. We told them that we would use their transportation ($5/person one way). They told us to "Please meet at the Blue Iguana at 12:20 . When you tender off you will turn right and walk about 4 minutes to the blue iguana. It is also next to the Church of God. your bus will be a Blue and White coaster bus the driver should be Deano God's willing." We went to the Blue Iguana early and looked around (it is a shop) & went and looked at other nearby stores before returning around 12:10 local time. We ended up sitting at the Church of God waiting to see the blue & white coaster bus (we saw other people being picked up in other vehicles outside the church because they have a little driveway. By 12:30 we hopped in a taxi that charged us $12.50 total to get to Grand Caymanian Resort. Our tour was at 1pm so we got to the resort on time still. When we got to the resort there was no one at the Action Watersports shed. We were assured by the front desk that they were on tours and on their way back. I rested in a double-hammock & had a snack (that we packed in our bag) while my DH was freaking out a bit. We then saw the wave runners heading towards us and were much relieved. We also met Deano then and DH said that he had recognized Deano from the Blue Iguana when we were there around 11:15am. So I think it was just a communication problem, even though we never saw the bus--but it all worked out fine.

The tour lasts about 2 hours. It was a very small tour--the two of us and one more family of 3. After paying we put our stuff in the shed, which was locked or occupied while we were gone.

You jet out on the wave runners to stingray city. It is maybe a 20 minute ride? The tour guide anchors and ties the other wave runners to his. You can immediately see how much more personal your tour is compared to the other boats that are anchored in the area. The guide 'wrangles' a female stingray for you to hold and kiss (7 years good luck). They also give each person squid to feed the stingray, which was cool. We stayed there for a maybe 30-45 minutes.

We were then given two options--(a) go to Rum Point to grab something to eat & sit on the beach or (b) go snorkeling for a bit. We snorkeled for about 20 minutes & then headed back to the resort.

It was a lot of fun, I recommend it.

Edited by lmt425

• 6 years later...

Hi! Just got back from a Carnival Cruise. We used Action Water Sports in Grand Cayman on June 30, 2016. We missed our pickup at the Blue Iguana because our daily ship newspaper didn't inform that our ship time was one hour behind Grand Cayman time. We called Action with the help of a nice taxi driver who let us use his cell and had to be forced to take a tip for his trouble. Action came out for a second time and picked us up. We felt sorry we created the trouble but they were kind and patient. We booked just an hour for jet skiing near the shore. Action told us we could pay more and experience Starfish Point and Stingray City. We are so glad we went with the more adventurous option!!! Action was so patient with this almost 50 year old mom with a few too many pounds. I got on the jetski fine near the shore in shallower water. I had some trouble at Stingray City getting back on the jetski. It took both guys to get me on. I was very embarrassed but they were so kind and patient. They kept telling me to take my time and that I could do it. Best excursion of our 7 day cruise! Thanks to the fun and wonderful gentleman at Action Water Sports!!!!!!!!! My husband and teenagers loved it!