New Orleans...Car Rental vs Taxi???

Prphan2

We're only going to be in 24 hours before heading to the port. We had originally planned on driving from the Chicago area to NO, but in checking flights the other night, the rates have dropped drastically and we're now flying. Our problem is that I had booked a hotel in Metairie through Travelocity, which is non-refundable. (I've already checked to see if we can transfer the reservation to another location and the answer is no.) We're going to have to take a cab from MSY to the hotel, drop off our bags or check in if we can. Take a cab to do some sightseeing in the French Quarter, catch a cab back to Metairie, and then get one to the port the day of sailing. We thought that if it was possible to rent at MSY and return at the port it would probably be cheaper than all of the cab fares.

Thanks

Hi -

I just looked in the Yellow Pages for New Orleans and there are several car rental places in downtown New Orleans, but none appear to be close to the port. Check with the car rental places. I see Enterprise with a CBD and Canal St. location (you could catch the Canal St streetcar to get back to the river), also Budget & Avis with Canal St. locations. There may be others.

Keep in mind that you will need to pay for parking if you go downtown to the French Quarter. There is some on-street parking (pay the meters Mon - Sat), but it is limited. There are lots and the prices vary depending on the distance. Parking can easily add $10 - $15 to your car rental. A few restaurants do validate parking, but very few in the Quarter.

We're only going to be in 24 hours before heading to the port. We had originally planned on driving from the Chicago area to NO, but in checking flights the other night, the rates have dropped drastically and we're now flying. Our problem is that I had booked a hotel in Metairie through Travelocity, which is non-refundable. (I've already checked to see if we can transfer the reservation to another location and the answer is no.) We're going to have to take a cab from MSY to the hotel, drop off our bags or check in if we can. Take a cab to do some sightseeing in the French Quarter, catch a cab back to Metairie, and then get one to the port the day of sailing. We thought that if it was possible to rent at MSY and return at the port it would probably be cheaper than all of the cab fares.

Thanks

If your staying in Metairie, it appears that your plan of using cabs will be the way for you to go.

I actually live in Metairie, when we went on the Spirit a few months ago, we did the cab thing both to the port and back home.

Nancy -

I did not realize your travel dates when I first posted my reply on car rentals. You are in New Orleans at peak time. You are here on the first weekend of Jazz Fest and the Zurich Classic (PGA golf tournament). I still would not hesitate to go downtown, but I would lean more towards a cab.

Thanks folks! Cabs it will be! Even though we're used to congested traffic in Chicago, we know the city very well. Since we have no clue about NO, we'll leave the driving to those who know what they're doing. :D

Thanks folks! Cabs it will be! Even though we're used to congested traffic in Chicago, we know the city very well. Since we have no clue about NO, we'll leave the driving to those who know what they're doing. :D

I never implied that the cab drivers in New Orleans knew what they were doing!:D:D:rolleyes:

Archived