Mahogany Bay VS Other Excursions

puhkuh

We will be in Roatan 1st week of June on the Carnival Legend. I have been able to find some information about the newly opened Mahogany Bay Resort, but not enough to help with my dilemma. If you have information to the following questions, please reply.

(1) Is Mahogany Bay nice enough to just stay and spend the day there? Besides shopping, eating, and beach is there anything there to do? It just looks really touristy and commercialized from the pics I've seen.

(2) Should we schedule an excursion (private or carnival) and leave the Mahogany Bay area to experience the Island? I am familiar with Victor and Rony, so if we go private it would probably be one of them.

(3) Would anyone recommend Maya Kay?

avoid the iguana farm- what a major waste of $26 for the 4 of us!

I used one of rony's drivers and was extemely disappointed. he did not talk at all, I had to pry any little bits of island info from him, and when we went on a glass bottom tour with him, he sat with a spanish speaking couple and "guided" them during the tour, rather than his actual clients!!!

I haven't been to Mahogany as it wasn't open when we were there in November. However, unless you really just want to hang out at the beach I would say experience the absolute beauty of Roatan. We did Victor Bodden and had Tex as our guide and it was fantastic. I just think that people should experience this lovely island beyond the cruise area.

The weather was cloudy. Humid. And misting rain most of the day.We opted to relax, enjoy Mahogany Bay and simply “chillout” on the beautiful scenic views. The new Mahogany bay is spectacular in appearance and clean. The stores have the same fair as the other islands but in a new setting. The beach was simply perfect with food, drinks, clean bathrooms. Free lounge chairs, roaming security and spectacular ocean views. The ship backs Into the pier using GPS sending units on the narrow channel buoys. The island itself is beautiful but the economic issues of the locals makes the tourist a begging target. We were relaxed and truly enjoyed the non begging inside Mahogany Bay.

My boys (17,16,14) loved the beach at Roatan - they snorkeled nearly the entire time we were there. No pushy sales, plenty of beach chairs there... I honestly think it was their favorite port. The coral is unbelievable.

It would be such a shame if you didn't see this beautiful area. It is our FAVORITE. Use Victor Bodden Tours and see the gorgeous country, have them stop at a beach, take you shopping. Their vans all have ac. Mahagony Bay is all man-made, not natural. You will also love this island if you tour it. Bodden is very reasonable. Just google Victor Bodden Tours in Roatan and check it out.

The weather was cloudy. Humid. And misting rain most of the day.We opted to relax, enjoy Mahogany Bay and simply “chillout” on the beautiful scenic views. The new Mahogany bay is spectacular in appearance and clean. The stores have the same fair as the other islands but in a new setting. The beach was simply perfect with food, drinks, clean bathrooms. Free lounge chairs, roaming security and spectacular ocean views. The ship backs Into the pier using GPS sending units on the narrow channel buoys. The island itself is beautiful but the economic issues of the locals makes the tourist a begging target. We were relaxed and truly enjoyed the non begging inside Mahogany Bay.

This post makes me sad. I'm assuming the poster must have been there before his/her stay in Mahogany Bay on a previous cruise and had a dreadful day of people begging for things. I never felt like a begging target the whole day I spent there. Perhaps if you are just walking through the Coxen Hole area but if you do a private tour guide and actually navigate this island it is beyond beautiful. Didn't have one person beg me for anything in the 6 or more hours of our tour. I can't imagine not having that in my memory of wonderful vacation experiences. I will say, there are people who just want the beach experience (me sometimes) and want to stay within the protected walls of a strictly commercial area and not experience more of the place they are visiting and Mahogany Bay sounds like a great place for that. I do wonder, then, does it really matter what cruise itinerary you choose as long as they have a nice, sterile, americanized cruise terminal and beach area to hang out in?

Carnival only :)

Just to clarify - any of the lines that are owned by CCL (Carnival Cruise Lines) dock there. Costa, Carnival, Princess, HAL for sure dock at MB. IIRC one of the Regent ships also docked there (not 100% certain).

• 1 month later...

I have been to Mahogany Bay, it's nice, and like everyone has said, very commercial with tourist shops and things. I wouldn't spend the day there though. There is so much more to see. I think the beach is not far from there and you may be able to catch a cab to the areas where there are resorts so you can use their facilities for a small fee.

I did the canopy jungle zip lining tour while I was there and it was SO much fun! Our guide, Theris, took us through the city and up to the jungle so we could see the culture of the island, not just the touristy stuff. I would highly recommend Theris by the way. She was super! (http://www.therisroatantours.com)

But whatever you decide to do, don't hangout at the port all day...total waste of an wonderful opportunity.

Archived