North Atlantic weather in April

DenisB

We will be cruising on Azamara's Journey from 11 April from Miami to Barcelona and would like some input on what temperatures to expect. We have a balcony cabin and will want to enjoy sitting out there but are not sure what to pack. I'm not so concerned with ports, but don't know what to expect during the seven days at sea (this is a relocation cruise). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, you won't be in the North Atlantic but in a more temperate part of the Atlantic Ocean. Your weather should be moderate with a lot of sun. 80-85 when you are in Miami. Well ahead of hurricane season. Barcelona should have highs in the low 70's. Should be nice. But you don't say where your home is. If you live in a climate with a harsh winter, your trip should be a treat.

I agree on your terminology re N/S Atlantic Ocean, but I can see why PennyAgain might think otherwise. During WWII, the North Atlantic was thought of as being between England and Greenland. However, as a geography instructor I use the Equator as the demarcation. Either way, any ideas on the temperatures?

OK, I'll stand correction on the terminology. I've traveled in very small ships on the Atlantic which we think of as the area north of Great Britain. In April it can be rotten weather.

However Miami to Barcelona should be very pleasant with the temps I listed in my first post.

Especially on geography which is no longer taught in many schools!

As a result we often have an awful time hiring people who have no knowledge of geography at all.

It is a very sensitive subject for me as I don't have time to teach people what they weren't taught in school.

Thank you for being a teacher of georgraphy! It is a life skill that everyone needs and few have!

Actually, I kind of feel into it. After retiring from the USAF, which gave our family the opportunity to live all over the world, I used my GI Bill to further my education. Since I had so much world travel under my belt, majoring in geography in graduate school seemed a natural. Pretty soon I was asked if I'd consider teaching at the University level, and I jumped at the chance. I sort of "retired" two years ago from that, but still teach online courses at a couple of schools, which allows us to resume our travels. Funny what life deals us sometimes. You're right about a lack of geographical knowledge. It is frightening how ignorant so many people are of very basic geography (like realizing that New Mexico is in the United States!).

We actually test potential hires on basic georgraphy. Most fail. We even tell them as they go through the process that prior to a final interview they will be tested.

Seems that few even try to study up for the test.

Sample question: What ocean touches California?

The Titanic hit an iceburg in April. That is pretty cold, I'd say

Folks that are geographically challenged are so much fun. I spent an hour one day trying to explain that someone couldn't drive to Hawaii

Archived