Hurricane Season

CruisinMermaid

My husband I have been looking at doing a Bahamas cruise in September. The prices are very affordable and my kids are on break from school so the timeline works for us. However, I've read that hurricane season runs from June to December. I tried looking on the boards for any similiar posts but couldn't find anything. What has been your experience cruising to the Bahamas during this time of year? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

My husband I have been looking at doing a Bahamas cruise in September. The prices are very affordable and my kids are on break from school so the timeline works for us. However, I've read that hurricane season runs from June to December. I tried looking on the boards for any similiar posts but couldn't find anything. What has been your experience cruising to the Bahamas during this time of year? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

We have always cruised in Late august. While it is peak time for hurricanes, there is no way to tell or predict one week out of the entire season. We have had to reverse our intineary on one trip, and we missed a port on another. We have cruised and have been within 24 hours ahead or behind a storm and had no problems. Ships are required to stay away from any storms and have state of the art systems to deal with weather.

The worst case scenario IMO is that you would miss a port or have some rough seas, but you will be safe..I would not let the "potential" of a storm stop you from your trip. BUy trip insurance and enjoy the ride....:D

There is no getting around the fact that September is prime time for hurricane season. This year they are also predicting an season. Not trying to scare you, that's just the way it is.

But like the above poster says, I'd go anyway. Could be nothing happens, and if it does, the captain doesn't want to die either........... He'll get you out of the path.

There is no getting around the fact that September is prime time for hurricane season. This year they are also predicting an season. Not trying to scare you, that's just the way it is.

But like the above poster says, I'd go anyway. Could be nothing happens, and if it does, the captain doesn't want to die either........... He'll get you out of the path.

Should have read:

This year they are also predicting an active season.

Well, I just booked our trip this morning, and I'm going to purchase adequate trip insurance, so we're going whether or not there's a hurricane. We're really excited about it. You're right, on a cruise ship the captain can take us away from the hurricane. Maybe we'll just experience some rough waters. At least we're not actually staying on the island. I had family members get evacuated from their hotel rooms and had to stay in the hotel's movie theater for a few days until the storm passed. NOT the way I want to spend a vacation. If we miss port we can still enjoy our time onboard.

I know they can sail away from a storm but was wondering if anyone has had to do this and if they took you to a different port. My Carnival rep said they will. I've been on a cruise before but the ports are what made me come back. I know I'm taking a risk at this time of the year.` I'm actually doing it for my kids (I don't like to fly) because the cruise was o.k. but without the ports I don't know if I'd go on one. If it comes to that I know I don't have a choice but just wondered- where would they take you if they could? Coming out of Jacksonville.

There is a reason the prices are so affordable in Sptember. It is Hurricane prime time. You can never tell. It is a complete crapshoot!

• 2 weeks later...

My 2nd and 3rd RCCL cruises (see signature) were during hurricane season. Good weather both cruises. The Bahamas cruise the only changes to the itinerary that were made were that we couldn't tender at CocoCay on the first day as planned so we went to Nassau early. On our sea day we went back to CocoCay and the waves weren't as rough so we were able to tender.

I know they can sail away from a storm but was wondering if anyone has had to do this and if they took you to a different port. My Carnival rep said they will. I've been on a cruise before but the ports are what made me come back. I know I'm taking a risk at this time of the year.` I'm actually doing it for my kids (I don't like to fly) because the cruise was o.k. but without the ports I don't know if I'd go on one. If it comes to that I know I don't have a choice but just wondered- where would they take you if they could? Coming out of Jacksonville.

Yes, I have had a port changed due to a hurricane. We just had a sea day. There were no choices. Ever-place near the port was part of that storm.

Archived