Seating for Meals?

rfkp

I have booked the Main Seating and I am wondering if this was a good choise. My wife and I will be alone, and we are in our 40's. I am beginning to wonder if a later seating would be better. What kind of crowd can one expect on the Carnival Fantasys Main, Main Second, Late and Late Second's seating. Also, may I have some imput regarding the size of table. I like to keep to my-self while my wife is very out going. I am thinking that I should have picked a large table. Is it too late to change? I just got an e-mail from my wife and she filled with anticipation. Thank You

Robert

Have not sailed Carnival, but have sailed RCI, Princess and Celebrity.

On our first cruise we we hesitant to be seated at large tables. Were seated at a table for 6 on our second cruise and now look forward to sitting at large tables for the simple reasonthat we love meeting people and learning from their experiences. Breaking bread together is a great way to do that.

We still communicate with several couples we have met at our dining tables.

Dianne

Robert, since you will be on a Carnival ship, I can shed some light for you:

You actually haven't 'booked' a certain seating. With Carnival, your "request" for seating is only that - a request. You won't know your dining time until you board the ship and receive your Sail & Sign card, and the dining room and time will be embossed on the card.

Now - if you don't like the time, you can check the "Capers" (daily newsletter), which will be in your cabin when you board. There will be an announcement as to what time the Maitre 'd will be in the dining room to make any changes. At that time, you can also ask for a large or smaller table.

In my opinion, being with a larger group during dinner is much more fun and interesting. Lots of stimulating conversation, meeting new folks - it's all good.:)

Our preference is for the later seating. The early seating is just too early for us, of course the late seating is a bit late. But, we can get a quick snack in the afternoon, relax, take a nap, get ready at our leisure. Or, get ready and have time for cocktails before dinner. The earlier seating you have to stop what you are doing to go get ready for dinner. You don't say when your cruise is, if at a time during school vacation, many families take the earlier seating. That in itself is enough for us to go to the later seating.

Regarding table size, we always request a large table. It can be fun getting to know your tablemates. You can change your request through your travel agent.

Have a great cruise!

Robert, since you will be on a Carnival ship, I can shed some light for you:

You actually haven't 'booked' a certain seating. With Carnival, your "request" for seating is only that - a request. You won't know your dining time until you board the ship and receive your Sail & Sign card, and the dining room and time will be embossed on the card.

Now - if you don't like the time, you can check the "Capers" (daily newsletter), which will be in your cabin when you board. There will be an announcement as to what time the Maitre 'd will be in the dining room to make any changes. At that time, you can also ask for a large or smaller table.

In my opinion, being with a larger group during dinner is much more fun and interesting. Lots of stimulating conversation, meeting new folks - it's all good.:)

I have to agree with Cotton and many others. IT's much more fun to be with a group to share in laughter, stories and general BS than to be sitting alone in one of those tiny little tables for two. Many life long friendships began at dinner tables. Enjoy...........Gail J.

It all comes down to personal taste and opinion. My wife and myself have

been at tables of 8, and 4. Both were fun. As for late vs. main. We prefer

main seating to give us time to make room for the midnight buffet plus its

closer to the time we normaly eat at home. Our second cruise we had a

table for 6 with my inlaw but the 3rd couple (or 2 singles) never showed

if there was anyone assigned to the seats.

I think late seating is better, otherwise after an excursion you're rushing to get get showered and dressed. I'm not much of a shmoozer either and we were seated at a large table(10). But I surprised myself and actually did ok, but we were fortunate to have some very likable tablemates. I did see a table for 2 being used by a couple who had to be at least 90. Hope my wife and I can get that table someday.

On 4 Carnival cruises we have opted for a variety of choices.

1. Table for 4 - just our family. It was nice - but the kids often ate with the Cape Carnival group (pizza parties, etc). We had lots of time just by ourselves.

2. Large table for 4 couples. This was our preferred. We did this twice. Both times we had a great group that would often talk into the night (good thing about late seating is you don't get kicked out of the dining room). Carnival tries to match people who are of similar ages/families. There were 2 other families with kids on the cruise where our kids ate with us at the large table. We all had a good time.

We prefer late seating so we can enjoy the sunset, not be rushed for dinner. If we get hungry, we grab a plate of sushi to eat while we get dressed.

Eating late was a problem for us as we could never partake in the gala buffet. or raid the midnight pizza... we were always too full from dinner that got over by 10pm. Then trying to sleep with all that rich food hangin gin there. I prefer early seating now. So by the time I am ready for bed at least some of it has digested.. (depending on how much I eat after midnight..LOL)

Archived