Which is the nicest hotel in Fort Lauderdale?

minner80

Tripadvisor is not in business to provide reviews, Tripadvisor is in business to sell travel. Since commissions from some outlets are better then others you will tend to see better reviews from them. Tripadvisor has no way of keeping competing hotels, restaurants etc from posting negatives from each other, nor do they have any way of keeping them from posting positives about themselves as well. With that said, I wouldn't even waste my time with Tripadvisor. You want genuine, honest, objective reviews, look no further they are right here. ;)

How does TripAdvisor get commissions? There is no mechanism to book hotels on their website, nor do any hotel websites ask if you were referred by TripAdvisor. If you pick a link to get pricing for a hotel, you go to Expedia, Travelocity, or other travel websites, but not the hotel's.

Sure, anyone can post anything they like about a hotel for whatever reason on TripAdvisor. But don't fool yourself, the same happens here. Yes, TripAdvisor accepts advertising, but so does this site.

Overall, are their reviews there accurate? I can't say. But I do know that when I have booked a hotel that I researched on TripAdvisor (at least ten times now), I have never been surprised at those hotels. I set my expectations after analyzing--not just reading--the reviews and my expectations have been met. I've picked up some handy tips, too, like which rooms to avoid at the Crowne Plaza Silversmith in Chicago because of noise from proximity to the El.

Cruise Critic message boards are great for sharing information, but hotels are not the focus. Folks here are helpful, but if you are looking for info on a particular hotel, you will only reach those who have cruised who have stayed at that hotel who happen to read the Hotels board. I love Cruise Critic, but it's not the best tool in town for hotel information.

I have decided to give Priceline a try for the first time. Thanks with all your suggestions on the best place to stay. We really want to stay at Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa. So if I understand correctly, I should bid for a resort in the beach area. How much should I bid. We will be staying Thursday, November 11. According to Marriotts web, I would have to pay $280. a night. Please advise, I am a little bit nervous about using Priceline. It seems to good to be true.

You really should go to biddingfortravel.com and carefully read the FAQ section for hotels. Its important to understand the idea of free rebids. Also you can look up Ft. Lauderdale and perhaps get an idea about recentsuccessful bids for the hotel type and time frame of interest.

I have decided to give Priceline a try for the first time. Thanks with all your suggestions on the best place to stay. We really want to stay at Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa. So if I understand correctly, I should bid for a resort in the beach area. How much should I bid. We will be staying Thursday, November 11. According to Marriotts web, I would have to pay $280. a night. Please advise, I am a little bit nervous about using Priceline. It seems to good to be true.

I felt the same way and checked the sites listed above (biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com) and it worked out well for me. We got the Hyatt Pier 66 for $95.00 for one night. $315.00 was the internet rate for the same room. The hotel was beautiful and we had a great time. Good luck. Do as obriendan suggests and do some homework first. You will do ok.

I bid $130. yesterday for resort in beach area and it was denied. If I understand correctly I have to wait 72 hours before bidding again. How high do you think I will have to go. Thanks

You do have to wait unless you have some free re-bids.

You may be bidding too soon. November is 10 months away and it is very possible the Marriott has not "unloaded" whatever rooms it will eventually unload to Priceline. We got the Marriott Marina for $75 - and we'll be staying there a week from Friday prior to a cruise. The reservation was made about 4 months ago. On the other hand, we did have a hard time getting a comparable hotel in Miami for that kind of price for post cruise - and had to pay about double that for the Sheraton Biscayne Bay - but then again, we are talking major high season, including the beginning of spring break, by the time our cruise gets back. To be successful on Priceline, as was previously suggested, we strongly recommend reading biddingfortravel.com very carefully. Also, we've had mixed results from tripadvisor.com - it's important to read the positive and not so positive reviews - and concentrate on the most recent. Jeff

If price is no object...stay at the Lago Mar! Wonderful location. Feels like a private condo. The grounds are beautiful and the beach is HUGE! Nice walk on the beach in the morning, to the end of the pier for ship viewing. My husband & I like to stay there pre-cruise to get our trip started on the right foot!!

minner80 -

We stayed in an oceanfront room at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort last year on Oct 23rd after our Caribbean Princess cruise and the hotel was wonderful. Great location right on the beach with amazing views. I had tried to get it on Priceline for more than 6 months, but was unsuccessful. I had booked a cancellable reservation there "just in case" Priceline didn't come through, which I suggest you do also. Friday, Nov 11th is Veteran's Day so maybe the Marriott Harbor Beach won't even release rooms to Priceline because that's a holiday weekend?? Also, I checked their website and for your date the price for a standard room (no waterview and no balcony) is $289 per night. The ocean/poolview room is $309 per night and the oceanfront room is $319 per night. If you are going to try Priceline, don't expect more than the standard room, which is fine as long as you will be satisfied without a balcony or waterview.

I liked the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort enough to book it again this year before our Oct 25th Coral Princess cruise. Since the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show this year is Oct 27 through Oct 31, hotel availability prior and after those dates is at a premium. During those dates, the Marriott is charging $500+ a night!!! Be thankful you aren't looking at those dates. :eek:

Dee

• 4 weeks later...

I've watched and heard several denies as I too was attempting to get a 4* hotel in FLL for 4/2 during Spring Break. After several weeks of attempting to bid for a resort or 4* on PRICELINE, I made a last minute attempt today for $159 selected only RESORT and Ft. Lauderdale Beach Area. I was finally accepted winning the Marriott Harbor Beach. We'll be staying there for one night for our Post-Cruise. I compared this rate with what the hotel direct rates listed, and their price is $199 per nt. Sounds like I've at least saved 25% through priceline.

Archived