Back from Destiny, Wonderful Time!

prpattycakes

Thank you for posting your review of the Destiny!! Always nice to read what others opinions are - especially since all the negatives were out there a few months ago!!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! Looking forward to our B2B on the Destiny in 3 weeks!!

Have a great time! I wish I was back on again.

Just to clarify, I would not move anyone's personal belongings such as their shoes, bags etc, the only thing I removed was their carnival towel.

I figured it was the "random" item that was used to save a chair rather than someone's personal items that you moved. I remember a photo of a lonely orange sitting on a chair as a place saver. I believe someone joked about taking the chair and eating the orange to "hide the evidence". I was just wondering what the atmosphere of the beach was in terms of chair hogs.

Yes, i heard about the room at the suites, but when I tried to book it, it was a 2 night minimum stay and it was cheaper to book the shore excursion this time.

I left at 2:30 because I wanted to go back to the shops and have my daughter's hair braided, and we still had time to spare. You'll be fine around 3:30. Although when the ship says departure at 5:00 you must be on board by 4:30, but that will still give you enough time.

thank you, i noticed the day we'll be in port is listed as 'sold out' when i went to check my rate @ comfort suites...guess the secret is out.

Can you tell me more about the hair braiding? How much was it in each port and what didn't you like about the first time it was done?

We will be on Destiny later this year with the same ports and my girls like to get their hair braided.

I'm taking the Destiny next January. The last two nights on the Ecstasy, I had turned in by 8p.m. there was no going out! I was pooped too, I slept like a log, and went all day. I wish I could sleep as soundly at home... then go out on my porch and see the ocean LOL

Can you tell me more about the hair braiding? How much was it in each port and what didn't you like about the first time it was done?

We will be on Destiny later this year with the same ports and my girls like to get their hair braided.

Queeni,

I was trying to upload the two pics to show you but am having trouble. I can email them to you if you would like. my email is prpattycakes@hotmail.com.

At grand turk, if you walk to the right side of the beach there is a sign that says you are now leaving the cruise center area, there were some locals who did the braiding. I told her I wanted a nice design. They did 10 braids half head and there was a lot of space between the braids, the parts were crooked and it looked very messy.. I have braided my daughters hair many times myself and it has come out much better.

She says she usually charges $40 but she charged me $30.

In Nassau as soon as you step through the cruise center there is a shaded booth that does the braiding, you cant miss them because they will get you as soon as you come out. Anyway they have price lists posted on the wall she said what I wanted would cost me $80 but she will work with me and brought it down to $50. Just talk them down beacause they are hungry for the business and wont turn you away.

However, she did a beautiful job, she made 25 braids, again half head perfectly spaced, perfectly parted, uniform in size and then they put beads at the crown of the head.

Brenda was the lady that did it. She is very good.

Again if you want to see before and after pics email me.

thank you, i noticed the day we'll be in port is listed as 'sold out' when i went to check my rate @ comfort suites...guess the secret is out.

Thats too bad, alot of people on cc know about it. That where I found out too.

I called Atlantis directly and they told me that if it is not packed they can sell them at the hotel for $80 directly. I wouldve done that , but I was scared they were busy because the online excursion through carnival was sold out when I checked a month ahead of time, so I did not want to take the chance and ordered them on board. Once I was at the park thouhgh I did not think it was crowded, maybe I wouldve been able to get it. Ill know for next time.

Hey Prpattycakes,

I was on the princess ship that pulled in at the Turks Caicos Islands. There were two people left behind from the Destiny. I saw them running to catch the ship as she was pulling out. Do you know what happened to them. I heard they couldn't go to the next stop because it was their private island. I felt bad for them as they only had bathing suits and towels. We were curious if they ever caught up with the ship. I was on the Destiny last year and I loved it. Glad you had a great time.

Hey Prpattycakes,

I was on the princess ship that pulled in at the Turks Caicos Islands. There were two people left behind from the Destiny. I saw them running to catch the ship as she was pulling out. Do you know what happened to them. I heard they couldn't go to the next stop because it was their private island. I felt bad for them as they only had bathing suits and towels. We were curious if they ever caught up with the ship. I was on the Destiny last year and I loved it. Glad you had a great time.

Sorry, I didnt hear about that, Im not sure what happened to them. I do know they were calling a few names over the pa system right before we were about to sail away, maybe it was them.

I hope they made it somehow.

Sandpiper,

My daughter is an arts and craft person, so decorating her own tshirt was really cool for her. She also likes the dance parties they have.

I saw very few kids bring their own beach toys, but that is a good idea, you might want to mention it in your roll call so you will have the assortment of toys.

The playground is not in the water, it is in the sand there is water flowing through the slides but there is no pool of water in that area.

I did not see any fish swimming around. I did not hear anything about sea lice. and no norvirus on our cruise.

prpattycakes,

Thank you so much for responding to my questions....I appreciate it! :)

Thank goodness you said you heard nothing about the norovirus and sea lice! Haven't seen on our roll call that anyone is bringing kids along but i'm sure plenty will be on the ship!

prpattycakes - would you happen to know who the band was onboard? I believe it used to be Blood Power but heard they are no longer on the Destiny? Also, did you happen to visit the Piano Bar at all??

Sorry, I saw the band for about 10 minutes at a night time deck party but did not know who it was, and I did not visit the Piano Bar. Sorry

Thanks prpattycakes for the info on the hair braiding. Our first stop is Nassau so my girls will be happy to get it done early. I have 2 girls and they each have a friend so I'm hoping we can negotiate a good price for 4:D.

Got off Destiny yesterday, had a great 5 days. I was expecting the worst after all the negative feedback I have read, and even tried to change my plans to another ship, but this was the only one that would work for us, so I sucked it up and just went with it. All I can say is when we got off saturday morning the kids of course were very sad, and I was a bit saddened myself to leave, but like I told my kids I can't spend $4,000 every 5 days.

I will give a general review, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I will also address the things many people complained about.

I went with 2 kids my son 11 and daughter just turned 6 two days prior, this was our second carnival cruise.my mother in law, first time and my cousin with her 2 boys 2 and 6 first carnival.

Left LGA NYC on 7am flight got to MIA at 10:30, didnt check any bags, went downstairs got a cab as soon as I walked out the door.Cab ride was $24 . My cousind was on a 6am flight out of LGA to FLL and took SAS shuttle for $15pp and $10 per child. We actuall saw each other in the cab/shuttle at a red light right before POM so we all arrived at the same time. Was at POM by 11:15am.

Gave porters the bags, went inside the building, waited about 12 minutes to go through screening, got inside, checked myself in at the self serve kiosk, set up sail and sign at the kiosk, got my sail and sign card from a rep and was given a number waiting to embark. We sat the the children's area for about 6 mins, went to the restroom and then our zone was called.

Waited in line about 10 more minutes and was finally on board the ship around 11:45.

Visited the shore excursion desk, only 2 people in line ahead of me, was greeted by the camp carnival counselors and then headed upstairs to lido deck for lunch. We were told rooms would be ready by 1:30

So far no problems. Flew in same day, had no air delays, Was on board by 12 noon.

So, many people complained of long lines, yes there was a line at the buffet big deal. The food was good, large variations at the buffet, waited a whole 15 mins to get food, sit down and eat. So we hung out for about an hour took a look around lido deck and went to our rooms around 1 pm. We had 2 inside cabins, on 6th floor front of ship starboard side. Me and my daughter shared one, my mother in law and my son shared another not uncomfortable at all. My cousin had oceanview for her and 2 boys one king bed one twin on the second floor. Beautiful room.

My tequila, and son's soda card from the bon boyage dept was waiting in the cabin beautfilly wrapped.

We walked around the ship for a while, waiting for sail away, and then found some lounge chairs to hang out on. I had my first rum punch, I loved it. Ship finally sailed at 5pm. About 530 we went back to room to check for luggage delivery to get ready for dinner. Luggage had arrived, we got ready and went to dinner. We ate at universe early seating 4th floor table 502. Waiters Mahendra and Ida were so nice and attentive to us and the childrent. Food was great and satisfying. Great low sugar, low fat options for dessert.

The rest of the night we just walked around, got familiar with the ship, and relaxed for the next day at sea.

So for some the the complaints that many cc members mentioned:

The free lemonade was good, it just needed to be mixed with 1/4 cup water. The ice tea I did not like, I like sweetened ice tea mix, this one was more of a brewed unsweetened taste. So I was on lemonade and water all cruise. And the water was not horrible. I like tap water without ice, so it worked well for me.

I did not notice the broken glass that many have mentioned, I dont know if I didnt walk by it, but Im pretty sure I covered pretty much the whole ship.

The most I waited on a buffet line at any given time was appx 15mins, except for one breakfast morning it was about 30 mins.

The first day and only the first day when it was time for the muster drill, I did notice the smell of sewage around the fifth floor, but I never noticed it again.

Between the three cabins our group had, none of them had backup problems with the plumbing.

Camp carnival staff was very nice to my kids, my kids loved going there every chance it was open.

As far as the chair hogs, I cannot comment on because I never layed out on deck except for sail away and after dark, but I did hear some cruisers complain about it.

So pretty much that was day 1. No problems, no drama, no disappointments. I will write some more later tonight.

You got tequila delivered to your room? How?

So glad to here you had such a great time. Just wanted to let you know how extremely informative your post was. I am about to book this exact same cruise for November. So glad you gave a play by play so I can go back and refer to this.

One question for you. We will not be bringing our kids so I was wondering if there is an adult only pool or area that you know of on the ship? And was your cruise mostly families, couples or a mix of both. Don't get me wrong. I love kids (my house is the flop house in the neighborhood) but I want to know that I can get some quiet me time too.

Thanks!

So glad to here you had such a great time. Just wanted to let you know how extremely informative your post was. I am about to book this exact same cruise for November. So glad you gave a play by play so I can go back and refer to this.

One question for you. We will not be bringing our kids so I was wondering if there is an adult only pool or area that you know of on the ship? And was your cruise mostly families, couples or a mix of both. Don't get me wrong. I love kids (my house is the flop house in the neighborhood) but I want to know that I can get some quiet me time too.

Thanks!

Im not certain about an adult only area.

There were many families on our ship, of the 3300 passengers on board, there were about 1200 kids I think mostly because of spring break. There were also couples only and single young adults.

Im thinking if you go in November there might be less kids since school will be in session, unless it's Thanksgiving break?

One more thing (for now at least). Did you mind having the interior room? Not having a window? And what deck were you on. Whic decks do you NOT recommend?

I guess it depends on your preference. I was mostly in the room to sleep, nap and/or shower. So, I did not mind the interior. I know there are many people that enjoy sitting on the balcony from the comfort of their own room.

As for as oceanview, I guess its nice to peek out the window every now and then to see whats out there, and also you'll know its morning when you wake up.

The interior is completely dark, so unless you have a clock, you really have no sense as to what time of day it is. (i picked up a good tip here on cc, to bring a digital alarm clock if you are doing interior).

I was on deck 6. My cousin was on deck 2, and she told me that she felt more motion on her deck than mine.

Except for deck 6, when I went to bed, I heard the echos of loud music, maybe from the disco? But I was so tired I knocked out rather quickly, so I can't say that it bothered me.

Archived