Musica Eastern Med

pgy

Just got back from a nice vacation on the Musica. :) This was the first trip out of Venice after a long trip from Brazil. I can see that many of the complaints I have read on the boards here were valid, but we enjoyed ourselves. The first day was bit unorganized :( but they recovered (ie: mini bars not restocked after the long trip; cold shower the first morning; robes delivered the 3rd day).

I can see how this would not be the cruise line for people who cannot tolerate crowds, children, strollers, or lines. There are 3,000 passengers and lines should be expected. Kids are free. The food was a bit repetitive in the buffet, but it was all good. Our waiters and room staff were wonderful. The ports were great and the 3 tours we took were worth the money. We even had to visit the infirmary and because the injury was an accident (our fault), there was no charge for the after hours first aid visit or the doctor re check the next day. There were no errors on our bill. They give Canadian and American guests 1 liter of bottled water each day, probably in response to the criticism of having no "free" water available. There was always "free" water available at the buffet, FYI. We knew this before and ordered extra for dinner with our wine package.

The only real complaint we had that can be controlled by the cruise line (you cannot control the rudeness/pushiness factor of guests) is the tour desk. Meeting times for tours changed a few times. Also, it would have been much more efficient to have the ability to book Shuttle Services to town (Dubrovnik, Mykonos and Corfu) in advance thought the interactive TV. These lines were the worst since no one wanted to wait, Americans and Europeans alike.

Overall a good experience for us. This was our 7th cruise and we chose it for the ports and a European experience.

Just got back from a nice vacation on the Musica. :) This was the first trip out of Venice after a long trip from Brazil. I can see that many of the complaints I have read on the boards here were valid, but we enjoyed ourselves. The first day was bit unorganized :( but they recovered (ie: mini bars not restocked after the long trip; cold shower the first morning; robes delivered the 3rd day).

I can see how this would not be the cruise line for people who cannot tolerate crowds, children, strollers, or lines. There are 3,000 passengers and lines should be expected. Kids are free. The food was a bit repetitive in the buffet, but it was all good. Our waiters and room staff were wonderful. The ports were great and the 3 tours we took were worth the money. We even had to visit the infirmary and because the injury was an accident (our fault), there was no charge for the after hours first aid visit or the doctor re check the next day. There were no errors on our bill. They give Canadian and American guests 1 liter of bottled water each day, probably in response to the criticism of having no "free" water available. There was always "free" water available at the buffet, FYI. We knew this before and ordered extra for dinner with our wine package.

The only real complaint we had that can be controlled by the cruise line (you cannot control the rudeness/pushiness factor of guests) is the tour desk. Meeting times for tours changed a few times. Also, it would have been much more efficient to have the ability to book Shuttle Services to town (Dubrovnik, Mykonos and Corfu) in advance thought the interactive TV. These lines were the worst since no one wanted to wait, Americans and Europeans alike.

Overall a good experience for us. This was our 7th cruise and we chose it for the ports and a European experience.

Hello Pgy,

Thank you for posting your balanced review. It highlights both positive and not so well organized aspects of your cruise. It seems that you had the right attitute, and hence enjoyed yourself.

In Venice, did you have a free shuttle from Piazzala Roma to the Venice Port?

Hi Pgy,

Enjoyed your very balanced review. we are looking into a cruise with MSC for next spring and some reviews have not been that complimentary towards the cruise line. Can you tell me what the drinks prices are like on the Musica ?

If you have any other info i would appreciate it.

Many thanks

Hi pgy,

Thank you for your review. So it is in fact true that they gave 1lt bottled water to the American/Canadian a day. That sounds great. Did they give you the voucher when you check in or they automatic deliver the bottle water to your room?

We can't wait to get onto the Musica.

A few answers about the Musica:

There was a free shuttle from Piazzala Roma starting about 10:30 am. There was a line at first, but since our hotel was across a small canal from the bus (Hotel Olympia), we waited until there were fewer people, about 11: 30. There will be a line at the port. Wait in the first line with your bags and then you can get your tickets and baggage tags. Then up the stairs for another line - The Express Check in line seems long, but it did move faster. At THAT check in, they gave us water vouchers (turn in at buffet or any bar) or every day. They also gave us our pre-purchased wine vouchers.

The staff lined up when we boarded and led us to our rooms (a first for us). As far a drink prices, we drank wine, but most cocktails were under $10, about the same as Princess, as I recall. I thought the Superior wine package was ok for the price, but there is house wine available for 8 euros a 1/2 liter. That wine package gave us a liter of water at dinner, too. I saw kids with teens using the soda package.

As far a calling cards, we always take our ATT cell phone to Europe can call from the ports. Surprisingly, I got texts from our house sitter. Be sure to check with your carrier to activate the cheaper overseas calling plan.

Just looked back at our photos today, and would recommend this cruise to people with open minds and realistic expectations for a large cruise. The ports were all beautiful.

Thanks pgy. One question, did you goto Katakolon and did Musica arrive at 12:30pm? That's what our itinerary is. If so, did you take the train to goto Olympia? Or drive or take the excursion. We are just wondering since the time is so late and we have not figured out wether to take the train, bus or drive.

Thanks again.

Not sure about the train to Olympia. We took the excursion and never looked at the train schedule. We figured it was easier and would get us back in time. It did get in at 12:30. We did have a good tour guides - our guides in Athens and Oia Village (Santorini) were also good. The benefit in Santorini is that the excursions got the first tenders and then the ship moved before the others were tendered ashore - and we went to a winery with an incredible view. In Athens, I was looking for a specific item for my son, and the guide went shopping with me.

Also forgot to mention that the excursion office did sell shuttle bus tickets for Croatia, Corfu and Mykonos. There were a few taxis available for hire too, but I do not know the cost. In Corfu, some passengers who were familiar with the island rented cars and went to the beach instead of the old city.

Archived