Upgrades

TEXASMUNK

Just back from a most enjoyable week on the Rhapsody. Got into a conversation with the C & A rep regarding how folks get upgraded.

Came up the concept that upgrades should first go to:

Crown & Anchor members....

then non-memberss

but when selecting the C & A members for upgrades, RCI should look at the avg. $$$ spent onboard by the members and upgrade accordingly.

This way, they reward those that spend the most total $$$ with RCI....just like any other business, RCI would be thanking their very best customers...

thoughts???

An interesting concept but, while I'm not sure I would ever pay for an upgrade, your system would pretty much eliminate me getting an upgrade since

a. I don't drink

b. I don't gamble

c. I purchase most of my excursions from outside vendors.

It seems like your system would be a disincentive for my cruising.

So this system would mean that RCI would keep a computer history available at all times to determine how much we spent onboard on our previous cruises? We all line up like cattle, give our names, they look up our spending history, and then they start calling names? Nope, don't like that at all.

I do think it would be nice for C&A members to get some priority for loyalty (as opposed to $$$ spent).

Bottom line is that I think pax who arrive early and are willing to pay should get the pier upgrades. I mean, we aren't talking free upgrades here. Now, if they had those I would agree that C&A members should get them first. Not based on $$$ spent onboard, but on C&A status just like other C&A perks. It seems that when we do read about those rare free upgrades it's mostly to first time cruisers. I assume RCI wants them to cruise again, but I think that's a slap in the face (so to speak) to loyal RCI cruisers.

beachchick

The object of loyalty programs is indeed to provide incentive for customers to spend more money, both more money in total (total revenue) and more money in terms of a premium (profit). In business, loyalty really does boil down to money, specifically, though, in terms of anticipated future contribution to profit, not number of times patronized or even how much money the customer has spent in the past, except to the extent that that forecasts anticipated future spending. Those facts can be used to argue both For and Against Jim's proposal -- For, since Jim's proposal aims, to some extent at contribution to profit; Against, since Jim's proposal doesn't address the disconnect between past spending and future spending. Indeed, many of the best ways to forecast future spending habits require either information that a company doesn't legitimately have access to, or would probably result in age and gender bias. I think that is why these programs tend to "dumb down" the relevant information about loyalty, by measuring something like "number of cruises". Willingness to join the program, alone, is perhaps the best indicator the company has available to it to forecast future patronage. So perhaps C&A membership is the best information available on which to base priority for paid upgrades.

IMHO, free upgrades should be directly targeted to appropriate patrons (in terms of compatible party-size) that paid the most for the cabin the next category down. These are folks who are, by definition, getting the least value for their money (since they paid the most for the same product), so should have priority, I believe, for any unsolicited enhancements to their cruise experience.

Cruise 26 coming up. Have had 7 with rccl, and have coming up another one in April and one in Dec. I travel Solo and on the last 2 Cruises I have had up grades, Why?? I do not know, I do not spend a lot on board( gambling, drinks or excursions) But I am hoping for one on the Legend Of The Seas April 10th Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon.

An interesting concept but, while I'm not sure I would ever pay for an upgrade, your system would pretty much eliminate me getting an upgrade since

a. I don't drink

b. I don't gamble

c. I purchase most of my excursions from outside vendors.

It seems like your system would be a disincentive for my cruising.

Ditto... :)

Archived