How does RCCL deal with food allergies? Anyone : )

Out of pure curiosity, coming from somebody in the medical field but not an expert on food allergies, what is the reactive substance which is in both HFCS and corn itself that triggers the allergy?

For whatever reason, my son becomes very hyper and almost acts like he is "on drugs" when he eats corn! We can't calm him down. He gets confused, acts crazy etc. It took 2 years for us to figure it out! We thought we had it pinned down to just red dye and high fructose corn syrup as the triggers, then after him eating organic cheese puffs he had the same reaction. Main ingredient, corn. So we started to take corn out of his diet and noticed major changes.

At first my family thought I was crazy.. even my husband didn't believe me. Then when visiting my family my mom gave my son something with HFCS... she said he went from being a normal boy to bouncing off the walls! She could not control him! My brother was visiting and could not believe the change once he consumed it! Said it was like he was on crack (not that I have experience there!!!) My mom read labels from that point on. Same thing happened with my sister... she gave him something with HFCS and could not believe how quickly he reacted to it!

My son is 7 and he can now tell me how he feels after eating something. He can now verbalize whether he feels hyper. He can say to me "Mommy, please don't give that to me again!". He doesn't fight me anymore when I tell him he can't have something because he knows how he feels after eating it. He actually hates to feel that way ....

My husband is now a STRONG believer in watching what our son eats! He has seen first hand how it affects our son.

I guess you would say it is a food sensitivity of some type. I have read and read about it! Not a lot of "medical" data out there on it. Just a lot of dedicated parents who have noticed this type of thing and watch their children's diet.

We are always amazed by the scientific data about sugar and ADHD and the research shows it does not cause ADHD etc.... but we really wonder if they have done specific research on HFCS...

This is one of those situations where you should seriously reconsider the Anytime dining. quote]

Once we figured out that MTD might be an issue we looked into the 6pm main seating. No openings. But we are going to get on board... explain the situation and see if we can work something out with MTD to be seated at the same time, same staff etc (we are already holding 6:30pm reservations). It is a 5 day and we planned to dine in the dining room for 3 nights as a family, and then 2 nights we were going to take my son to the buffet then eat later at MTD alone.

I am pretty sure we can find food on the buffet for my son. Even a burger with no bun and a veggie will work for him. He is actually used to eating pretty simple! We bring our own packets of ketchup and salad dressing with no HFCS.... he will eat a lot of things if you just put ketchup on it!

Hello - husband & I along with our two daughters ages 26 & 24 will be sailing on the Freedom of the Season May 9th! My daughter has food allergies - nuts & shellfish.. My TA has written to RCCL and has advised them. We all want to use My Time dining.. any one have any suggestions or have dealt with this on board? Of course we will be bring epipens and benedryl. Thanks for your help. Just a little scared for my daughter.. Plan on telling the waiter every night.. I hope they cook things in a different area!

none of the waiters have english as their first language. this is too important to leave to chance. i have someone who travels with me who is allergic to shellfish. he was advised to take traditional dining so the maitre de will know where he is. the maitre de will then tell your waiter what to be careful of.

you cannot imagine how many things have a base (soups and gravy's especially) with shellfish in it.:eek:

I still don't see any mention of what people do when their allergies are so severe that it is also contact and inhalation (our little friend with nuts as well as eggs).

We cannot take the chance that she'll touch something that has remains of either egg or nut on it (like someone having sat at a table and eaten a peanut butter cookie and then touched the armrest of the chair). I can see them having to wipe down every single surface she touches.

And I know they can cook to accomodate her...they've been to Disney and they managed it. But on land, there is a hospital just minutes away. On the open sea....not so much.

Archived