Learning to snorkel

lovevacadays

I'm going to post this here as Grand Cayman seems to be one of those islands primarily about water sports. I've been there twice and have never done the stingrays or snorkeling as have traveled with people who don't like to be in the water. I like the water and am a decent swimmer. However, I tried snorkeling once in the Bahamas from the shore. I couldn't even walk with the flipper things on my feet and couldn't figure out how to breathe through the snorkel. Any helpful hints on how to learn to snorkel? I'm cruising again in December and really want to do as much water activity as I can.

Thanks

I would suggest that you take your own mask and snorkel and practice on the ship first. It is alot easier to learn when you are not in the ocean.

Also, practice holding your nose and just breathing through your mouth.

I'm going to post this here as Grand Cayman seems to be one of those islands primarily about water sports. I've been there twice and have never done the stingrays or snorkeling as have traveled with people who don't like to be in the water. I like the water and am a decent swimmer. However, I tried snorkeling once in the Bahamas from the shore. I couldn't even walk with the flipper things on my feet and couldn't figure out how to breathe through the snorkel. Any helpful hints on how to learn to snorkel? I'm cruising again in December and really want to do as much water activity as I can.

Thanks

I have been there. Took swimming lessons at 43 and thought i could do it all .jumed into a snorkeling area in disney and did not know how to breathe . i came homeand practiced in the pool. it is hard to walk in fins .dont put them on until you are almost to the water if you are snorkeling from a beach. of course when you jump off a boat you have to put them on first. i would not miss a chance to snorkel. my husband and i bought our first cheap snorkel gear at sams club about seven years ago and last year bought more expensive ones because everybody said to go get one at a dive shop. well i had more trouble with that mask leaking. glad i had brought the old one too.also i would get a dry snorkel ,so you are less likely to breathe in water.

1. Put fins on at the last moment. You can even put them on when you are already in the water. If you must put them on before getting wet, walk backwards!

2. Inhale slowly and deeply, as if you are sipping a hot spoonful of soup. If there is any water in the u-bend of the snorkel you can sip the air through that water. Exhale all at once as if you are blowing a peashooter. This helps to blast clear the snorkel.

First tip, relax. Most people that have trouble snorkeling becase they are too stressed about the experience. In salt water, your bouyancy is very good and floating is not difficult at all. Don't try to swim, don't keep lifting you head out of the water, if you get some water in your snorkle just relax and blow it out.

Second tip. Practice. There are videos on the internet, and the last snorkel I bought had a DVD with it that showed the basics. If you can't practice before you go, before going in something that you are uncomfortable with (see tip 1), practice in the shallows. If you don't like the fins, don't wear them until you are comfortable with the basics. Most beginner caribbean snorkel excursions are just fine from the top of the water, you don't have to swim under water.

Final tip. Good equipmemt does make a difference. Make sure your mask fits and doesn't leak (the first time one of my DD tried, her mask was cracked and kept filling up with water, no way to enjoy that). A little bit of spit (yuck) will keep it from fogging up too much. As other have said, the snorkel itself can make a difference, make sure its long enough and most newer ones have someway to keep water from flowing in. Since as I mentioned above, most beginners arent going to be swimming under water so the main source of water in the snorkel will be from waves or you turning you head so water can enter.

Oh yeah, and a final tip, don't be afraid to ask others including the excursion operators if you have questions. Everyone wants you to have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I usually pick things up quickly but this one escaped me. I really think it was that fins thing and walking from the beach into the water.

I think I'll buy my own gear and practice in the pool!:):)

Thank you for the tips! I had similar concerns. The most recent snorkel experience was at Disney's Blizzard Beach and I had a panic attack when I "forgot" how to breathe! I held my breath and had to think about it and was able to continue but my big concern is being able to go underwater and not skim along the surface! Got a new underwater camera and want to try it out (and actually get INTO the action)!

Archived