WWYD: Millie or Century?

shoegal24

So I know I've posted a few similar questions - sorry for being repetitive.

My fiance and I booked July 17 2011 on the Century from Vancouver to Alaska.

For $200, we can get the same room on the Millie but we would leave from Seward - Vancouver. It would cost us maybe $500 more total for extra $$ in flights, hotels, train ride.

I think it sounds fun, but I'm wondering if the money is worth it? Also, would it be stressful trying to catch the train? Flights from Toronto (where we live) arrive into Anchorage at 11:30pm - which would mean we would check in to a hotel around 1am, and have to get up at 5:30 to catch the 6:45 train to Seward. What if the train is late / doesn't run that day? Do we miss our cruise? If we select this option, should we take the train into Seward a day earlier and spend a night and 1/2 day in Seward?

What do you think?? What would you do?? Is Seward worth seeing?? Is the Millie $500 better than the Century??

Dear Shoegal,

It's all good. Not to fret too much!

I don't know the Century. I will be on her in a month for a 14 day transatlantic and can't wait. I think she sounds like a wonderful ship.

OTOH, I took the Millennium from Seward to Vancouver and absolutely loved that ship and that journey. You can go to Seward a day early and on the day of your sailing, at eight a.m. in the morning, do a six hour catamaran trip on the Kenai Fjords. It is spectacular ... not to be missed if possible. Stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward and ask for a room facing the water. (You can watch the Millennium pull in in the wee hours of the morning. Quite lovely.) You can leave your luggage at the Holiday Inn in a locked room while you go on your six hour fjiords trip ... it is walking distance from the hotel ... or take your luggage with you and the Kenai Fjiords folks will both lock it up for you and take you over in a minivan to the pier afterward.

The Millennium is beautiful. I was just on her in the Caribbean again in November. She is lovely. She has great, interesting art. The food is very good and the Olympic Restaurant is not to be skipped because it is so pleasurable. The t-pool is a wonderful addition in Alaska especially. You will come back to the ship invigorated from wonderful air and scenery and then soak for a bit.

Hope this is helpful. I think the Century trip will be really good too but Seward and the Kenai Peninsula Fjords, not to mention the beautiful Millennium (oh, right ... I did mention the beautiful Millennium), is a great opportunity and I encourage you to do it.

fern

ps- You are in for a wonderful holiday. Be very excited! It's justified. :D

Archived