My kids havea funny question about the stingrays lol

ksmommyof4

My little kids who arent crusing with us but want to know everything about what mommy and daddy will be doing on thier first cruise have a really silly question.Since this being our first cruise I had no idea how to answer so here it is lol remember they are 10 and under lol.....They wanted to know if you swim with the stingrays and pee will the stingrays know and do something lol?????

My little kids who arent crusing with us but want to know everything about what mommy and daddy will be doing on thier first cruise have a really silly question.Since this being our first cruise I had no idea how to answer so here it is lol remember they are 10 and under lol.....They wanted to know if you swim with the stingrays and pee will the stingrays know and do something lol?????

Tell them, no, they really don't seem to care!! I would hold the kids for two reasons. If you are going to the Caymans (GC) and then hitting Stingray City, you need to know the water depth is about 4 feet deep when on the sand bar. Second reason is the fish will brush right up against you (feels like velvet mushrooms). This might scare them though the fish mean no harm. Also, don't let the kids try and feed them. Stingrays literally suck the squid from your hand. You must hold your hand with the thmb inside your fist. Kids hands are small and you don't want to take a chance. They have no real teeth but they do have denticles which are bony like teeth they use to crush shells . They mean no harm but they can take a fingernail off!! (have seen it happen). It is a neat experience but one the parents should have control of while the kids are in the water. We loved it. Got to kiss one on the nose and had another give us a massage on the back.

Cheers, Kenn

I have dived at Stingray City about three times as we fell in love with Cayman and now own two timeshares there. I go when friends want to have the experience for the first time.

The rules have changed that only the tour operators are supposed to feed the stingrays, although many wink and give you some squid anyway. If you have squid in your hand and slap at something on your neck or anywhere on your body, you can be sure that a stingray will glom onto you. If you are careful, you can avoid it.

They are safe and so used to the visitors that they expect you there.

Tell them, no, they really don't seem to care!! I would hold the kids for two reasons.

Cheers, Kenn

Kenn -- Kids are staying at home for these folks.

But really good info for those who are taking their kids with them on this excursion.

Archived