Does anyone have "ship your bags ahead" company recommendations?

We're taking a Mediterranean cruise this coming summer and have heard about "ship your bags ahead" companies that will deliver your bags to your pre-cruise hotel, however, we've never used this service. Can anyone recommend a good, realiable company that will service the New York to Rome areas?

thanks.

Vinnie:

Try the following: Virtual Bellhop charges $91 for overnight delivery of a 20-pound bag or $55 for two-day service (877-235-5467; virtualbellhop.com); two-day delivery with Skycap International is $44, three-day $40 (877-775-9227; skycapinternational.com). I've used both and was shocked at the expense at first but, now I won't travel without this service. You can go right to the gate to check-in and, it's just an easier travel experience all the way around. I consider it money well spent...others might not agree.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I shipped one 70 lb suitcase to Barcelona in 2003, Fedex charged about $300. However Spanish customs charged me customs fees and duty of $198.01. Fedex says it varies country to country.

Regards

When we checked into it for our transtantic cruise, the cost of shipping the bag to Europe was more expensive than paying the airline for an overweight or extra bag.

They told me allow a week for international shipping which meant that all my clothes would be folded for a week in the suitcase thereby setting in creases let alone if they shift and wrinkle.

Archived