Princess Grand dive tour in GC?

DuluthFireCruiser

In reading the info regarding the "New Waves North Wall & Rays Certified Scuba for Experienced Divers" shore excursion from Princess in Grand Cayman, it notes "Divers must present an advanced certification card or a log book indicating at least 25 dives." Anyone had experience with this dive? Is a log book/advanced card really required? Noting the depths are a maximum of 80 feet - been that deep many times but not quite 25.

In reading the info regarding the "New Waves North Wall & Rays Certified Scuba for Experienced Divers" shore excursion from Princess in Grand Cayman, it notes "Divers must present an advanced certification card or a log book indicating at least 25 dives." Anyone had experience with this dive? Is a log book/advanced card really required? Noting the depths are a maximum of 80 feet - been that deep many times but not quite 25.

It's been several years since we went and Kathi was a relatively new diver then. Yes, they did require either an advanced c-card or proof of at least 25 dives. They made us cancel since she didn't have that many. We made a small stink about it since Princess didn't tell us about the requirement in advance--looks like they learned from our complaint.

However the requirement is just 25 dives--not necessarily 25 dives at 80 feet.

Kathi & Leo

I was on the Grand Princess in Nov 2004 and did the North Wall and Rays dive.Princess bills it as the best deep and shallow dives in the world--maybe true.They also offer a two tank reef and wreck dive for less experienced divers and for the divers in their PADI certification classes on board.Everyone I talked to enjoyed this. Yes, they do want you to be experienced for the North Wall with at least 25 recdnt dives.They do check and asked many divers to change to the reef and wreck dive.I am a Dive Master and often dive deep off shore wrecks in North Carolina and a deep mountain lake (Jocassee) in SC.I had my own gear and was by myself. Dillon ( the instructor on the boat) let me team with him and allowed me to dive my own profile to a maximum of 125 feet.The North Wall does start at about 80 feet but once you swim over the Wall it is a sheer 500 foot drop straight down and then goes on to about 6000 feet I believe. This is not a place to be learning proper bouyancy control or to be playing with unfamiliar rental gear.The potential is there to get REAL DEEP, REAL QUICK if you dont pay attention!!!! Most of the group stayed at the edge of the wall at about 80-100 feet but I could not resist the huge sea turtle and I had Dillon's permisson to do my own thing--knew that Dive Master C card was gonna be good for something!The North Wall is not really a difficult dive if you have experince with wall and deep diving.If you are not sure about it, jsut sign up for the reef and wreck dive. Sting Ray City was also alot of fun I have seen lost of big rays but I never had 4 bigh females wrapped all over me looking for squid handouts.Maximum depth there was only about 15-18 feet--just a long safety stop after the wall!!!Cayman is beautiful no matter where you dive.Hope this helps and have fun.

Joe

I had booked this tour through Princess, but on the day we were in Grand Cayman, the seas were too rough to get the dive boat out to the North Wall and do a safe dive, so the excursion was cancelled. They sent a warning with the excursion ticket that the North Wall Dive required 25 recent dives, or an advanced certification. I have no doubt that they would have refused someone that wasn't qualified. I would suggest booking a different excursion.

I didn't end up taking any of the ships diving excursions. We were late getting into Belize, so the scuba was cancelled (major bummer). I think Princess knows that getting to Belize is a 50/50 proposition, so I don't understand why they don't rearrange the ports. Not getting to Belize on time must be costing them (and Belize tour operators) a ton of money due to cancelled excursions, and disappointing large numbers of customers.

In Costa Maya, I booked with Blue Ha diving, and had two nice reef dives. The dives were 3 divers with a dive master, and they took us out 10 minutes from shore to the outer reef. The reef coral and fish were nice, but not amazing, there was not nearly as much sea life as Cozumel.

In Cozumel I booked with "Scuba with Alison", and had two spectacular dives. Cozumel was a fabulous dive stop, abundant sea life and spectacular reefs. I really wish I had a chance to compare it to Belize. We saw a large barracuda, a sea turtle, juvenile Drum fish, and too many reef fish to even try to identify them all.

You should definitely dive in Cozumel if you can, it was the highlight of my trip.

Keith

Archived