Opinions/Suggestions on Cruise Excursions and Land Tour (rough draft)

April-in-NC

Here is my first full draft of our vacation for next year. Skagway is the place I still need the biggest help with. The train sounds fun, but I'm trying to get a good mix of "quiet" activities and "active/adventure" activities.

I will be 30 years old and I will be traveling with a friend who will be 27. We prefer to avoid typical city/bus tours, we usually need something more active (or interactive) to keep our attention and interest.

Right now this is a 13 day trip (actually arrive home the morning of day 14).

Comment/suggestions/tips are welcome. :)

Pre-CruiseThursday, June 9Arrive Vancouver early afternoonCheck in to Vancouver hotelBotanical GardenCapilano Suspension BridgeDinnerFriday, June 10BreakfastHop On Hop Off Bus TourLunchBoard Radiance of the SeasCruise ExcursionsSaturday, June 11Cruising Inside PassageSunday, June 12Ketchikan 7:00-5:00Misty Fjords Flightseeing (2 hours)Zip Lining (3 hours)Monday, June 13Icy Strait Point, 9:00-6:00FISHES Whale Watching (3 hours)1 mile walking loopTuesday, June 14Juneau, 7:00-8:30Mendenhall Float Trip (3.5 hours)Mt Roberts Tram (1.5 hours)Wednesday, June 15Skagway, 7:00-4:004x4 Adventure Thursday, June 16Cruising Hubbard GlacierFriday, June 17Seward, arrive at 4:00 amKenai Fjords Cruise (8-2) (sometimes BOGO)Exit Glacier (2:00-4:00)DinnerCoastal Classic Train (4 hours, departs 6:00)Anchorage HotelPost Cruise Land TravelSaturday, June 18Pick up Rental CarBreakfastDrive to Talkeenta (3 hours)Flightseeing (1 1/2 hours)LunchDrive to Denali (3 hours)DinnerDenali HotelSunday, June 19BreakfastShuttle to Eilson (8 hours)Bag lunch/snacksDinnerDenali HotelDinnerMonday, June 20BreakfastDenali Trail Ride (3 hour tour, 2 hrs on horses)LunchDrive to Independence Mine (3 hours)Tour Independence Mine (3 hours)Hotel in PalmerDinnerTuesday, June 21BreakfastDrive to glacier hike (2 hours)Glacier Hike Lunch Drive to Anchorage (2 hours)

What to do for a few more hours in Anchorage? This will most likely be a late night/early morning flight. These activities will need to be cheap because we will probably be broke by then. :D

--April

When are you planning on taking the cruise? I ask specifically because Independence mine may not be open if you go even early June. Also its not a three hour drive from Independence Mine to Palmer. Its at the most maybe 40 minutes to max an hour depends on traffic but really an hour.

it also depends on what time of year your going. Plan to keep your car/truck full of gas, keep plenty of water and some food with you, have bug spray and plenty of it and same with sunscreen.

Its only about an hour at max from Palmer to Anchorage again depends on construction and time of year you are going.

As far as what to do in anchorage. I recommend the wild berry place and sourough dough mining company its close to the airport and both are touristy but fun even for an Alaskan like me that says a lot.

I also recommend down town Anchorage park in the fifth avenue parking garage and enjoy a stroll in smack down town Anchorage. If you only have time to do one or the other I recommend Wild Berry Products and then Sourough dough mining company.

I love that your over generous with your times and thats always a good idea.

I am a planner so I love all your planning its a good thing and it gives you plenty of time to stop at some interesting places along the way. Check out Wal-Mikes its roughly between Healy and Willow and its worth a look. Its great to get a picture of the sign at Wal-Mikes and check the place out heee :).

Adri :)

Pre Cruise, Thursday, June 9, Vancouver

Arrive Vancouver early afternoon

Check in to Vancouver hotel

Botanical Garden

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Dinner

Friday, June 10, Vancouver

Breakfast

Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour (double decker)

Lunch

Board Radiance of the Seas (YEAH!!!!)

Saturday, June 11, Inside Passage

Sunday, June 12, Ketchikan (7:00-5:00)

Misty Fjords Flightseeing (Island Wings, 2 hours)

Zip Lining (3 hours)

Monday, June 13, Icy Strait Point (9:00-6:00)

FISHES Whale Watching (3 hours)

1 mile walking loop (1 hour)

What else to do free/cheap?

Tuesday, June 14, Juneau (7:00-8:30)

Mendenhall Float Trip (3.5 hours)

Mt. Roberts Tram (1.5 hours if clear)

What else to do free/cheap?

Wednesday, June 15, Skagway, (7:00-4:00)

4x4 adventure (debating train, but also want to do something more active)

Thursday, June 16, Hubbard Glacier

Friday, June 17, Arrive Seward 4:00 am

Kenai Fjords 6 hour cruise (8:00-2:00)

Exit Glacier (2:00-4:00)

Dinner

Coastal Classic Train to Anchorage

One night in Anchorage Hotel

Saturday, June 18, Anchorage to Denali

Pick up rental car

Breakfast

Drive to Talkeenta (3 hours)

Lunch

Flightseeing (1 ½ hours)

Drive to Denali/Healy (3 hours)

Dinner

Night 1 of 2 in Denali/Healy

Sunday, June 19, Denali

Breakfast

Shuttle Bus to Eilson (6 hours, plus 2 hours in stops/walking)

Dinner

Night 2 of 2 in Denali/Healy

Monday, June 20, Healy to Palmer (maybe Wasilla?)

Breakfast

Denali Trail Ride (3 hours)

Drive to Independence Mine if open (3 hours)

Tour mine (2-3 hours)

Drive to Palmer (1 hour)

Dinner

Night in Palmer hotel

Tuesday, June 21, Palmer-Glacier Hike-Anchorage

Breakfast

Drive to Matanuska Glacier hike (2 hours)

Lunch

Drive to Anchorage (2 hours)

What to do in Anchorage that is free/cheap before returning the rental car and taking a late night/early morning flight to the east coast?

When are you planning on taking the cruise? I ask specifically because Independence mine may not be open if you go even early June. Also its not a three hour drive from Independence Mine to Palmer. Its at the most maybe 40 minutes to max an hour depends on traffic but really an hour.

it also depends on what time of year your going. Plan to keep your car/truck full of gas, keep plenty of water and some food with you, have bug spray and plenty of it and same with sunscreen.

Its only about an hour at max from Palmer to Anchorage again depends on construction and time of year you are going.

As far as what to do in anchorage. I recommend the wild berry place and sourough dough mining company its close to the airport and both are touristy but fun even for an Alaskan like me that says a lot.

I also recommend down town Anchorage park in the fifth avenue parking garage and enjoy a stroll in smack down town Anchorage. If you only have time to do one or the other I recommend Wild Berry Products and then Sourough dough mining company.

I love that your over generous with your times and thats always a good idea.

I am a planner so I love all your planning its a good thing and it gives you plenty of time to stop at some interesting places along the way. Check out Wal-Mikes its roughly between Healy and Willow and its worth a look. Its great to get a picture of the sign at Wal-Mikes and check the place out heee :).

Adri :)

Thanks Adri! I'm impressed that you could read that first post, I just retyped it in Word instead of copying it from my excel spreadsheet... LOL

What would be your recommendation for Skagway?

Independence Mine should be open that late in June. I will post on the Alaska board specifically this year when it opens. As far as really cheap things to do in Anchorage.

Sourough mining company is not a cheap place to eat. So i recommend either Dimond Mall if you like a big mall that also has a movie theatre, Ice skating rink, bowling alley and tons of stores. Its also close to the airport as well.

Or you could walk around downtown although after around 9:00pm I dont really recommend it as its well downtown lolol.

Thier are all kinds of fastfood eateries in Wasilla and Anchorage to.

Also Palmer has some fast food places like Mcdonalds as an example only lol.

Palmer also has a Muskox farm and a raindeer farm and those are awesome. My family goes every year to both those places when they very first open and enjoy both throughly and we are Alaskans to the max lmao :)

Its awesome to meet a fellow planner. Im happy to answer any other questions you might have :)

Adding in an answer im not as familer with Skagway as ive only been thier a few times. Ive never taken any tours of skagway so am not sure.

If you want a great book for planning. I recommend the "Alaskan Milepost" It will give you detailed information about Alaska. Its a fantastic book and I already have my copy and get a copy every year.

Adri

Archived