Juneau/ketchikan excursions

nycpants

A few questions about excursions, has anyone done the Duck Harbor and City Tour in Ketchikan? I'm booking some excursions for my parents' trip and thought it would be a good way to see Ketchikan at the beginning of the day. Also, any feedback on Juneau's Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer would be appreciated. I see they start the excursion before docking in Juneau and meet up with the ship in the afternoon. I thought this could be more exciting than the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watch Cruise. I myself did a whale watch in Juneau and it wasn't as interesting as we'd hoped...actually saw more from the cruise ship itself. Any thoughts on both ports would be great! This is their 40th anniversary trip so we want to make it memorable for them!

I have done the Ketchikan Duck tour and it was great. My preference for Juneau will always be whale watching and mendenhall. I have had rare and amazing whale watch trips in Auke Bay with bubble net feeding and amazing close encounters with the whales.

I also really enjoyed the Duck Tour in Ketchikan. Got some photos of eagles when the duck went into the harbor. They were hanging out near the cannery. The tour was fun and informative and at $38 a pretty good deal compared to the cost of most Alaska excursions. Afterwards we walked to Creek Street and spent some time poking around there and then walked around town.

We sort of collect duck tours. We started with the Boston Ducks and have since done them everyplace from the Caribbean to Alaska!

The Ketchikan ducks are a lot of fun, and a good introduction to the city. They go around town, past the Totem Heritage Center, through the harbor (where our guide waved to all the guys on all the boats ;) ) and usually visit an island where eagles nest.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Wow Mike! I'm impressed. 38 cruises! Your website is great. They're sailing on the Sapphire Princess, and I see that you liked that one! That's good news. It was so difficult trying to pick a ship, but I'm thinking we made a good choice. I booked the duck tour based on everyones feedback. They'll do that and the Lumberjack show, which I saw in Alaska and thought it was a lot of fun.

Archived