Does Carnival pay the medical bills when the ship lists??

CalmCruiserNC

there's a difference between the pilot who landed in the Hudson and the situation on the Ecstasy.

the pilot was already in an emergency situation -- both engines shut down -- when he did something almost impossible -- landing the plane on the Hudson instead of crashing into the river, or worse, into a Manhattan skyscraper. when we looked out our windows and saw all those boats headed to an airplane we couldn't believe our eyes.

what the crew of the Ecstasy did -- while laudable -- was to avoid an accident in a dangerous situation. they didn't accomplish something "impossible".

Easy to see why SuperMan retired - Had to do something special today. Wonder if you consider the NYFD & NYPD guys going above & beyond the call of duty during the World Trade Tower rescues - or just regular guys doing their jobs.

but the real problem wasn't Carnival, it was whoever owned the buoy. the Carnival crew had to react to a situation they didn't create.

I realize that. What I'm thinking is that if the ship had hit the buoy and the damage was so severe that the cruise had to be terminated, Carnival would have covered the costs of getting people back home -- or at least to the published port of disembarkation. So the costs of mending a few bumps and bruises to passengers would be minor in comparison.

My original posting wasn't about the legal issues -- it was merely a curiosity question about how carnival has handled situations in the past where the injuries weren't the fault of the passenger.

On the one hand, hit the buoy and run the risk of damaging the ship and dealing with the consequences OR perform an evasive maneuver to avoid the buoy and run the risk of damaging things (including people) that would be affected by the evasive maneuver and deal with the consequences.

Why do you assume a collision with a buoy wouldn't have also run the risk of damaging people? Do you not think it plausible that beside from damaging the hull of the ship, it could also have damaged it's propulsion systems or power plant, and also throw people around to an even greater degree?

Again, a ship is not a car. It doesn't handle like a car and it doesn't move on tires filled with air.

there's a difference between the pilot who landed in the Hudson and the situation on the Ecstasy.

the pilot was already in an emergency situation -- both engines shut down -- when he did something almost impossible -- landing the plane on the Hudson instead of crashing into the river, or worse, into a Manhattan skyscraper. when we looked out our windows and saw all those boats headed to an airplane we couldn't believe our eyes.

what the crew of the Ecstasy did -- while laudable -- was to avoid an accident in a dangerous situation. they didn't accomplish something "impossible".

I know, hard to compare the Titanic disaster with this non-disaster too, but had they hit that buoy, what do you think would have happened?

Easy to see why SuperMan retired - Had to do something special today. Wonder if you consider the NYFD & NYPD guys going above & beyond the call of duty during the World Trade Tower rescues - or just regular guys doing their jobs.

Oh puleeze don't even go there....serious:rolleyes:

I realize that. What I'm thinking is that if the ship had hit the buoy and the damage was so severe that the cruise had to be terminated, Carnival would have covered the costs of getting people back home -- or at least to the published port of disembarkation. So the costs of mending a few bumps and bruises to passengers would be minor in comparison.

Did the person steering the ship have enough time to contemplate all that?????

I think they saw the thing floating in the water and reacted....

the WTC situation -- that was above and beyond.

I just don't think that spotting something in the water and turning the ship to avoid the collision is in the same league. it's laudable, it's wonderful, they should all be applauded, but not in the same league as Skully landing the plane in the Hudson.

Yeah, 9/11 survivor family member. Don't appreciate your conflation of the issue. Not even close to being the same. Two massive fires being fed by jet fuel and diesel generator fuel does not compare with a ship listing to avoid a buoy. Johnny Helmsman wasn't exactly risking his life to throw the stick over.

:confused:

How?...what? .....

HELLO!!!!!

Anybody home in there????

:confused:

How?...what? .....

HELLO!!!!!

Anybody home in there????

I'd be offended if that statement wasn't so patently ridiculous.

I'm not saying the captain and crew are at fault, but I'm not exactly pining laurels on them either.

Yeah, 9/11 survivor family member. Don't appreciate your conflation of the issue. Not even close to being the same. Two massive fires being fed by jet fuel and diesel generator fuel does not compare with a ship listing to avoid a buoy. Johnny Helmsman wasn't exactly risking his life to throw the stick over.

I was being a bit more gentle....

what the captain and crew of the Ecstasy did was a good thing, a positive thing, they avoided an accident that could have caused serious injury to passengers. but I wouldn't use the word "heroic" and I wouldn't compare it to the 9/11 firefighters or the airplane landing on the Hudson.

the WTC situation -- that was above and beyond.

I just don't think that spotting something in the water and turning the ship to avoid the collision is in the same league. it's laudable, it's wonderful, they should all be applauded, but not in the same league as Skully landing the plane in the Hudson.

Sure, Superman was just doing his job.

OK - I agree, Sully was quite a guy. Now made big bucks and retired.

The men in uniform are heroes to us almost every day. I wouldn't take bullets any day for you guys!

What about the passengers who threw chairs and tables overboard to keep pirates off their cruise ship, one almost took a shot & then the crew took the honors?

But . . . do you think the helmsman on the Titanic would have gotten any recognition if the ship would have missed the iceberg?

Sure, Superman was just doing his job.

OK - I agree, Sully was quite a guy. Now made big bucks and retired.

The men in uniform are heroes to us almost every day. I wouldn't take bullets any day for you guys!

What about the passengers who threw chairs and tables overboard to keep pirates off their cruise ship, one almost took a shot & then the crew took the honors?

But . . . do you think the helmsman on the Titanic would have gotten any recognition if the ship would have missed the iceberg?

you're trippin, right?????

The guy avoided getting a gaping hole in the ship. I'm sure Carival heads are thrilled with him for not getting into an accident (because I think they've already met their quota this year). But he didn't do anything heroic for goodness sake.

Jeeze.

Ahhh that forgetting to think before pressing submit reply. Been there.

Not you Nunu...no way. :D

No. Because the helmsman of the day were not allowed to make unauthorized changes in course without the officer of the watch to approve of it.

the Titanic sank, in part, because the bridge crew never received warning messages from other ships that there were icebergs around. the radio operators recieved the warnings but did not convey them to the bridge. if they'd had those warnings, the helmsman likely would have avoided the iceberg, and we would never have heard about him or the ship.

After the 'list' on the Crown Princess in 2006 - they refunded our entire cruise cost and airfare; covered shipboard account $$; and paid us to get home since we had to leave the ship early, in a different port, and make new air arrangements...so yes, they do cover those expenses when it is their fault - just my experience.

Princess was WONDERFUL and very prompt with the payments - couldn't have done more. Carnival is the parent of Princess - so would assume they have similiar policies.

They did not pay people if they bought expensive art work; shop purchases, etc since you got to keep those.

As a side note - when people got norovirus on another Princess cruise - medical care was free by the ships doctor - no charge!!

So, it seems the opinion here is that the crew should not be thrown overboard or fired at the next port, but no honorable mention either. They get paid plenty and probably don't have the time or inclination to write books anyway.

Maybe extra dessert in the crew mess hall for dinner for the good guys?:p

Anyway, hope the dudes on my next cruises do good - not run us into anything & get us to our ports safe and sound. Hoping for a calm Atlantic over the next couple of weeks. If we do see icebergs, hope we miss them.

humpback-whale-atlantic_6041.jpg

Actually I'm more worried about the mega sharks, mega piranahas and the giant octopus over a little bouy.

Yes Natasha Richardson died from a "seemingly" minor head bump while skiing. By this time anybody with these types of head bumps would have already been newspaper material. In the very very unfortunate Richardson case...it was just a very sad "fluke". From childhood on I know I've bumped my head more times that I can count never went to the doctor for it. Even with insurance that's expensive.

So sad that we've become such a sue happy society that every little bump results in a lawsuit.

Give me a bandaid and a drink of the day...and I'm good. Really it makes for a good war story. I guess it would be something IF some one was hurt badly enough to be airlifted off...but it sounds like people really just might have tumbled a little.

We don't know to if some of these passengers were given something and asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement. In that case we may never hear more.

So, it seems the opinion here is that the crew should not be thrown overboard or fired at the next port, but no honorable mention either. They get paid plenty and probably don't have the time or inclination to write books anyway.

Maybe extra dessert in the crew mess hall for dinner for the good guys?:p

Anyway, hope the dudes on my next cruises do good - not run us into anything & get us to our ports safe and sound. Hoping for a calm Atlantic over the next couple of weeks. If we do see icebergs, hope we miss them.

Hero or has been? Why does it need to be one or the other:confused:

Archived