Does Carnival pay the medical bills when the ship lists??

CalmCruiserNC

Actually I'm more worried about the mega sharks, mega piranahas and the giant octopus over a little bouy.

Yes Natasha Richardson died from a "seemingly" minor head bump while skiing. By this time anybody with these types of head bumps would have already been newspaper material. In the very very unfortunate Richardson case...it was just a very sad "fluke". From childhood on I know I've bumped my head more times that I can count never went to the doctor for it. Even with insurance that's expensive.

So sad that we've become such a sue happy society that every little bump results in a lawsuit.

Give me a bandaid and a drink of the day...and I'm good. Really it makes for a good war story. I guess it would be something IF some one was hurt badly enough to be airlifted off...but it sounds like people really just might have tumbled a little.

We don't know to if some of these passengers were given something and asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement. In that case we may never hear more.

Sorry but there are other injuries that can seem minor that can turn into years of surgery and nightmares.......even with simple broken bone........

I sincerely hope they were all just bumps and bruises.....

Sorry but there are other injuries that can seem minor that can turn into years of surgery and nightmares.......even with simple broken bone........

I sincerely hope they were all just bumps and bruises.....

I agree with you 100% on that. But don't people (honest people) who are dealing with what they think is a minor injury usually wait until there is a problem before contacting a lawyer?

Is it standard procedure to obtain a lawyer 'just in case' your seemingly innocent bump and bruise becomes something more substantial? :confused:

I honestly don't know.....not trying to be argumentive here.

I got right up to the point where King describes Pennywise and I was done.

Ahhhh. I love Stephen King.

Just read Duma Key. Not one of his greatest, but still excellent. :)

There was a girl on Dr. Phil once that was terrified of cotton balls.

no s**t!

After the 'list' on the Crown Princess in 2006 - they refunded our entire cruise cost and airfare; covered shipboard account $$; and paid us to get home since we had to leave the ship early, in a different port, and make new air arrangements...so yes, they do cover those expenses when it is their fault - just my experience.

Princess was WONDERFUL and very prompt with the payments - couldn't have done more. Carnival is the parent of Princess - so would assume they have similiar policies.

They did not pay people if they bought expensive art work; shop purchases, etc since you got to keep those.

As a side note - when people got norovirus on another Princess cruise - medical care was free by the ships doctor - no charge!!

THANK YOU!! Just the sort of answer I was looking for when I posted my original question.

I agree with you 100% on that. But don't people (honest people) who are dealing with what they think is a minor injury usually wait until there is a problem before contacting a lawyer?

Is it standard procedure to obtain a lawyer 'just in case' your seemingly innocent bump and bruise becomes something more substantial? :confused:

Actually that's a good question......Songbird might have the answer.......

For documentation maybe? I know I would want it documented.......

I don't know about "standard." But I used to work for a personal injury attorney. If someone with a bruise on his arm as a result of this incident called him, he'd tell him "take a photo, save all your documentation and don't call me again unless your arm falls off." He wouldn't have had time to bother with a minor injury that has not developed into any problem at the time of the phone call. Then again, he was not an ambulance chaser, either.

I don't know about "standard." But I used to work for a personal injury attorney. If someone with a bruise on his arm as a result of this incident called him, he'd tell him "take a photo, save all your documentation and don't call me again unless your arm falls off." He wouldn't have had time to bother with a minor injury that has not developed into any problem at the time of the phone call. Then again, he was not an ambulance chaser, either.

wow. :eek:

I like that guy.

He retired.:) He didn't mess with little stuff and he didn't contact people to try to get them to sue ("ambulance chaser"). He did get very very rich on a big drug lawsuit.

One suit I still remember was a couple whose child was stillborn. After they had their cry, they asked to hold their baby and tell her goodbye before the funeral home got there. The hospital couldn't find the baby...so the couple sued...I've always wondered what in the world happened to that baby.:mad:

His cases seemed pretty legit to me...MOSTLY. There were a few sketchy car accidents I thought seemed iffy. One time he had a client that claimed to be injured on a DART bus that was in an accident. We found out after a few months that this client had jumped on the bus AFTER the wreck but before police had arrived. My boss fired his rear end and called authorities. Turns out the guy was involved in an insurance fraud ring. They got my boss to call him back to the office, wired him, and got the guy on tape admitting everything. Lots of drama that day.

Actually that's a good question......Songbird might have the answer.......

For documentation maybe? I know I would want it documented.......

my experience has been that for the most part people who are truly injured run to find a doctor first...then think about a lawyer afterwards. they're more concerned about the injury than about who is going to pay.

although every "rule" has its exceptions.

personal injury attorneys take cases on a contingency fee basis. they get paid only if they win. and their fee is a percentage of the award. it doens't pay to take a case, spend a year or two litigating it only to have little or no payout at the end.

He retired.:) He didn't mess with little stuff and he didn't contact people to try to get them to sue ("ambulance chaser"). He did get very very rich on a big drug lawsuit.

One suit I still remember was a couple whose child was stillborn. After they had their cry, they asked to hold their baby and tell her goodbye before the funeral home got there. The hospital couldn't find the baby...so the couple sued...I've always wondered what in the world happened to that baby.:mad:

His cases seemed pretty legit to me...MOSTLY. There were a few sketchy car accidents I thought seemed iffy. One time he had a client that claimed to be injured on a DART bus that was in an accident. We found out after a few months that this client had jumped on the bus AFTER the wreck but before police had arrived. My boss fired his rear end and called authorities. Turns out the guy was involved in an insurance fraud ring. They got my boss to call him back to the office, wired him, and got the guy on tape admitting everything. Lots of drama that day.

I can imagine!

my experience has been that for the most part people who are truly injured run to find a doctor first...then think about a lawyer afterwards. they're more concerned about the injury than about who is going to pay.

although every "rule" has its exceptions.

Sure.......I was in a car accident once and my doctor told me to get a lawyer.......I should have listened to him....

I've seen the "ambulance chasers" build a case. they make something from nothing.

as background -- New York has a no-fault law that's designed to keep people from suing for minor injuries in a car accident. when you buy insurance for your car, your policy includes no fault coverage. if you have a minor acident, you make a claim on your own policy for meidcal beneifts and compensation for lost wages. you're not allowed to sue the driver of the other car, regardless of fault, unless you have a "serious injury". and the no fault law is very specific about what a "serious injury" is.

serious injury includes death, dismemberment, permanent loss of use of a body part or system....

but soft tissue injuries like whiplash are not considered "serious" unless you meet the threshold:

Medically determined injury/impairment of a non-permanent nature that stops the injured person from performing substantially all of the material acts that constitute such person's usual & customary daily activities for not less than 90 out of 180 days.

so here's what happens:

there's a car accident. your car is pretty badly smashed up, but you just got banged up a bit and you refuse medical attention at the scene. then you are approached by a "runner", an employee of the lawyer, who tells you that you can get a lot of money for this car accident if you follow the lawyer's advice. he sends you to a medical clinic where you see a chiropractor, a physical therapist, maybe even a psychologist for your stress. the bills are all paid by your no fault carrier. and guess how long you are in treatment? 91 days.

so now you've met the threshhold for serious injury, and the lawyer will sue on your behalf.

Archived