Snorkel shirts

Gramsof7

I'm not sure where this should go - here or on the clothing board, but since you all appear to be snorkelers, I decided on this board.

What do you wear? I'm told there are snorkel shirts at WalMart. Not at OUR Walmart. So - where does one find snorkel shirts, and probably shorts of some sort?

Thanks!

you can just wear a T-shirt. and save your back from getting sunburn.
Actually, a wet, white t-shirt is practically transparent to the sun's harmful UV rays. In other words, if you burn easily, as my red head son does, you will still burn thru a t-shirt.

We bought him a shirt made to wear in water that blocks 98% of the sun's UV rays. They aren't necessarily cheap, but I did find that sungrubbies had the most reasonably priced water shirt for my son. Their correspondence with me concerning my order was very friendly and positive. The order arrived very quickly, which was a good thing because we were leaving for Cozumel that week and needed it before we left. There are other web sites that well similar shirts.

My Daughter doesn't burn easily at all, but she really likes wearing wet suit, and she loves being in the water. That gives great sun protection as well as physical protection for things in the water like hard coral and things that sting.

Here she is in Hawaii:

emilywetsuit.jpg

The wet suit was less than $30. I got it on ebay, but I've seen them priced like that at Costco too.

That's a great site, Bruce-r! Thanks for sending it. Guess I need to call them, because I'm not sure what the Zip Water Shirt and Water Pants are. I assume they're like the water skins, but a looser fit? Those skins are rather form fitting, aren't they? :)

Oh, oh. They're closed until Feb. 7. Not that I need them immediately, but if anyone has other sites I can check, would love to hear.

These are terrific. Thanks. I looked for water shirts/suits and everything but UV protective clothing.

Do many people wear the hats to snorkel in? I think on the tours, we will be snorkeling for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

Gramsof7, both my husband and I are very fair, and for the amount of time you will be in the water, I don't think you need to be overly concerned about full coverage, as long as you apply a good sunblock b/f snorkeling (do not apply it to your face, however. That will interfere will your mask seal). However, if you still want to pursue some garments, do you have a dive shop near you? We live in NW Ohio and we have a great dive shop near us in Ann Arbor, MI where we purchased our snorkel equipment, including a Rx mask for my hubby. They have a good line of water-clothing as well.

Just a thought in case you wanted to actually see some of the garments you might be interested in purchasing.

Becki

Don't forget the backs of your legs too! Had a lovely formal night a few years ago when I wore a short skirt and my two-toned (red and white) legs.

As a fair-skinned, redhead myself, I never rely on sunscreen alone (except on my face) and wear a black lycra diveskin that covers from head to toe whether I'm snorkling or diving. I also wear 1mm neoprene gloves just in case I have to touch anything (fire coral and sea urchin stings hurt!). Diveskins are cheap ($20-$30--I think I got mine on scuba.com) and are so stretchy you don't really have to worry about fit (mine has taken 20 lb. weight fluctuations over the years).

I also use sunscreen all over my face. Just put it on early (like before you leave the ship) and it'll be dry and won't interfere with your mask seal by dive time. I don't think you need to worry about wearing a hat unless you're bald. In that case a lycra dive hood would probably be the best bet. I can't figure out how you'd keep a hat on if you wanted to dive down to see something.

Kathi

Instead of a hat, try a bandana or doo-rag. If you don't know what a doo-rag is, here's an example on ebay. I have a few of these in tropical colors and I use them to work out in to keep the hair out of my face, and when snorkeling to keep my hair from getting tangled in the strap. Just make sure you put sunscreen on the tops of your ears. Wouldn't think of putting sunscreen there, but after getting burned once, I don't forget again! :D

Under Armour is a company based here in Baltimore that makes workout and other athletic gear. They are expensive but high quality. The website, if you're interested, is underarmour.com but you can find their stuff at most sporting goods stores like Dick's, etc. For what it's worth, my husband and I rarely wear any kind of skin or wetsuit if the water is 80 or above. But we will be doing so much diving this trip I think we'll prune if we don't cover up somewhat!! :D

Nikki

• 5 months later...

www.scubadorag.com

Try this site or you can visit some dealers in Belize, Cozumel, St. Croix, Turks & Caicos and other dealers listed in Links. Fast shipping, excellent customer service.

ScubaDoRag - Stylish Do in fabulous fabrics for containing and protecting hair, scalp and hair color from the sun and wind with a Secret Compartment for ponytail or key, ID, credit card. Will not blow off because it stretches - great for exercise, bad hair day, snorkeling/scuba. Unisex and kids, too.

CoCoCoverUp - reversible skirt in yummy fabrics

Shoods and Shoodn'ts - Funky rash guards - Shirt with or without Hood- can order with short or long sleeves. Very comfortable, protection form sun use above or below the sea. Made of bathing suit and cycling jersey fabrics for comfort, style and quick drying performance.

ScubaTubeSocks - for happy feet in sandals or fins. Ease in performing wetsuit dance and so no blisters with fins.

ScubaGoodHood- lightweight hood for snorkeling/scuba. http://www.ScubaDoRag.com www.scubadorag.com

I burn real easily and sunscreen doesn't stay on long enough or well enough. I bought a full length diveskin for under $50.00 and it took the worry out of snorkeling. When wet it kept me cool enough out of the water and protected me almost totally from the sun. We snorkeled in 3 different ports without sunscreen and no burn.

http://www.onlinescubalessons.com/store/lycra.html?

Archived