Snuba and Diabetes

Amber F

I have a snuba excursion booked for Roatan in three weeks and it never occurred to me, but will they let me snuba if I am diabetic? I've done the underwater scooter in Cabo and never had a problem.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to waste my money if they won't let me go down once I get all the way out there.

Your best bet is to contact to operator. I am full scuba certified and diabetic, so you can do it. But each place has its own rules.

Otherwise don't tell them, make sure your sugars are a little elevated and just go. Last option would be to take a little tube of cake frosting, you can eat that underwater if needed.

Your best bet is to contact to operator. I am full scuba certified and diabetic, so you can do it. But each place has its own rules.

Otherwise don't tell them, make sure your sugars are a little elevated and just go. Last option would be to take a little tube of cake frosting, you can eat that underwater if needed.

Will the pressure cause my blood sugar to drop, or is that more of a just in case you get a low while you are down there?

Water pressure and depth will not effect your blood sugar. The exertion and calories burnt in the activity will, just like any type of "exercise". The goal is to be aware of your blood sugar levels leading up to and just before the dive. An insulin reaction while underwater could lead to a drowning. Make sure your level is not low prior to getting in the water and have a snack just prior to getting in the water to keep it elevated. Worst case if you're not confident in the control you have or the level, you can opt out a the last minute.

Have fun

Rich

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help. I'm always aware of my levels as I take insulin for tight control, but do experience lows on a regular basis. Thanks for helping me make an informed decision.

• 8 months later...
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help. I'm always aware of my levels as I take insulin for tight control, but do experience lows on a regular basis. Thanks for helping me make an informed decision.

Hi Amber,

I know it has been awhile.. but did you Snuba when you were in Roatan? If so how was it? My wife and I are thinking about trying it out as we are told that you MUST Snorkle / Snuba while in Roatan.

Thanks,

-Steve

Is this "Snuba" something I never heard of or something new? Or are we just misspelling "Scuba"?

Short answer is it is a derived work and spelled correctly. Not that new even though while reading the Shore Ex for my cruise it came up as an option.

A quick search on the web -good 'ol wikipedia - haha :D - has it defined as listed below

Snuba is an underwater breathing system developed by Snuba International. The word Snuba is a portmanteau of "snorkel" and "scuba". The swimmer uses swimfins, a diving mask, weights, and diving regulator as in scuba diving. The air, however, instead of coming from tanks strapped to the diver's back, comes through a long hose from tanks on pontoon rafts on the surface. Snuba often serves as a form of introductory diving, in the presence of a professional, insured guide, and following a half-hour lesson (but not requiring SCUBA certification).

• 4 months later...

Some dinner table companions did it in Cabo recently. Here are some pics. By the way, no weights were put on them...just the helmet. And they said it was cool but you'll have to decide if the price is worth it.

P5190431.jpg

P5190422.jpg

P5190417.jpg

P5190416.jpg

P5190415.jpg

P5190414.jpg

I was snorkling above them.

That looks interesting. A few questions if you don't mind...how deep are they? What is the approximate cost for something like this and how long do they get to spend underwater? Thanks for any info you can give and also for the pictures.

That looks interesting. A few questions if you don't mind...how deep are they? What is the approximate cost for something like this and how long do they get to spend underwater? Thanks for any info you can give and also for the pictures.

When they went down from the ladder on the platform it seemed to me they were shallower than the final leg. Under the platform I'd estimate 20 feet. As they walked around the 4 legs maybe 30 feet on the final leg. And it was probably 20 to 30 minutes.

I think they paid around $100 through the ship..maybe slightly more.

I spent nothing while snorkling and taking the pics and had a great time doing it.

I love snorkling so maybe I'm prejudiced and not providing you with an honest assement comparing snuba (around $100 + each) and free snorkling.

Some dinner table companions did it in Cabo recently. Here are some pics. By the way, no weights were put on them...just the helmet. And they said it was cool but you'll have to decide if the price is worth it.

P5190431.jpg

P5190422.jpg

P5190417.jpg

P5190416.jpg

P5190415.jpg

P5190414.jpg

I was snorkling above them.

Your friends were doing a "helmet dive". They were wearing helments that supplied their air. With snuba you breathe through a regulator just like scuba diving but the air tank floats on the surface of the water. The regulator is connected to the tank by a long hose 20-25 feet.Both activities should give a wonderful orientation to the underwater world.

Ahhhh. Thanks for the education. They called it Snuba and that was the first time I'd seen it.

That makes sense now ... I know he'd told me the helmet was heavy enough to hold them down and didn't use weights so I can see you'd need weights if you just had a regulator in your mouth.

Archived