When should I book my flights / hotels?

shoegal24

We're doing Alaska from Seward - Vancouver in July 2011 for our honeymoon. We've put our refundable deposit down on the cruise, and were wondering how long we could/should wait to book our flights and hotels in Anchorage, Seward and Vancouver.

End of July is prime wedding season, and we want to make sure if anyone gets engaged in my family (I've got lots of cousins), and they set their date for end of July, we can cancel the cruise to attend their wedding. Obviously hotels through hotwire (where I love to book from) and airfare can't be refunded, so I'm wondering when you think the latest is I can wait to book these, without having prices increase, or run the risk of hotels in Seward and Anchorage being booked.

Also, we're going to do the train from Anchorage - Seward, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if that ever sells out? Would I have to get tickets in advance, or can I get them the day before, when we arrive in Anchorage.

Thanks!

You are being very generous to book your own honeymoon around other people's (maybe) weddings!:eek:

That being said, July is peak Alaskan cruise season. You are smart to book your cruise stateroom early for the best choice. However I wouldn't book the hotel or flight now. It's more than a year out. 7months or so out, I'd book air. Hotel, once the air is booked. If your relatives don't know 7 or 8 months ahead of time that they are being wed, tough.;) Use hotwire, lastminutetravel, easyclicktravel,travelzoo etc and book your nonrefundable hotels 6 months out.

Head to the westcoast departure board as well as the Alaska ports of call board and you'll find lots of info re trains, hotels, ports etc.

Enjoy planning your honeymoon!!!! And remember it's YOUR time.;)

Archived