Is Oceania Insignia right for a honeymoon?

hannah2222

My fiance and I are thinking about a honeymoon on Insignia in January 2006 (Buenos Aires to Santiago or the reverse). He is 42, I am 37. We are both pretty casual, but like quiet places to sit and read.

I also am wondering if anyone can give us a comparison of the Concierge Level Staterooms, Penthouse Suites, and Vista Suites. Is it worth it to spring for the Penthouse or Vista?

This is my first post. Thank you for your help.

We were in a penthouse suite when the ship was Renaissance, and in a Category A balcony room on Oceania (this was right before they started the Concierge level categorization). The penthouse suite is really much larger, and we were by ourselves on that trip and consequently spent more time in our room, so we appreciated the extra space. On our last trip we were with friends, and spent absolutely no time in our room except to sleep and change. In that case the extra cost would not have made sense. This worked for us and I think we will probably continue to book our rooms on this basis. If you like to relax and read on deck, or by the pool, then save some money and get the smaller room. But if you want to read or relax in the room, you'll appreciate the spacious feeling of the penthouse suite.

We are about the same ages as you. I think you too will have a great time if you are OK with the demographics (you will be among the youngest 10% of the passengers), like the idea of country club casual evening attire, and aren't expecting Vegas nightlife. We enjoyed talking to all the passengers and sometimes were asleep BEFORE the show started at 9:45PM, so Oceania was a great choice for us!

We spent a lot of our time in the ship's public spaces. There are several nice places to sit and read, including the Library, Horizons, and Martini's during the daytime. Your balcony, the pool deck, and the Sun Deck are also good bets in warmer climates, although they may be a bit chilly in South America.

We had a PH Suite, which we felt was very spacious except for the bathroom which was adequately sized. There is plenty of storage. My only complaint about the PH suite was that the table by the chairs did not adjust in height (it is at coffee table height but would have been nice to have it elevate to card table height when desired). We were wondering if we could "get by" next time with a Cat A balcony cabin, so we asked to see an empty one. It is narrower, but the mirrored walls and sliding glass door make it seem large enough. You still have two chairs on the balcony in the Cat A, but you lose footrests in the PH Suite. The bathrooms (especially the tub/showers) in the Cat A and below are on the small side. Since we didn't spend much time in our room except to sleep, dress, and nap we decided that next time we would go with the Cat A.

We did not see a Vista or Owner's Suite. If you really want the extra space or want to go all out for your honeymoon and you can afford the premium, go for it as I'm sure they are very nice. However, I think you will be very happy in a PH Suite or even a Cat A/B balcony.

Archived