Roatan snorkeling west bay & tabyana or Hallf moon bay?? Help!!

simba16

Dont think we will book through the ship (carnival triumph) just take a taxi and go, however I cant decide which area to go to.. I really think tabyana would be sufficient, husband does not want to go out on a boat or even far from shore (bad experience in Hawaii recently), I think the waters here would be more calm since the reef is there to protect....But not sure if I really want to give up on the chance to go out to the famous barrier reef and see the wall from half moon bay?? So does anyone know @ half moon bay is it really far out from shore and how are the currents generally?? Are there any guides out in the water in this area....I am a good swimmer just not strong and tire easy, and since hubby will be on shore, I dont want to get stuck lol... I am looking at either taking a taxi to tabyana or booking a tour to half moon bay, was thinking of rony's...need to decided asap leave next week!!! THanks!!

Tabyana Beach is great. if you are doing this on your own, and am not renting gear, make sure you bring fins.

As to how to do this one, there are two openings to get to the outside of the reef. The easiest to find from the beach is the one to the left. Specifically, there is an area that looks like you are going to go too shallow, but it is a path, and then eventually you get to the outside of the reef. Very beautiful and great photo opportunities.

Last summer we got a cab at the pier and headed for Half Moon Resort. They didn't charge us for the use of their facilities. We really enjoyed our time there -- reef practically started at the point you go into the water. Waters are extremely calm in the area. What's funny is that a ship's tour came by and we wondered how much more these people paid for a quick 30 minute snorkel while we spent a very relaxing day for almost nothing (no more than $50 for transportation, food, beverages). We brought our own gear. I have to say, I fell in love with this place. Soooo quiet and perfect. :)

Here's the website for the resort. We were a group of 10 (my DH and I, the others were from our CC roll call). If you go to the website, the picture on the top left with lounge chairs is were we were at (the other is a view of the resort -- a small resort). There's a short dock right there (with a fresh water shower at the exit). Easy access into the water. We saw plenty of fish, coral, some lobster -- even had a good sized barracuda checking me out (kindda freaky, but it is their territory). :eek:

http://www.roatanhalfmoonresort.com/index.html

This link (I just found) has a cool aerial of half moon bay. The resort we were at is just to the left of the Sub circle.

http://www.stanleysubmarines.com/location/index.php

Here are some of our pictures... you will notice a bunch of people snorkeling in one of them (that's when the tour arrived and we got out and waited for them to leave before going back in). I don't really know how to add pictures (full size) so if you're interested in seeing them, I can e-mail. Feel free to ask me any questions! :)

890821163_Roatancollage.jpg.e4003f0a57eee68953d19392c07e41a6.jpg

Can you tell me a bit more about half moon ?We will be there in oct. and are looking for a good snorkel spot. Iassume this is right off the shore,is the water very deep and are you on your own?We have ourown snorkel gear so thats not an issue.

The ride over to half moon was about 20 minutes (or less) and we were at the Half Moon Resort for about 4 or 5 hours. Be prepared for the cab ride -- it's a little chaotic to get a cab (check out other threads on CC for that info). The resort is not a Westin or Ritz Carlton. It is a quiet, quaint place in a location that looks like a beautiful enclosed lagoon. You are out there on your own. There were 6 of us snorkeling and had this place all to ourselves. No wake.

Depth? I think if you're not too far from shore it stays around 15 ft, but as you get closer to the bay opening and start going outside, it starts getting pretty deep (which offers more amazing coral heads, etc -- but that barracuda spooked me so I gave up on that). Lots of beautiful corals and sponges, saw many blue tangs, parrotfish, schoolmasters, angel fish, lobster, brittle starfish, beautiful sea urchin, little colorful fish, an eerie barracuda... we were not bored!!! Spent alot more time in the water than on land. Even right by the shore there was plenty to see. I'll see if I can find my underwater photos to jog my memory (I'll also ask my DH). It was crystal clear until the tour boat arrived and some of the snorkelers just finned away at the bottom (UGH). Oh, there's even a water platform a few yards away from the resort dock (I call it a dock, but it's more like a walkway). For shore snorkeling, this was definitely the best we've had (Grand Turk was close) but this was just more varied. I'm looking forward to returning some day! Would love to go for more than a day, though. :)

Hope this helps!

I haven't snorkled them, but I have gone diving in both spots. Currents are minimal most of the time all over Roatan- Half Moon Bay is more protected so is even calmer usually if you stay inside the reef. You can stay pretty shallow close to shore at both spots. Tabyana/ West Bay has a much larger, nicer beach area, but also has the crowds- you'll be snorkling with many people and most likely won't see as many animals. Half Moon Bay will have very few other swimmers and for some reason some of our most unusual fish sightings seem to take place in Half Moon Bay. Half Moon Bay is also at West End where there are many funky little shops and places to eat or drink, but the beach is much smaller and there is not much in the way of fancy resorts (also bring your bug spray- you should for both places, but more so in West End then West Bay). Good luck, you'll enjoy either spot!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at Half Moon Resort as part of our Bodden tour for snorkleing. It was wonderful and lunch at the resort was the best blackened snapper I have ever had. Peaceful resort and I could stay there for a week and dive and snorkle my heart out!

Archived