YVR to Best Western on Drake...

joey shoes

What's the best way to get there? I'm traveling with older folks who are not keen on walking too far - does that rule out the Canada Line? Is the airporter bus still around, or am I going to have to travel via cab/limo (there are 6 of us)? Any suggestions would be helpful

Your station for the Canada Line will be the Yaletown-Roundhouse station and that will but you about 5 blocks from the Best Western-Downtown. The Airporter did cease operation when the Canada Line came along last fall. If you can't handle the 5 blocks then you may want to consider a couple of cabs...the cost will run about $35 per cab. You could take the Canada Line to Waterfront Station then take a couple of cabs...your cost then would be about $10/$12 per cab. It really comes down to how much you want to be handling your luggage.

A disadvantage of getting off the Canada Line at Yaletown is that it is an uphill walk to your hotel - however if you stay on and get off at Vancouver City Center station - it is pretty well level to the hotel and one one block longer.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I'd honestly take a cab or a car service. You won't want to haul luggage the distance between the stations and your hotel, and swtiching from public transit to a cab for six blocks seems a little pointless. Better just to catch a cab and have it taken care of in one trip.

'You won't want to haul luggage the distance between the stations and your hotel'

If that is the case why am I seeing more and more people doing just that - walking along the streets of the downtown rolling there luggage with them.

To the OP - hope you enjoy your stay in Vancouver and when at the Best Western drop in an enjoy a meal at the White Spot - you never know you might just see me there having my weekly legendary burger and fries.

Cheers

Dennis

'You won't want to haul luggage the distance between the stations and your hotel'

If that is the case why am I seeing more and more people doing just that - walking along the streets of the downtown rolling there luggage with them.

True enough - I just passed a large group of people in Gastown doing the same thing.

But the OP said they're not keen on walking too far - and probably less keen to do it with luggage!

Thanks to all for the great advice.

I'm traveling with 4 seniors - 2 of which have had fairly major surgery in the last month, a third with emphysema, and a 4th with a general disdain for anything bordering on physical activity. In all honesty, I'll be lucky if we don't have to get a cart for them at the airport, much less drag bags 5 blocks. :)

Based on all the input provided, it sounds like we'd be best off to just bite the bullet and get a couple of cabs or a limo from the airport.

Thank you all for your replies - this board and your input is invaluable!

Urban trekker - we will likely end up at the White Spot - I'll make sure and try that burger and fries!

I will just chime in here and say that the Canada Line is not a situation of "one size fits all". If you have a lot of luggage, are some distance from a station to hotel, are elderly, have mobiltiy issue (hey Ut, I am starting to sound like Jim Robson) then maybe the line is not for you. However, it is a great asset for the city and one we very much needed...glad it is here.

I took Canada Line to Waterfront last week just to try it as I was staying at the Westin Bayshore. I paid $7.50 plus $9 with tip to Bayshore so with 6 people you'll end up paying almost as much as two cabs or a limo. I have used

http://www.starlimousine.com/

in Vancouver and they are super reliable. I'd suggest them. Hope the link is right or google them.

Probably the best limo service to use is Areocar who are the official licensed limo service of the airport... they have a contracted rate with YVR so you know what your rate is up front. However, this is the walk up rate...if you make a reservation then they are free to charge more. That said they have lots of cars available 24/7 so a reservation is not necessary. link

Archived