Greek Ports-your recent experiences

Rocket4Oh

Have you recently been on a cruise that has stopped at ports in Greece; especially Piraeus? Could you share what the stop has been like as it relates to the economic turmoil in Greece?

We are (hopefully) going in September.

Thanks

Four friends and I just returned from a Crown Princess cruise that stopped in Athens on May 23rd (a Sunday). We had booked a private tour through Spiros Taxi Service. The guide met us at the port in a mini-van at around 8 am and drove us to Athens. We visited the Acropolis and the museum, then took a short driving tour of the city before heading along the coast to see the Temple of Poseidon. We had no problems whatsoever and I believe if there had been any trouble spots, the tour guide would have avoided those areas. I certainly wouldn't cancel a cruise just because of this one port. Our cruise stopped in many other ports in the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu) and there was no indication of any problems at all.

I posted an extensive review, but briefly, was in Athen on Monday, 5/17 and had a lovely day. I rested assured that Celebrity would not drop us in Pireaus if there was any chance we couldn't get back there. I trusted the cruise line. That said, I had booked a private tour through http://www.toursofathens.com; had Dennis as a driver and we transited all over Athens without problems. There were two demonstrations that day. They were scheduled and the streets containing the demonstrators were blocked off. We were able to go down the street with the administration buildings earlier in the day without incident. We got to the Parthenon early in the day before the crowds and, again, had a lovely day. I think you can trust your cruise line not to put you in harm's way. This is my opinion, only. Have a great trip!!

IrishIs and Siouxcitysue can you give a little more info on your private taxis. Cost, how many in the van, great guide etc? Thanks for any help as we will be there on the Gem in Sept. We like to do things on our own rather than book with the ship.

Just returned from Athens.....absolutely no problems! If you want to tour on your own, leave the port and find the 843 or 859 bus ( 1 euro). It will take you to the train station. From there, take the train to the Acropolis (1 euro with no train changes needed). The train leave you right at the entrance gate. The cost to get in is 12 euro.

We down loaded the waling tour on our MP3's so we could start and stop as we liked. The walking tour is 65 euro (for the entire set) and one set can be shared with your entire group (greece audioguides.com). We thought the tour was great. Wear sturdy shoes and be prepared to trudge up a rather steep hill (but I'm not in great shape.....). Bring water because they charge a lot for it on the grounds.

Have a wonderful trip!

Four friends and I just returned from a Crown Princess cruise that stopped in Athens on May 23rd (a Sunday). We had booked a private tour through Spiros Taxi Service. The guide met us at the port in a mini-van at around 8 am and drove us to Athens. We visited the Acropolis and the museum, then took a short driving tour of the city before heading along the coast to see the Temple of Poseidon. We had no problems whatsoever and I believe if there had been any trouble spots, the tour guide would have avoided those areas. I certainly wouldn't cancel a cruise just because of this one port. Our cruise stopped in many other ports in the Greek islands (Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu) and there was no indication of any problems at all.

Hello IrishIs,

Was the trip to the Temple of Poseidon worth the long journey? I had heard it was a 2 hr drive?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Grand Med sail on the Ruby that began in Barcelona, ended in Venice. We stopped at both Mykonos and Athens while the reverse sail just prior to us skipped Athens as a precaution. The best answer you have received is that a lot can and will probably happen between now and September and cruiselines err on the side of safety.

Archived