last minute cancellation due to stomach bug - anythign we can do?

jw01

Well they dont want to ruin THEIR vacation...lol

Many say it will pass in a couple of day..yeah pass to the rest of the ship

I didn't realize the OP was going on a cruise ship full of people with awfully compromised immune systems. :rolleyes:

If the OP is already in the pukey-nasty stage, they most likely aren't contagious anymore.

I didn't realize the OP was going on a cruise ship full of people with awfully compromised immune systems. :rolleyes:

If the OP is already in the pukey-nasty stage, they most likely aren't contagious anymore.

I didnt realize you examined the family and knew what stages each of them was in..excuse my oversight.

To all the brilliant folks advising OP to go on the cruise, don't you know that another term for NOROVIRUS is "stomach bug"?????????

And it has a 24-48 hour incubation period if infect via food and 24-60 incubation period if infected person-to-person. If the OP is posting now, and has already been diagnosed by a doctor as having a stomach bug, and still has to get to the port, they are outside of the incubation window. :rolleyes:

I didnt realize you examined the family and knew what stages each of them was in..excuse my oversight.

I didn't need to examine the family -- a qualified MD already did. It does help to actually be familiar with how stomach viruses work though.

Except for the fact that most people are contagious before they start showing symptoms of the virus ...

True. But that really can't be avoided, unless one has a working crystal ball. ;)

But some posters on this thread are stating they would still go even when they knew they were ill. That really can be avoided.

This type of irresponsible behaviour just increases their fellow pax's chances of getting sick. :mad:

True. But that really can't be avoided, unless one has a working crystal ball. ;)

But some posters on this thread are stating they would still go even when they knew they were ill. That really can be avoided.

This type of irresponsible behaviour just increases their fellow pax's chances of getting sick. :mad:

No need to use a crystal ball. Incubation periods for most stomach virus is 24-60 hours max. If the OP's family started experiencing these symptoms at 4PM yesterday, by 4 PM tomorrow the window is almost closed. If they don't lick their hands and stick them in other people's mouths, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Doesn't matter. By the time they board, they will be outside of the 60 hour window.

How do you know that? This is all the info the OP has provided:

We have to cancel last minute and didn't get insurance. Boo. It's due to the stomach bug with a note from the doctor. Is there anything we can do to get some money back or switch dates or anything? Booked under Past Guest rate code.

THanks!!

They could have been diagnosed this morning and sailing tomorrow. Maybe you DO have a working crystal ball! :eek: ;)

Sorry chillaxin...you type faster than me!

How do you know they arent boarding tomorrow morning? You could be right, but not sure how you can be so sure about these things without more input from the OP.

Because unless they're posting from a port that's on Central or Pacific time, they're SOL. It's after 4 PM on the East Coast. Next boarding time for the East Coast isn't until Noon tomorrow. They'd probably be denied boarding at Central time zone ship if they don't get there in the next ten minutes. If a Pacific Coast departure, they better leave for the port right freakin' now.

They could have been diagnosed this morning and sailing tomorrow. Maybe you DO have a working crystal ball! :eek: ;)

Sorry chillaxin...you type faster than me!

Diagnosed does not mean the same thing as contracted. :rolleyes: Yes, we don't know when they contracted the virus. The incubation time on most stomach viruses is 24-60 hours, the same time you're contagious. So if they've been feeling it for 24 hours already, they're almost out of the contagious window. If they'd been feeling it for 48 hours the window would close before they'd even board a ship tomorrow.

No crystal ball needed, just a little familiarity with how stomach viruses work.

I hope you have some luck with Carnival for a credit at least. But, Thank You for being responsible and not boarding with a stomach virus. And a note to Lemur about licking hands and putting them in other peoples mouths... that is pretty offensive to anyone who has been sickened on a ship, as I would bet my last dollar they didnt engage in that kind of behavior and still got sick. ; )

Lemur, during the pukey-nasty stage, the virus is still quite contagious. The victim remains contagious even after they feel better. Let's use norovirus as an example:

From the CDC:

When do symptoms appear?

Symptoms of norovirus illness usually begin about 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but they can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Are noroviruses contagious?

Noroviruses are very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious[/b]. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea.

How long are people contagious?

[b]People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. The virus may be shed (discharged from the body through vomit or stool) for 2 weeks or more after recovery, although it is unclear whether the virus shed during this time is infectious. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

I hope you have some luck with Carnival for a credit at least. But, Thank You for being responsible and not boarding with a stomach virus. And a note to the poster about licking hands and putting them in other peoples mouths... that is pretty offensive to anyone who has been sickened on a ship, as I would bet my last dollar they didnt engage in that behavior and still got sick.

1. How do you know I *wasn't* sickened on a ship?

2. Why do you assume you were sickened by another person and not by contaminated food or drinks?

3. Why is it offensive? Do you have a fetish where you go around licking people's hands that have been in their mouths? :rolleyes:

And it has a 24-48 hour incubation period if infect via food and 24-60 incubation period if infected person-to-person. If the OP is posting now, and has already been diagnosed by a doctor as having a stomach bug, and still has to get to the port, they are outside of the incubation window. :rolleyes:

The term "incubation period" simply refers to the period of time between exposure to a microorganism and symptoms. It has nothing to do with how long someone may be capable of spreading the illness to others.

Lemur, during the pukey-nasty stage, the virus is still quite contagious. The victim remains contagious even after they feel better. Let's use norovirus as an example:

From the CDC:

When do symptoms appear?

Symptoms of norovirus illness usually begin about 24 to 48 hours after ingestion of the virus, but they can appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Are noroviruses contagious?

Noroviruses are very contagious and can spread easily from person to person. Both stool and vomit are infectious[/b]. Particular care should be taken with young children in diapers who may have diarrhea.

How long are people contagious?

[b]People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. The virus may be shed (discharged from the body through vomit or stool) for 2 weeks or more after recovery, although it is unclear whether the virus shed during this time is infectious. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

Yes. Let's look at the working closer. *MAY* be shed through their vomit or stool. Don't know too many people leaving that sort of stuff around the ship. And even the CDC doesn't know if it's contagious.

But what they *DO* know is that it's a 24-60 hour window of contagion. :rolleyes:

But yes, good handwashing is important.

The term "incubation period" simply refers to the period of time between exposure to a microorganism and symptoms. It has nothing to do with how long someone may be capable of spreading the illness to others.

And there's a lot of conflicting info on when the contagion with the stomach bugs actually starts. Not even the CDC is sure if it can stay in the system and dormant to resurface later.

Lemur...

1) I dont know if you were ever "sick" on a ship or not, but your suggestion to the OP tells me you could care less if you boarded sick or not. You will take your vacation and the heck with the other 2000 people on board.

2) I have only been on one cruise, sniff sniff, and did not get sick. But, the media coverage of "sick boats" certainly played a role in keeping me from cruising at an earlier date.

3) Its offensive to suggest that "licking and sticking" is the only way to spread the virus.

4) I will not admit to any fetish in a public forum...wink wink

I am not trying to take you on... or anyone else... Just surprised at the number of "go anyway" responses.

Yes. Let's look at the working closer. *MAY* be shed through their vomit or stool. Don't know too many people leaving that sort of stuff around the ship. And even the CDC doesn't know if it's contagious.

But what they *DO* know is that it's a 24-60 hour window of contagion. :rolleyes:

But yes, good handwashing is important.

NO. Incubation period refers to how long it takes you to become sick after exposure, NOT how long you are contagious to others.

Lemur, the "may be shed" refers to "may be shed for 2 weeks after," not that it "may be shed in the stool or vomit."

Noro is Definitely shed through stool and vomit. It is spread when particles of stool remain on the ill person's hand due to exposure in the bathroom, that person doesn't wash their hands, shakes someone else's, and then that person puts their hands in their mouths.

OR: You are in the vicinity of someone who vomits, the spray of particles reaches you and enters your mouth or nose

OR: You consume contaminated food or water.

Archived