Carnival's Xunantunich Mayan Ruins Excursion

CSIMelissa

Interested in taking Carnival's "Xunantunich Mayan Ruins" excursion while in Belize. Does anyone have any pictures from the tour or is there anything I should know about it? What did you think of it?

Thanks!

Melissa

we took it in September of last year. It was long. 2 hours on a charter bus that was quite comfy. They gave you a bottle of water to start. The tour guides talked the whole 2 hours there. Stuff like, this is the subway that went out of business as Chinese food is cheaper here. This is the Texaco where we get our gas. I'll teach you to speak creole. do ya wan a wata is do you want a water in creole. We went at the start of a two week holiday, so the town was decorated. The country is very poor, and you see a good bit of it while on the bus. The ruins were awesome however, and if the weather is good you get to climb them. After the ruins you go have a meal which was an eighth of a chicken, a soda of your choice and rice and beans. It was tasty but my teenager was staring at my plate with those feed me eyes. The tour takes most of the time that you have in Belize....there was no time to see or do anything else. There are pictures in the link at the bottom of my signature.

we took it in September of last year. It was long. 2 hours on a charter bus that was quite comfy. They gave you a bottle of water to start. The tour guides talked the whole 2 hours there. Stuff like, this is the subway that went out of business as Chinese food is cheaper here. This is the Texaco where we get our gas. I'll teach you to speak creole. do ya wan a wata is do you want a water in creole. We went at the start of a two week holiday, so the town was decorated. The country is very poor, and you see a good bit of it while on the bus. The ruins were awesome however, and if the weather is good you get to climb them. After the ruins you go have a meal which was an eighth of a chicken, a soda of your choice and rice and beans. It was tasty but my teenager was staring at my plate with those feed me eyes. The tour takes most of the time that you have in Belize....there was no time to see or do anything else. There are pictures in the link at the bottom of my signature.

Thanks! Beautiful pictures. Like the pictures of Libby in your sig too!

Melissa

you are welcome...that was Libby a few months old, today she is a year!

The tour was interesting, but it has kind of steered us away from other tours for a while. Others did not seem to mind the mindless chatter over the microphone...yes microphone. I was offering people beers to yank it away from her, but our group was properly behaved.

The tour was interesting, but it has kind of steered us away from other tours for a while. Others did not seem to mind the mindless chatter over the microphone...yes microphone. I was offering people beers to yank it away from her, but our group was properly behaved.

LOL! I've had a few of those! Thanks again and happy birthday to Libby!

I just took that tour last week and really enjoyed it. We had Carolyn on the bus and Lucio at the site. Carolyn was very fun and informative and made the 2-hour drive fly by. The ruins are really amazing and Lucio was great while there. They have added a fried plantain and a side of coleslaw to the chicken and rice and beans. It was a very filling lunch and tasted great. I highly recommend this tour if you're interested in historical sites.

Enjoyed your pics - could you elaborate on your Cozumel dive - excursion company and/or beach - the water was beautiful, as I'm sure it is all over Cozumel. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I would concur with the others...HIGHLY recommend this tour if you are interested in cultural sites! My (ex)husband and I took this tour after visiting Belize several times when we were cruising on the Carnival Legend. I was several months pregnant and was worried about the ride, heat, etc. but was committed to seeing the beautiful ruins. I was NOT disappointed!

The bus is indeed air conditioned and very comfy. Yes, the ride is long and the guides chatter non-stop but it was the best way to truly see a country and to learn about the people there. On our tour, we learned how much housing costs for the locals, etc. very interesting facts!

We stopped at a beautiful small resort (hotel??) of sorts where we were served a local lunch - chicken, beans and rice, and plantains - DELISH!

We continued on to the site. I was a little taken back by the armed (military) guards whom met us but realized that they were there to insure our safety. Incidentally, we didn't see them anywhere besides at the entrance. The ruins are GORGEOUS! I am afraid of heights but I braved climbing to the top and it was worth it! The overview was breathtaking! I do have to say it's steep but as I mentioned,even pregnant, out of shape me could manage!

After the visit, we went over to the few shops/stalls at the entrance and bought some beautiful artwork and jewelry!

This is one of my absolute favorite outings ever on a cruise! I really hope you give the ruins a go!

• 1 month later...

Archived