on children bugspray then sunblock or vice versa?

nvrdunn

getting ready to go on our trip and on some islands (roatan and belize) I know to bring bugspray. i just forget, do I apply bugspray first or the sunblock.

Thanks

Avon's Skin so Soft with SPF 50. It's a known (unknown) secret Skin So Soft repells insects.

I think it's sunscreen THEN bug spray for two reasons:

1 - If either is to be absorbed by the skin, you want it to be the sunscreen, not the bug spray.

2 - Unless you have a spray-on sunscreen, you don't want to rub off the bug spray when you rub in the sunscreen.

That being said, there are a few companies that make a sunscreen/bug repellent combo.

OR, you can carry a fabric softener dryer sheet in your pocket and skip the bug spray.

We use a brand called Bullfrog, its a combo sunblock/bugblock. Check camping stores/websites for it. You want to make sure, if possible, any bug repellent you use does not contain DEET as it can be toxic if misused (especially for kids) and there is also a concern that DEET reduces the ability of sunblock to protect you.

We use a brand called Bullfrog, its a combo sunblock/bugblock. Check camping stores/websites for it. You want to make sure, if possible, any bug repellent you use does not contain DEET as it can be toxic if misused (especially for kids) and there is also a concern that DEET reduces the ability of sunblock to protect you.

:)

I was always told to use a seperate product because you do not want to reapply bug spray with DEET as often as you need to apply sunscreen. You do not want to apply DEET any more than the bottle says to apply. Oh and you do want to put the sunblock on first!

:)

I was always told to use a seperate product because you do not want to reapply bug spray with DEET as often as you need to apply sunscreen. You do not want to apply DEET any more than the bottle says to apply. Oh and you do want to put the sunblock on first!

Yeah, we use Bullfrog as it is DEET free. You are right though about the order, sunscreen first, then bug spray. Sunscreen will work either on top or underneath, but if bug spray is underneath, it can't release its chemicals into the air to confuse the bugs.

Thanks. Our family has really sensitive skin and cant use the bullfrog brand. The only brand that my son (age 6) does not scream when I put on the lotion is the Baby Banana Boat brand. I had the same problem growing up.

Archived