Beware

BEEZALAR

Horrible. How is it that Carnival doesn't accept responsibility but mandates that you hand them over? EVERYTHING in my suitcase is valuable TO ME. I cannot afford to be missing my clothes, nor can I fit EVERYTHING into a carryon. Porters should be screend like TSA does. How can anyone get away with stealing one's luggage- aren't Porters, screeners and employees watched on cameras as well? Aren't there cameras in the hallways where security could see if someone messed with someone's luggage?

Very sorry you suffered a loss and hopefully did not ruin your trip.

However, you must not travel much. And I don't mean that as an insult. I travel a lot for work and then + vacation. My wife doesn't travel a lot except for vacation. So I've had to re-coach her how to travel since 9/11. What to carry on what is NOT ok to carry one, etc.

If you truly want to lock your bags, there are TSA approved locks. I don't know exactly how they work, as I've never bothered (I don't put valuables in checked bags). But you can go to any store, even Wally World and get TSA approved locks. Of course you have to trust that TSA employees won't steal your stuff, but that is an option.

You should note that any lock, TSA approved or any lock you would want to put on is just a deterrent. It will not stop anyone that really wants in. But it is like security in your home. Most thief's want an easy quick target. Make it just a little difficult or to take more time and most (but not all) will just move on.

As mentioned, I travel a lot. Often away from home 200 days a year (not including vacations) I'm in planes, airports, rent cars, etc, etc. I've only had one item stolen once in 10 years. It really is rare. And just a few basic precautions can put the odds even more in your favor.

I hope this doesn't deter you from traveling again.

I thought we weren't allowed to lock our luggage so that they could inspect it. Is that not true? I would much rather lock it and be on the safe side, because I have had something go missing from my suitcase before.

After I mentioned them, I can't find anything that says TXA locks are ok. However, best I can tell you can lock your luggage. However you must be prepared to have the locks cut off or at the very least the luggage held till they can get you and open it for inspection if they see something in the xray.

I found this on a simple google search,

Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz tells us that "It is not mandatory that guests keep their luggage unlocked and the wording in our guest communications is being softened a bit to indicate that we recommend it be unlocked in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in the delivery of luggage to the cabin ... If luggage is locked (including TSA locks) and potentially prohibited items are identified during the screening process, that luggage will be retained and must be opened by the guest in the presence of security personnel."

The porter, security screeners work under carnival in that compasity. and no passenger could have taken it, I was at my room when it was delivered.

The porters really don't work under Carnival in any fashion. They are completely independent. They work through the port authority usually and Carnival has no say whatsoever in who they hire or what they do.

Wow, you all need to take a chill. I just read all the posts and I was just trying to help with alittle warning about being careful not to leave anything of value in your luggage. If it was a carnival employee or not, it was taken from my bag. Now I know why I hate to post anything on this board. What a bunch of #$$%^$&'s you all are.

I have cruised 14 times and I'm not stupid. I accidently left the GPS in my bag.

Wow, there are lot of people here trying to be helpful and sympathetic and you decide to call everyone veiled names?

I did just think of something - you can probably file a claim on your travel insurance for the missing GPS and be reimbursed as long as you notified the ship and have an incident report or something to back it up.

Horrible. How is it that Carnival doesn't accept responsibility but mandates that you hand them over? EVERYTHING in my suitcase is valuable TO ME. I cannot afford to be missing my clothes, nor can I fit EVERYTHING into a carryon. Porters should be screend like TSA does. How can anyone get away with stealing one's luggage- aren't Porters, screeners and employees watched on cameras as well? Aren't there cameras in the hallways where security could see if someone messed with someone's luggage?

It happens with the TSA as well - I've had my bags cut open while checked with the airlines. Thankfully nothing taken as there was nothing but clothing/toiletries in the bag.

Wait, who puts valuables in checked luggage? That's just not smart. Always carry valuable items on with you. If it's too big to carry on and you don't want to leave it in the car, leave it at home.

So what happened with using a good ole map to find your way from point A to point B? Ok, all kidding aside, I am truely sorry that your GPS was stolen. Thank you for putting your experience on here so that some could learn from it.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I totally got your point at the beginning of the thread.....just warning us all about theft.

I agree with the other stuff you posted as well. :eek:

They are screened by the TSA. That doesn't mean they aren't subject to moments of stupidity and greed.

Thanks for your input. My post is not based on this thread alone. Now how much time do I need to spend on the Internet? If you are looking at my post count try again, I lurk way more than I post and was on here under a different name years befor this screen name.

Why would you assume I'm looking at your post count. Are you insecure about it? I'm referring more to your inability to discern a factual if brusque post from a full-out flame.

Why would you assume it was a Carnival employee. It could have been:

• The porter
  • The security screener
  • A passenger after you bag was dropped in front of your room

I would like to point out the OP never said it was an employee they just said just working for them. There is a difference.

For those who say that they don't check anything of value. I personally don't bring worthless stuff with me.

Why would you assume I'm looking at your post count. Are you insecure about it? I'm referring more to your inability to discern a factual if brusque post from a full-out flame.

Cat, you must be concerned about your post count. I can care less. The OP posted a warning for all. He was then hit with a bunch of why you never put electronics blah blah and you must not travel much blah blah. You have your opinion of it and I have mine. Will we ever agree, doubt it. Will you post something else in reply, probably. Will it change anything? Nope.

Cat, you must be concerned about your post count. I care care less. The OP posted a warning for all. He was then hit with a bunch of why you never put electronics blah blah and you must not travel much blah blah. You have your opinion of it and I have mine. Will we ever agree, doubt it. Will you post something else in reply, probably. Will it change anything? Nope.

I honestly don't care about my post count. It fluctuates daily. Posts come, they go. A thread gets deleted, it goes down without my effort on my own. The OP didn't post a warning. He posted a rant. And yes, he was hit with advice (be it after the fact) because this isn't anything most of the longtime posters and lurkers of this forum don't already know, as well as something a seasoned traveler (or even someone who commutes on public transportation) should know. I really don't care if I change your opinion of me but posting a warning that isn't a warning but a rant with bad information for others is going to get responses. If people can't handle others responding to them, they should start their own blogs where they can approve their response comments or delete that at their whim.

Bummer it got stolen by whoever. I still kick myself for leaving the REAL windshield sticker suction holder in a rental car in Hawaii. Now I have a vent holder that I don't like as I didn't want to pay $100.00 for new windshield holder. :eek:

Never thought about bringing one on the cruise to use. Neat idea and I will do it in October. I will enjoy seeing where we are and so will dh.

Definitely will carry on. And, what a good idea about the home address. Any little thing you can do to discourage the thieves in the world is a good option for me.

Go buy another one and just move on. Some things you have to forget and learn.

Go ahead and book another cruise too. That will make you feel even better.

I honestly don't care about my post count. It fluctuates daily. Posts come, they go. A thread gets deleted, it goes down without my effort on my own. The OP didn't post a warning. He posted a rant. And yes, he was hit with advice (be it after the fact) because this isn't anything most of the longtime posters and lurkers of this forum don't already know, as well as something a seasoned traveler (or even someone who commutes on public transportation) should know. I really don't care if I change your opinion of me but posting a warning that isn't a warning but a rant with bad information for others is going to get responses. If people can't handle others responding to them, they should start their own blogs where they can approve their response comments or delete that at their whim.

Who said anything about changing my opinion of you? I don't know you at all. However, I do like the story you tell about the people at your table in the MDR that gets brought up every family event. Some seem to think that they can just say anything on here no matter how harsh it is. The OP made a mistake, he knows it. Must he be told it over and over?

Who said anything about changing my opinion of you? I don't know you at all. However, I do like the story you tell about the people at your table in the MDR that gets brought up every family event.

My family has a long memory ... unless it comes to things you told them ten minutes ago. ;)

Some seem to think that they can just say anything on here no matter how harsh it is.

I don't deny that. The anonymous nature of the internet does lead some to think they can post with impunity. I always ask myself, would I say this to someone's face. For the most part the answer is yes, I would. Sometimes it's yes, I would, and I would probably get punched in the mouth too.

The OP made a mistake, he knows it. Must he be told it over and over?

Yes. Because that is the nature of the messageboard culture. 90% of people will respond without reading the thread all the way through, thus throwing more "oh no you didn't!" at the OP. 9% will concur with those chatising. 0.5% will offer a constructive suggestion. The remaining 0.5% will try to hijack the thread.

My family has a long memory ... unless it comes to things you told them ten minutes ago. ;)

I don't deny that. The anonymous nature of the internet does lead some to think they can post with impunity. I always ask myself, would I say this to someone's face. For the most part the answer is yes, I would. Sometimes it's yes, I would, and I would probably get punched in the mouth too.

Yes. Because that is the nature of the messageboard culture. 90% of people will respond without reading the thread all the way through, thus throwing more "oh no you didn't!" at the OP. 9% will concur with those chatising. 0.5% will offer a constructive suggestion. The remaining 0.5% will try to hijack the thread.

Cat, I agree fully. Keep the funny stories coming.

Boy, Do I wish I could make this thread go away! :(

On the upper right hand corner of every post, there is an icon of an exclamation point on a white sign with a red border. If you hit that, it will open up a window so you can notify the moderators that you find this thread offensive.

Archived