shoes at stingray island

erRN2be

I was wondering if you wore shoes (i.e. water shoes) or if you just went barefoot when you got in the water with the stingrays.

We are scheduled for the rays,reef and rum point in April with Nativeway. I figure that actually two of the kids and myself will be the only ones getting in the water. My husband says he will do no such thing!!!, and my grandmother does not swim. She would like to maybe touch one, but doesn't want to swim with them.

I also wondered how you got in and out of the boats while either with the stingrays and/or snorkeling?

Chelle

It's really up to you if you want to wear water shoes. The boats usually go to the sandbar and usually there aren't any rocks or debris (only sand). Although stingrays usually hide under the sand because they know they will be fed they will all be milling about and not be under the sand. Regarding getting on/off the boats, my guess is that you would have to climb the boat's ladder, however some boats have a swim platform (slightly lower than the main boat) that you can climb on/off.

it was such a wonderful experience! We never felt any danger, and just make sure your husband has his swimsuit on, because I think he'll figure out how neat it is once he sees you all get in the water. The rays are incredibly soft when you touch one, the bottom is very soft sand, and your head is out of the water unless you're a little kid.

I may be wrong, but I think they requested that no one wear water shoes for fear that you may step on the stingrays. I do know they did not want anyone wearing fins. The water is only about 4 feet deep and the bottom is soft sand so it isn't a problem going barefoot. Most of the time you just "stand" and let the rays come to you so your grandmother doesn't need to know how to swim. They will also have snorkeling vests available to keep her afloat should she lose her balance.

Try to encourage all of your family to get into the water. The rays are like gentle kittens who brush up against your legs as they swim by ever so gracefully! Its something no one should miss!

mathgal...believe me I am trying to get everyone involved especially in on this. Dh and grandmother will both have their swimsuits on so maybe they will see how kewl it is and change their mind. I can only hope. :)

But if not me and my boys will enjoy it enough for all of us

Chelle

Chelle: DH & I went to Stingray City on a ship excursion last spring. I do remember being told not to wear water shoes - to keep from injuring any stingrays imbedded in the sand.

Please note: I am absolutely terrified of water deeper than a bath tub, yet I had a ball on this excursion. It took me a few minutes to feel comfortable out on the sand bar. I am only 5-foot tall so water came up above my chest in spots where we were anchored.

But I regard that excursion as one of the highlights of my life. What a great experience. If I can do it and enjoy it so much, I'd say just about anyone can. :)

Dianne

To me there is nothing that feels better then standing in the ocean/sea with sand between your toes and the water gently lapping around you. Heaven on earth.

The fact that we can swim with and feed stingrays is a plus. Dh will take some major convincing, but I have decided for the best that we will wait till we get out there. I have tried to convince him that he will like it, but the fear of the unknown is greater then my talking.

:)

Charlie did anyone step on a stingray?

What happens if you do, will they sting you?

According to the pros who ran the charter boat, the chances of a sting from the rays are very minimal. Your guides show you the correct and safe way to touch and stroke the rays to prevent you from scaring them.

I remember them daying medical treatment is necessary if a ray stings you.

Don't think anyone in our group actually stepped on a ray while we were there. There were probably 20 different charter boats out at the sandbar at the time we were there.

Dianne

Charlie did anyone step on a stingray?

What happens if you do, will they sting you?

No one stepped on a sting ray. I've taken two trips on both they specified no shoes and no fins on sand bar. Also they instructed us to do the "sting ray shuffle" i.e. shuffling your feet instead of taking high steps, just to make sure you don't come down on a ray - although having been there I don't think that could happen unless you were very careless or trying to step on one - and even then. . .

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone being stung there.

We were just there last week with Native Way, and they specified no water shoes. I actually did step on one, stepping backwards. They were just everywhere!! It didn't sting me, I just sort of immediately picked my feet up and fell back into the water. They are so unbelievably tame! Our guide was picking them up completely out of the water. It was definitely the highlight of our trip.

Hi There, We did a private tour to Sting Ray City with Captain Marvin last December and it was great, basically they told us no water shoes or fins because they didn't want the water to get all churned up by the sand, so we could see better. Definitely the high light of our trip.

Judy

Archived