Visa (I think) question...

cod

A quick background..my DH was born in Italy but has been an American citizen for 40+ years and has, of course, an American passport. (Neither here-nor-there, really).

The rest of his family is in Italy. His great-niece (I've never used that term but it's his sister's daughter's daughter) would like to visit us for a month+ this summer...she's 16 by the way.

Now my question. Our kids are all wanting her to spend some of her time here with their families..good idea as the alternative is spending her vacation with 2 old fogies!!

Now for my 'cruise' related question. One of our daughters is already booked on a summer cruise and asked me if bringing Giulia with them wouldn't be a great idea. I guess they could add her on but my question is about her visa/passport that she'll be traveling with. Would she have to tell the Italian authorities in advance that she might be going to Mexico since that's where the cruise would be going in order to board the ship while here?

I guess I could call Carnival but from experience, asking a question on these boards is always so much easier and much more likely to result in a correct answer.

Thanks!!

Oooops, I am wiping egg off my face as I write this! I thought I was on the Carnival board! See...my old fogie observation was totally correct.

Can we just 'pretend' NCL is the cruiseline in question since, no doubt, the rules would be the same?

It is funny (sort of strange) how the internet has changed how we do business SO MUCH!

In the old days, this would have meant sending a 'letter' to the US or Italian State Dept--or both--asking this question. They are making the rules, not anonymous posters on a public forum.

I will quickly admit that it is possible to get some good, useful, current and worthwhile info on these pages. But I often wonder how some of these stories turn out, when people write and ask questions about overweight luggage, smuggled booze, shorts in the main dining room on dressup night, booking a flight that lands an hour before the ship sails, etc etc etc. Do they stand in front of the official and protest that 'savysailor20' said it was ok?

Ditto the questions about medical problems, tide, temperature and weather forecasts, issues with insurance or mis-reading a contract, other legal questions and so many other questions that would seem to be so much better handled by writing to the cruise line, Coast Guard, their attorney, travel agent, physician, Congress etc etc.

Still great fun and often interesting reading. And to repeat, amongst the rubble there are indeed some gems.

Regardless of what is required by the countries your great niece would be visiting, I think the cruise line will require a parental consent form for a minor (in the eyes of the cruise line) travelling without her parents.

As far as passport/visa - the Italian authorities will be able to provide this information.

A quick background..my DH was born in Italy but has been an American citizen for 40+ years and has, of course, an American passport. (Neither here-nor-there, really).

The rest of his family is in Italy. His great-niece (I've never used that term but it's his sister's daughter's daughter) would like to visit us for a month+ this summer...she's 16 by the way.

Now my question. Our kids are all wanting her to spend some of her time here with their families..good idea as the alternative is spending her vacation with 2 old fogies!!

Now for my 'cruise' related question. One of our daughters is already booked on a summer cruise and asked me if bringing Giulia with them wouldn't be a great idea. I guess they could add her on but my question is about her visa/passport that she'll be traveling with. Would she have to tell the Italian authorities in advance that she might be going to Mexico since that's where the cruise would be going in order to board the ship while here?

I guess I could call Carnival but from experience, asking a question on these boards is always so much easier and much more likely to result in a correct answer.

Thanks!!

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/without/without_1990.html#travelertype

Hmmm, good question. I don't know. She would just be visiting, no school or work involved so I guess whatever that entails. But I will ask.

I am assuming a 90 day visa waver. This is the most common way to holiday in the states. Ignore the rest of the post if she is getting a "proper" visa.

She will get a card that is green (not a green card !) stapled to her passport when she enters the us.

She keeps this card for her stay , up to 90 days , returning it when leaving the country.

But , on a closed loop cruise she will keep this card , showing it when she re-enters the usa at the cruise to get back in.

You will need to check she can visit all the cruise stops without a visa. When you check who is allowed without a visa she will qualify if they allow Italian citizens , Eu citizens or people from schengen countries.

As posted above if she is under 21 you will need a form giving parental permission for her to travel.

Archived