Has every cruise line out there suffered from cut backs???

Yellowlily

Just returned from RCCI's Freedom of the Seas. While we had a great vacation, we definitely noticed the cut backs. We haven't cruised before this for 2 years, but noticed a lot of things that were not nearly as good as they used to be.

On a positive note, I have to say, the ship was gorgeous, great staff overall, comfortable room, very nice. I also noticed a lot of things that RCCI has done to make things better for customer - more online reservations (gifts, dining, etc.).

However.....I am one of those cruisers that definitely has enjoyed the little extras over the years. Now that they are dwindling, I am a bit saddened. We had a fantastic room steward who has been with RCCI for 20 plus years and he pointed out to me how they have made cut backs. Well, I had noticed and that really put it into perspective.

No more chocolates on your pillow at night, no more gifts for platinum/diamond members (albeit the special breakfast was a nice touch), no more "truly good deals" with the plat/diamond coupon book, no more midnight buffet....and I hate to say it folks, but it's true..........(and maybe it's also due to the Freedom being large)....the food was most definitely lacking. We thought Chops was pretty wonderful (although it was better on the Jewel), Portofino was nice but not spectacular. The dining room was so-so. Had one great meal there, the rest were ok. The buffet was not good at all. Dining room breakfast and lunch was rather nice (food was pretty good and the atmosphere was nice).

OK, I didn't mean for this post to turn into a review of the FOS, but explanations do help, IMO. I do have to say that the staff was great and Adventure Ocean was terrific!!!!

So.....for all you parents out there........because the kids program has got to be a determining factor when planning a cruise...have you noticed cut backs and to what degree on certain lines?

Of course, we'd love to go on another cruise in the future - as always....but looking back, not sure if RCCI is a good choice. Maybe it was because the Freedom was so large, not sure.

What we are looking for is: great kids program, still great food, great entertainment (FOS was not so great, except comedian was wonderful).

We'd had some fantastic RCCI cruises - the Jewel being our favorite. My other favorite has got to be the Carnival Valor (across the board fantastic) and Celebrity Constellation (except maybe lacking in kids club?? and a bit on the boring side as it comes to entertainment).

So, with that, if anyone has an opinion of to what you think my family and I would enjoy since we still want to enjoy those extra ammenties that we are so used to getting with a cruise and that are still there, I'd love to hear.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. :)

Archived