Does your waiter learn your name?

JerseyDude

I haven't been on a Celebrity cruise yet, but on all my other cruises, the waiters always address guests by their names. Every single night. And always accompanied by "Mr, Mrs, or Miss". Now, of course, he/she may have a list of the people at the table and is reading from there the first night, but usually soon after it becomes routine.

I think when you are employed in the service industry, there are certain skills that get developed quickly and become easier. And that's why despite the constant flow of guests from week to week, they can remember your name even if they see you outside the MDR. The posts about a waiter remembering you from two years ago is indeed amazing. I always think that I'll never forget our waiters names, but invariably after several months, you do.

Denims - just out of curiosity, who was your waiter? We had Yogo and his assistant Carlos at Table 149, second seating. I had noted they didn't bother to learn our names. The service was fine, but I wouldn't say superior.

Art

Interestingly we were on the Summit April 17 and found it "strange" that the waiter asked what we preferred to be called yet both the assistant and waiter referred to me as "Princess". We were not often addressed by our names. I wasn't impressed because I'm in my late 50's and heard him call some pre teens 'princess' as well. This is the first cruise that I've been addressed in this way.

Our service was ok and both the assistant waiter and waiter were attentive.

By the way, our food on Summit was just mediocre. We found it acceptable but not spectacular.

The shrimp cocktail was four shrimp but good. Each night I ordered soup but it was always just warm. Nothing to get excited about really. On the other hand, the escargot was excellent and the best we've had on any cruise. It was always hot and succulent. We shared one each night and it was consistent and wonderful. Dont' miss it! The lobster bisque was so salty I could not finish it and mentioned that to the cook the night they visited tables in the dining room.

The main course dishes each night were ok but not exciting. We were disappointed that only three desserts were featured each night on the special trays the waiter brought around. On the Infinity, we had 5 and they were much more interesting.

Yes, food is subjective. We found it acceptable but not actually memorable.

Archived