need a little help

babyRn30

Kinda of a silly question.....we are flying into long beach...will be in LA for a week ahead of time to sightsee....i was thinking instead of doing all of my precruise shopping here that i would do it in LA so we don't take a chance of overweight bags...but i am wondering if this is a crazy idea? is there a walmart or such nearby? just wondering. thanks.

Your post lacks a lot of important details but I will assume you're on Carnival. You also don't say what you want to buy, I will assume snacks, etc. There are various grocery and convenience stores near the Carnival docks (be aware that Carnival does not allow you to bring aboard beer or wine). The LA area is retail madness so whatever you want to buy is within a 5 mile radius of Carnival. Your call whether you want to spend your vacation time running to stores to shop.

Airlines in the US tend to restrict dimensions more than weight. Total weight is quite generous compared to European airlines (I can't imagine coming anywhere close to the weight allowance of most US airlines.)

We did almost the same thing for our Alaskan cruise. Got to Seattle a full day early on the train. Rented a car and drove to Target and Safeway (so just two stores, but nowadays Target or Walmart would probably do) and got some items and beverages. We didn't take all day; just an hour or two and had plenty of time later on to do some sightseeing (we were staying a few days post-cruise, too).

Not sure which hotel you'll be in (I'm guessing Long Beach) or if you're renting a vehicle as that may determine which stores you can get to easily. Some hotels may have a shuttle that will take you to within a certain radius. Long Beach also has a free bus that goes along the waterfront, but I'm not sure if that area includes the type of stores you're looking for.

Here's info about Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?sfsearch_city=Long+Beach&sfsearch_state=CA&sfsearch_zip=&x=10&y=14&=Continue&continue=17

Target:

http://sites.target.com/site/en/spot/search_results.jsp?&mapType=standard&startAddress=long+beach%2C+ca&startingLat=33.76641644507579&startingLong=-118.19235279432533&filter=HasWine&_requestid=537461

If you're looking for alcohol (the drinking kind), some Targets sell wine. In California, you can buy booze at many drug and grocery stores. Even on Sunday.

I would suggest using google maps to pinpoint where your hotel is and stores relative to it. You can also ask advice of your concierge or hotel manager.

There are places in Long Beach to pick up what you will need. Long Beach has a free shuttle (the red bus) that will take you around the area even downtown Long Beach

and over to the Queen Mary.

I am so impressed with the quick and thorough replies. We are actually staying near knotts berry farms and we do have a rental car. Our plan is to have DH drop us off at the port and then return the car to the airport and catch a cab back to the port. Anyone see a flaw in our plan? This is our first time to LA/ Long Beach and we are doing alot of guessing :-)

There will be plenty of strip malls with Target, Walmart, CVS, etc. both around Knott's and enroute to Carnival. Just wing it since you will have a car.

Many of the rental car companies have downtown Long Beach locations. If yours does (make sure they are open and will accept a drop-off) it will be more convenient and faster than LGB airport. That said, your airport plan is OK too.

There is a huge Target in the Buena Park shopping center not too far from Knott's Berry Farm. It probably has everything you want and at a reasonable price (don't forget the sunscreen.)

I think the idea to pick up the car in downtown Long Beach may be a major time saver on departure day--if the rate is the same or less than your current rate. Just take a cab from the Long Beach airport. You can probably take the free passport bus back to the Carnival port site. (I know it stops at the Queen Mary which is right next door.)

I am so impressed with the quick and thorough replies. We are actually staying near knotts berry farms and we do have a rental car. Our plan is to have DH drop us off at the port and then return the car to the airport and catch a cab back to the port. Anyone see a flaw in our plan? This is our first time to LA/ Long Beach and we are doing alot of guessing :-)

Just hope you know the distances involved. What places are you planning to see during the pre-cruise week?

Archived