How can I make a 5 day stretch?

I've learned ...that staying at a hotel for 2 nights followed by a 5 night cruise is more expensive than cruising for 7 nights.

That's a valid point. I did a 4-day cruise out of NOLA and stayed there before the cruise because I planned a vacation that way but hotels and meals and sightseeing added up. But NOLA is special and the food is great and very reasonably priced for what you get.

I've been on many 4-night cruises and did not feel that the time went by too fast. Carnival gives you both major production shows so you really don't miss out on the night life. What you might want to do is skip getting off the ship in a port that might not be too exciting and take advantage of the ship's ammenities like the spa and the pool which are usually less busy when the ship is in port. Sea days at the pool can be way too crowded. Many people find that they didn't get to see enough the ship when they are busy running off every day. You'll also save money by having all your meals onboard. Or else, plan your morning on board (because most people get off the ship early) have lunch and then go off the ship. You'll find that people start returning to the ship around lunch time and that's when things get busy again. You might still have enough time to do something in port after lunch and have had a more enjoyable time on the ship.

I think your best bet is a pre- and/or post-cruise add-on. I did a 5-day last year because I was looking for a quick getaway & I'll never do it again. Hope your experience is better than mine was! Just way too short for me.

We love 5 day cruises..have done 7 and 5 and preferred the 5 day with a pre-cruise stay in the port city...but then again I am a homebody and usually can't wait to get home anyway....:p

I always plan on a 2 day pre-cruise getaway in the port city and research things to do that aren't expensive, and relaxing....after all like another poster said our vacation starts the minute our car backs out of the drive

Archived