Oil Slick

Kap Jack

Crystal Ball Gazers. No one knows anything. At this time it is business as usual.

I realize that no one knows anything. It is just an opinion question, just like 90% of the other questions on the boards.

I realize that no one knows anything. It is just an opinion question, just like 90% of the other questions on the boards.

Opinions, just like all the other post on threads about the Gulf oil problem

It won't affect cruises out of these ports other than some possible delays entering the ports to have the oil washed off. The ports will remain open, as both have wash stations in place and are prepared for eventually having to wash inbound ships. The latest forecasts for the movement of the slick is westerly for a few days. Then, our guess is as good as theirs.

If they don't get the leaking well capped soon, when do you think the oil slick will start to have effects on the New Orleans & Mobile based cruises?

Kap Jack,

You do know that mentioning this subject on this forum will bring wrath upon you? :eek: I found that out the hard way!

I see the reason for your concern though with a 4 day to Cozumel out of Mobile in 30 days. There isn't a lot of wiggle room in a 4 day itinerary to deal with delays.

As mentioned, operations have been unaffected thus far, but who can know what the situation might be 30 days from now. The well might be capped and cleanup going better than expected, or things could take a turn for the worse and the orange goo stretches half way to Cozumel. I am hoping for the former outcome. ;)

Here is a good site to monitor the spill and the current projections: http://gohsep.la.gov/oilspill.aspx As you can see they only project out 3 days, and even at that the projections do not all agree.

My advice is to plan assuming you are going to have a pleasant and on-schedule vacation. That will probably be the case, and it is too close to departure to change anything anyway. :) In any case it will be an adventure!

Archived