What not to miss in Dominica

flossy999

Please advise on what we would be missing out on if we didnt see or visit pretty open minded and like to try things love lots of stuff been lazy, walking, shopping, eating, watersports complete mixed bag really any advice appreciated

Cheers

Vicky

We did Canyoning... and thought it was the most unique thing to do on the island- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=929606

You have to be in shape, but it was easier then it looks... the guides walked us through-it, even though my wife was a complete beginner. ;) The only hard part is a good bit of walking on big rocks in a river bed.

I liked it because its a very small group (less than 10 people)

The only down-side is they can't do it in a heavy rain.

We got back on Sunday and I we did the Titou gorge swim to the falls and Screw's Spa booked thru Pepper's Taxi-Tours.. both sites were really cool and the downpouring rain just added to the expierience at Screw's..

I would also recommend Pepper if you have enough people in your group you can customize the day for whatever you want.

We ended up with 10 people and it was only $30 pp (+$10 for screws) which included beer/water/punch/peanut punch + some sandwiches. well worth it.

We did Canyoning... and thought it was the most unique thing to do on the island- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=929606

You have to be in shape, but it was easier then it looks... the guides walked us through-it, even though my wife was a complete beginner. ;) The only hard part is a good bit of walking on big rocks in a river bed.

I liked it because its a very small group (less than 10 people)

The only down-side is they can't do it in a heavy rain.

the rainforest, the waterfalls, snorkelling on champagne reef, titou gorge, the list is endless. the mini buses are waiting for you outside the port and will take you where you want, if you wait for a few people you can usually have the whole day for $25 or $30. it is a lovely port and a very safe island, you will enjoy it.

We've been to Dominica twice. It is an island of much natural beauty. Perhaps you'd enjoy a tour that takes you up into the rain forest so that you can experience some of the beauty of the island and see the Emerald Pool. The Emerald Pool is a very pretty spot; a pool that's fed by a waterfall in a grotto-like setting. Very tropical. It's reached by a drive and then hike down to the pool, where you can swim if you like (my husband did, I chose not to as the water was too chilly for me) and then hike back up. The hike is not difficult, but it is a bit steep. From there, you could go to Mr. Nice Fruit Stand, a fun stop where you can sample all sorts of local fruit and also try your hand at squeezing juice from sugar cane. A nice, refreshing stop. Lastly, I'd recommend snorkeling at Champagne Reef. We've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii, and this was a unique experience. There are all these bubbles (the "champagne")that fizz up around you as you snorkel and there are also a nice variety of fish and coral.

We've toured both times on Dominica with Reyno of Reyno Tours. You can contact him at reynotours@gmail.com

Thankyou

for your help so far we have booked snorkeling in Bonaire and going to do Dunns Falls but catching the shuttle.

Like the idea of island trip and maybe a couple of stops for a swim, photos and a drink or 2 our main problem will be making sure kids arent sat too long on a bus hubby aint keen on that either.

We go on Ventura 3rd Dec visit Barbados, Bonaire, Aruba, Ochos Rios, Dominica, St Marten and St kitts

so hopefully will see a good variety my eldest also fancies zip lining so any tips on where is the best to do this much appreciated

We took a tour with Bumpiing Tours, which we saw a good chunk of Dominica.

The highlight of our tour was Titou Gorge. The cave was filmed in one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

This involves a swim into a cave. The water is fresh water and a little cool, around 70F, but if you are from the north, the temperature is no different than swimming in a lake. Floatation belts are provided by the tour company as parts of the cave are 10 feet deep, and there is a bit of a current due to the small waterfalls in the cave.

To me this was a unique experience. Unfortunateky, we brought a disposable waterproof camera. Because is was a little bit dark, my pictures didn't turn out very well. If you have a waterproof digital camera, make sure you bring it.

Thankyou

for your help so far we have booked snorkeling in Bonaire and going to do Dunns Falls but catching the shuttle.

Like the idea of island trip and maybe a couple of stops for a swim, photos and a drink or 2 our main problem will be making sure kids arent sat too long on a bus hubby aint keen on that either.

We go on Ventura 3rd Dec visit Barbados, Bonaire, Aruba, Ochos Rios, Dominica, St Marten and St kitts

so hopefully will see a good variety my eldest also fancies zip lining so any tips on where is the best to do this much appreciated

We booked a private tour with Reyno because we'll have our two kids with us, too, and they both have very short attention spans (So do I), and I didn't want a tour where their whining would affect others' tour if they were bored. We plan on doing Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Point, Mr Nice Fruit Stand, and whatever else we can squeeze in.

We booked a private tour with Reyno because we'll have our two kids with us, too, and they both have very short attention spans (So do I), and I didn't want a tour where their whining would affect others' tour if they were bored. We plan on doing Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Point, Mr Nice Fruit Stand, and whatever else we can squeeze in.

That sounds perfect! Reyno will stop for some photo op's too, which will allow for some stretching of the legs along the drive, and you'll get some nice shots of your ship from a good vantage point. The kids all seem to like Mr. Nice Fruit Stand, and neither Trafalgar Falls or Emerald Pool are long or difficult hikes. Also, Reyno provides guides on his tours, and the guides will point out things on the hikes to your kids that they might miss on their own.

Have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

Which of all these things would be appropriate for someone with some physical disability issues? My wife is partly paralyzed on right side so can use one arm and walks with straight (fused) leg. She also has terrible balance so uneven surfaces are difficult. On the cruise she wants to try parasailing, snorkeling and maybe a zip line. River tubing would be good with lifejacket - with only one useful arm she can't swim - just sort of goes in circles as she sinks. ;) The cave thing sounds like a possibility.

Thanks.

Our favorites in Dominica were swimming in Titou Gorge, river rafting, and visiting Jacks waterfall. Beno Tours was our first choice for our Dominica day trip. Both my husband and I really wanted to cover the island while our cruise ship was docked at Roseau. From start to finish, the trip was truly first-class and professional. We had the best communication and tour of Dominica with Augustine. When we arrived at port, we were approached by crowd of tour guides and many asking us if we needed a ride. We said our tour was with Beno, and it was so funny to see the crowd part and Augustine of Beno Tours there just in our line of sight across the street. Augustine is a well-known and renowned local that works hard to bring tourism to his country. His company, Beno Tours, is top notch for discovering all that the country has to offer. As a traveler, you are not defined to what everyone else wants to do. He wants each individual to have a unique and fulfilling experience.

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by Augustine and led to a very comfortable SUV. Beno Tours has an extremely clean and well equip fleet of amazing cars, vans, and SUV. Throughout our short stay in Dominica, we found Beno Tours popular too. We works with not only small groups but very large groups too. What to Do in Dominica can be an easy decision by sending Augustine an email on what your interests are. There are so many places to see in Dominica. Which one is right for you depends on your adventure level (hiking, tubing, snorkeling), culture interests (Caribe, Mr. Nice’s Fruit Stand), and (swimming). Beno Tours is a professionally run first-class business and Augustine (or one of his tour guides) directs you from the moment you arrive in Dominica. We highly recommend BenoNatureTours.com. You can reach Augustine at bnpascal@gmail.com

I have not been on Reno tours but have been in email contact with him and found him to be very reasonable and quick to respond. He seems very excited about his new website. reynotours.com. We will be using him in September when we go - My Mom has some physical issues and he was more then willing to work with us so we can all go to the same places together

Will provide review once back in the States,

Which of all these things would be appropriate for someone with some physical disability issues? My wife is partly paralyzed on right side so can use one arm and walks with straight (fused) leg. She also has terrible balance so uneven surfaces are difficult. On the cruise she wants to try parasailing, snorkeling and maybe a zip line. River tubing would be good with lifejacket - with only one useful arm she can't swim - just sort of goes in circles as she sinks. ;) The cave thing sounds like a possibility.

Thanks.

Please pose your question on the Disabilities forum. You must be very careful what you choose to do on Dominica. Compared to other islands it is a very rough island - that fact is not well communicated in tour descriptions. Almost every place is rough in some way - the pier is wooden and not flat. The downtown market area is cobblestoned - very uneven footing. I've done the rain forest tram, Emerald Pool, Trafalgar Falls, tubing, Titou Gorge, and Champagne reef. The only one of those places I would recommend for someone with the physical disabilities you described is the rain forest tram.

Thanks.

Sounds great. The parasailing landing back on a boat might just be a controlled crash like I made.

Titou Gorge- Easy in the Gorge, but difficult to get down the rocks into the gorge.

We use Levi Baron of Bumping tours and he was great. He will actually pull you through the current into the cave with a line if you don't want to swim against the current.

The hardest part is getting down the rocks into the pool.

The Champagne Pool snorkeling has a slight walk to get to the area.

Don't forget that it is a short hike up to Titou Gorge and the trail could definitely be described as uneven in places. There is a boardwalk out to the snorkeling location at Champagne Reef - I'd say it was about the same distance as getting from the ship to the pier area. Also, the beach at Champagne reef is all stones. Water shoes would be a must for either. Take a look at the following pictures:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1208103&highlight=picture

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623055&highlight=picture&page=2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=991087&highlight=picture

• 3 weeks later...

To 138 east: my kids are looking in to wacky rollers and tubing. Is the tubing slow and boring (question from my 17 yr. old boy) and thus not worth doing? Or is it a little fast and fun? He would rather head back to the ship after the wacky rollers if the tubing isn't worthwhile.

Sorry this is off topic.

To OP: The cruise line usually has excursions listed for people with disabilities, but I suppose it's best to go directly to the tour operators.

try reyno tours, or bumpiing. I haven't been, but have seen good things about both on CC.

Thanks.

Emerald pool is a bit of a hike ... over tree stumps and on boarded walkways. There are also some steep places. All this might seem like nothing to able bodied individuals but if you have any type of mobility issues it could be too much.. I am such an individual and it was almost too much. You keep going because you think you have gone this far anyway.. then you need to make the hike all the way back up the hill. Had I known I would not have gone.

I am not a wimp, I have done river tubing in Jamaica and Dominica, snorkel every chance I get , etc but I did not enjoy the trip to Emerald falls due to the terrain.

Just my opinion

• 1 month later...

Archived