Snorkeling off the beach in Cozumel?

nicole_p

We will be in Cozumel in the beginning of June, and we have heard that the snorkeling there is incredible. We're trying to decide whether to book an excursion or just go snorkeling off the beach. Any ideas on (1) whether the snorkeling off the beach is just as good as the places the excursions go, and (2) if snorkeling off the beach is good, any suggestions about which beach to go to? Thanks!

Before Hurricane Wilma, the shore snorkeling at the Coral Princess hotel was as good as at any reef. The last time I was there in 2008 the fish had come back, but the coral was still in recovery mode. The snorkeling at Chankanaab is supposed to be pretty good, you do have to pay the admission fee to get into the park.

Behind El Cid hotel is where there is a Corsair airplane in 30 feet of water, it can be cool to watch the divers down below.

Hey Nicole, I noticed that you have posted on other ports so I will give my experience for all of them. We have snorkeled at all of these ports several times.

On Coz I would pick either Chankanaab Park or Dzul Ha (Money Bar) for shore snorkeling. I have heard that Playa Uvas and Playa Corona are good but have not done them, yet.;) Chank is the only place that we have visited twice.

On Grand Caymen I would take Nativeway's Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour. You can google them for more info. If you want to snorkel from shore you can grab a taxi or public van to Cemetary Beach. The beach is nice, snorkeling fair but when we were there we had maybe 30 people total. The best snorkeling was a good distance from the beach, however. Eden Rock near the tenderdock is supposed to be good. You can walk to it.

Roatan from shore would be Tabyana Beach. You can wade to the reef.

For a boat trip check out Upachaya Resort. (google) I wanted to book this trip but was too late. They stay booked 4-6 weeks ahead. Good reviews though. I will definetly book it next time.

Archived