Disney 28 August Med Cruise with wheelchair

eileen31425

Does anyone have any advice about shore excursions for someone using a wheelchair? I don't usually book excursions with the cruise line. This is my first Med cruise so I have no idea what to expect in our ports of call. My husband can stand and walk very short distances with his forearm crutches. We are taking his a folding manual wheelchair for shore excursions since I don't think his electric one will work for some of the tours.

Does anyone have any advice about shore excursions for someone using a wheelchair? I don't usually book excursions with the cruise line. This is my first Med cruise so I have no idea what to expect in our ports of call. My husband can stand and walk very short distances with his forearm crutches. We are taking his a folding manual wheelchair for shore excursions since I don't think his electric one will work for some of the tours.

My two favorite cruise line are Disney and Celebrity. I use a travel agent and book my excursions through the travel agent, because of the travel wheelchair. In some cases I have done the excursion and know exactly what we can successfully handle. On the whole Europe is not as handicap accessible as the U.S. when dealing with places such as Rome, Naples, and so forth.

Read the excursion explanation in great detail. Have the travel agent or yourself contact Disney and ask for the individuals who handle accessibility issues. Before you call know the exact dimensions of the chair open and folded in addition to the weight. In Gibraltar, the travel wheelchair bit in the narrow isle way of the minibus.

Please be willing to compromise. For example, we had no problem in Pisa, which my mom enjoyed and could keep up with the tour guide without a problem. In Gibraltar she could do everything except go into the cave. We were just thrilled she could go along and go to do everything else.

Also, if you examine the Disney excursions, I believe they have marked which excursions are suitable for wheelchairs.

On the Disney Magic we have found the entire crew to be very helpful with my mom and her travel wheelchair. On the ship she uses the travel wheelchair as a walker and can go just about everywhere on the ship. Because we have cruised with Disney over 13 times, we were allowed to go on an exclusive tour behind the scenes into the kitchen and food processing area. I checked with guess services, and the Disney staff was extremely helpful in making this happen. At the end of this coming January we are going on back to back cruises on the Magic.

Archived