How much was your OBC from your TA?

shoegal24

Bob - she cannot answer the question.

No amount of "amazing service" is worth $3000.

Besides, you are on Cruise Critic and thus an undesirable client like the rest of us. LOL

Yes, I get that.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You won't get what makes a full service TA worth giving up an OBC because no TA who is full service and who knows of this board wants a cruise critic poster as a client...ever.

Besides telling you what constitutes as a description of amazing service would be construed as a solicitation and is against the rules. Just know that those who are going for the OBC I don't blame at all, but you certainly are sacrificing service for that OBC and that is in fact BRILLIANTLY STATED and true!

I don't know if you suffer from sour grapes or something considerably worse.

PROVE??? - a quote from my TA is good as gold - always has been, always will be.

And my TA loves CC posters - she thinks we are the most savvy customers.

I think that you are just unhappy because you cannot beat the competition. YOu may be giving "amazing service" however you define it, but you display an attitude towards those of us on CC that leaves a lot to be desired.

As much as you would not want me, a CC poster, as your client --- let's just say the feeling is mutual.

Why are you here? What's your point? Telling people what constitutes amazing service does not equate to solicitation or advertising. Answer the question.

Bob, I don't understand it either. This is a relatively new poster, with less than 40 posts to her name, pretty much all of them which put down Cruise Critic members or tout how great a full service TA can be. I really am confused by the statement that telling us what she can provide as an upscale Nordstrom TA would be against the rules of these boards. How is it against the rules? I'm really curious what a full service TA is supposed to be doing for me. And it is by no means solicitation. She doesn't have to give us her name or the name of her agency. All you can really find out by doing a Google search of her screen name is that she is active on a few other boards, that she has a devoted daughter and a devoted partner, and that she seems to be not well liked on those other boards as well.

So basically a full service TA doesn't want a CC poster because we are knowledgeable, want a good deal, and have experience in travel? Seems like a full service TA only wants clients that 1) don't really care about money and how much they spend on their travel and 2) are easy marks so the full service TA can pull the wool over their eyes. I agree with pacheco18, sounds like this poster has a serious case of sour grapes....

Why are you here? What's your point? Telling people what constitutes amazing service does not equate to solicitation or advertising. Answer the question. My Online TA got us a price that was a savings of more than $2,000 better than the best prices advertised for our B2B cruise this fall. There are eight of us (4 couples).

Not a single one of the local TAs could tell me what I would get from them that was worth more than $3,000.

Let's see. If you have a TA that is caught discounting by a line that does not permit discounting, they will get caught eventually and won't be in business that much longer.

I wonder if your "amazing service" TA has a locksmith on retainer, a rolodex full of hotel general managers in every port in the world, has actually been to the places or on the ships they sell, can get you upgraded at just about any hotel in a port, offers club lounge waiting access in their local airport, be there when there is a problem, will stand behind their advice instead of hiding behind the anonymous internet where one can whine "Well I read that I could on CruiseCritic!!!" and on and on. To many clients, that peace of mind is worth far more than your alleged "savings" of $3000/8 = $375 per person. Your claimed $3000 savings was not received by YOU; it what you claim your entire party received. It was a quote you allegedly received from an online agency.

It is ok if you are only guided by price, but you are not getting "amazing" service.

For us to stay in business, we operate on a much higher profit margin than the discounters and in face recently raised our prices. Most TAs do not take on every client. Those discounters are hardly our competition at all as there is just no comparison. As so many of the comments in a thread asking how much was your OBC from your TA have shown, there are far too many posters motivated solely by price and that type of loyalty is not worth chasing.

Just those lurkers who are reading need to know that there is so much more to consider than price alone. As shown in a recent survey, price was in fact not the most important factor in making a cruise decision.

Let's see. If you have a TA that is caught discounting by a line that does not permit discounting, they will get caught eventually and won't be in business that much longer.

I wonder if your "amazing service" TA has a locksmith on retainer, a rolodex full of hotel general managers in every port in the world, has actually been to the places or on the ships they sell, can get you upgraded at just about any hotel in a port, offers club lounge waiting access in their local airport, be there when there is a problem, will stand behind their advice instead of hiding behind the anonymous internet where one can whine "Well I read that I could on CruiseCritic!!!" and on and on. To many clients, that peace of mind is worth far more than your alleged "savings" of $3000/8 = $375 per person. Your claimed $3000 savings was not received by YOU; it what you claim your entire party received. It was a quote you allegedly received from an online agency.

It is ok if you are only guided by price, but you are not getting "amazing" service.

For us to stay in business, we operate on a much higher profit margin than the discounters and in face recently raised our prices. Most TAs do not take on every client. Those discounters are hardly our competition at all as there is just no comparison. As so many of the comments in a thread asking how much was your OBC from your TA have shown, there are far too many posters motivated solely by price and that type of loyalty is not worth chasing.

Just those lurkers who are reading need to know that there is so much more to consider than price alone. As shown in a recent survey, price was in fact not the most important factor in making a cruise decision.

Now, I ask you, "What was so difficult about that?" You finally got around to answering the question, and your answer is a good one. I am motivated by price. In fact, I have the time and am willing to do the work necessary to make the job of the TA as easy as possible. I know what I want, I do the necessary research, and then I book with whomever can do what I want for the best price.

For those who need the handholding of a "full service" TA, the 15+ percent that my family saved may not be sufficient, but for us $3,000+ is real money.

But, for your information, coming on Cruise Critic and getting in our faces is no way for you to win friends and influence cruisers. If we aren't the people you're trying to serve, then let us be and don't attack us for choosing to handle our vacations our way.

If you wish to perform a public service announcement about the value of a "full-service" TA and what an amazing "full-service" TA can offer, then feel free to do so, even here, but don't attack those of us who are willing and able to handle our bookings in a different manner.

I'm not seeking their advice, because I have done much more traveling, during my life, than the average TA. I am able to navigate the vast World Wide Web, and the Internet is my friend. And, I like the knowledgeable people on Cruise Critic. Even those who constantly disagree with me.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. The cruiselines don't allow the advertising of prices lower than what they offer, but to prevent a TA from making a better deal with a client would not only be bad business, it would go against all of the precepts of capitalism.

I plan on it and I'll report back here as to the results.

I've not yet been led astray from the TA and they confirmed with Carnival. Also, I have not read of anyone here on CC having a problem doing so, hence my skepticism to your comment.

Furthermore, It's possibly a policy that is impossible to enforce. What would prevent me from just cancelling the reservation with XXX cruise line if before final payment and rebooking direct with the TA to gain the OBC? If I did this immedieately, doubtful I would lose my room.

Well, I must apologize to you. I just moved my Carnival cruise to my TA and Carnival did say it was my last day to do so as tomorrow was the 30 day mark where I could no longer do so. Now. this is contrary to what a Carnival rep told my TA agency when I posted my previous statement. So, who knows if this depends on whom you speak to at Carnival. Only reason I moved it today was I had just completed moving my Celebrity cruise over to gain my OBC.

If I had waited and Carnival told me it was past the 30 day mark and couldn't, well, I would have just cancelled it and then called my TA to book. I still don't understand how this would be enforceable prior to final payment.

You really must think we are all unsophisticated travelers (or just dumb) by the manner is which you "talk down" to those of us who post here.

1. Our TAs are not acting illegally - these are big companies with nothing to hide. Any cruise line rep could call them and get the same prices we do. There is nothing illegal or contrary to cruise line policy about giving up commissions.

2. I get my own upgrades at every hotel since I am gold or platinum with the major hotel chains and I have my own access to airport lounges.

3. Does anyone really fall for these vague promises anymore? "be there when there is a problem, will stand behind their advice instead of hiding behind the anonymous internet."

4. For $3000 you can keep your locksmith and your condescension.

There is nothing you offer that is "amazing" in my book - nothing I cannot do on my own and probably better than you can. It is your attitude that I find amazing --

"Lurkers" -- beware!!

Those of us who post are undesirable as customers and the rest are "lurkers." Amazing.

All you can really find out by doing a Google search of her screen name is that she is active on a few other boards, that she has a devoted daughter and a devoted partner, and that she seems to be not well liked on those other boards as well.

Yes, been named a troll on the other boards. He/she claims to be a fee based cruise consultant and apparently also used the screen name of amanda da clown. She/he also claims that no TA ever wants a CC member as a client. :rolleyes:

You make a valid point about the potential value of full-service TA's, but sadly, you make it with a great deal of discourtesy to the posters on this board.

I have good friends who are CEO's and CFO's of high-powered companies, and their professional, experienced, full-service TA's provide an infinitely important service to them. These executives travel more than they are at home, they are up in the skies at a moment's notice, they need someone to make all of their travel arrangements, expeditiously, and at a very high level of accommodation. These high-powered executives use high-powered travel agents, and they are happy to pay a premium for their services.

But as you move along the continuum of travellers, from the type that I mention above, to my own type (which is fully independent and cost-conscious), there is a great deal of variation in what is required of a travel agent. There are equally as many differences in how much an individual traveller can pay, or is willing to pay, for the services a travel agent may provide.

My priority is making the most of my travel dollar. There is nothing that I need from a travel agent except the OBC he/she is willing to provide. If there was no OBC to be gained, I would book everything myself. I am very well travelled, an obsessive planner and researcher, fully functional with Priceline ;), well-insured and able to work through any difficulties that arise. So, no matter how stellar your services, I do not need any of them. So why would I pay for them? Why would I forego an OBC in order to retain them?

You do full-service TA's a disservice by coming to a board such as this and being so antagonistic. I can only assume you feel threatened by the declining number of people who need the services that you provide, and I have compassion for anyone who faces a continuing decline in demand for their services.

You make a valid point about the potential value of full-service TA's, but sadly, you make it with a great deal of discourtesy to the posters on this board.

You do full-service TA's a disservice by coming to a board such as this and being so antagonistic. I can only assume you feel threatened by the declining number of people who need the services that you provide, and I have compassion for anyone who faces a continuing decline in demand for their services.

No I am just being honest. I am fortunate in that I don't have to discount to meet demand. Our type of service has a waiting list to even use it.

P.S. The cruiselines don't allow the advertising of prices lower than what they offer, but to prevent a TA from making a better deal with a client would not only be bad business, it would go against all of the precepts of capitalism.

RCI/X and a variety of others have a strict no-discounting policy advertised or not. They may give up to 10% of the base fare in the form of an onboard gift or credit.

Any agency found to not hold group space and continue to discount runs the risk of no longer being able to see the RCI/X product. Not my rules, it is theirs.

By the way, no where did I offer and insult accept to say no TA I know wants the business of a CC member. Just the facts.

No I am just being honest. I am fortunate in that I don't have to discount to meet demand. Our type of service has a waiting list to even use it.

"Honest" - I don't think so.

In your words, "prove it" -- I don't believe a word of it.

There is no waiting list out there . . . .

I know the travel business, indeed the high end travel business, very well.

I guess when you are anonymous you can say anything you like and hope there are a bunch of idiots out there who will believe it. Look elsewhere.

This group is far too intelligent to buy what you are selling - pun intended.

Well, I must apologize to you. I just moved my Carnival cruise to my TA and Carnival did say it was my last day to do so as tomorrow was the 30 day mark where I could no longer do so. Now. this is contrary to what a Carnival rep told my TA agency when I posted my previous statement. So, who knows if this depends on whom you speak to at Carnival. Only reason I moved it today was I had just completed moving my Celebrity cruise over to gain my OBC.
Apology accepted. I am glad you were able to get what you were looking for and did not get taken by the policy. Have a splendid cruise.

By the way, no where did I offer and insult accept to say no TA I know wants the business of a CC member.

Funny, I have never mentioned to a TA that I'm a CC member. I don't know why I would?

However, I have been thanked numerous times for making the TA's life a little easier by knowing exactly what I want when I book, thereby eliminating long, detailed emails or phone calls with neverending questions.

Oh yeah, CC has over half a million members currently. I'm sure all of the TAs you know turn away this revenue on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

The other boards have clocked you.

Oh yeah, CC has over half a million members currently. I'm sure all of the TAs you know turn away this revenue on a daily basis. :rolleyes:

Yep they do because CC members represent maybe 2-5% of the cruising public.

Just as I know there are TAs that discount and offer minimal service as evidenced in the lousy response to recent emergency travel needs and situations, there are no TAs that we know that discount.

- nothing I cannot do on my own and probably better than you can. It is your attitude that I find amazing --

When your quotes are filled with nothing more than me to posts of "Brilliantly stated", you are the only one hurling insults.

No more comments to this poster are necessary because they know it all. And she wonders why no one would want her as a client accept someone so desparate for the business they will give away the farm to get it. No other TA I am aware of needs someone who "knows more than they do or can do it better than they do and who has no value in the service they provide.

Love that ignore feature to the insulting morans. Reminds me of that Moran who got herself banned from RCI/X

When your quotes are filled with nothing more than me to posts of "Brilliantly stated", you are the only one hurling insults.

No more comments to this poster are necessary because they know it all. And she wonders why no one would want her as a client accept someone so desparate for the business they will give away the farm to get it. No other TA I am aware of needs someone who "knows more than they do or can do it better than they do and who has no value in the service they provide.

Love that ignore feature to the insulting morans. Reminds me of that Moran who got herself banned from RCI/X

Happily, for you, no one that knows more than you do will bother to hire you.

Yep they do because CC members represent maybe 2-5% of the cruising public.

Just as I know there are TAs that discount and offer minimal service as evidenced in the lousy response to recent emergency travel needs and situations, there are no TAs that we know that discount.

We're aware that we represent a very small percentage of cruisers. Perhaps in the near future, TAs will begin to ask clients if they are CC members and then immediately hang up after hearing a "yes".

Of course, there will always be businesses that may or may not provide more at a greater cost to a consumer. We then have a choice to hand them our cash or not. ;)

As I mentioned in my previous post, your online reputation precedes you. ;)

On our last cruise, we booked with an online TA that I had used 4 years earlier for my first cruise and we received a $100 OBC as well as 3 price drops along the way with the cruise costing $1,900 pre-tax (5% OBC). Once on the ship, we received only $75 OBC - Celebrity looked into it for 2 days but was unable to do anything for us, even after speaking to HQ in Miami. After a 10 minute phone call to the online TA and their supervisor, they agreed to send us a check for the $25 within 2 weeks of the cruise's completion - which they did.

After reading this thread, for our upcoming cruise in January on Eclipse, we booked directly with Celebrity to get the exact cabin we wanted then put the booking out for bid online. Within 24 hours, we had 5 bids submitted with 4 that we called on the phone to nail down specifics (1 seemed shady).

The one that offered the most OBC also seemed the most knowledgeable on the phone and was very courteous (We were offered $306 OBC on a $2,837 pre-tax booking - 10.7%). Mind you, I am an experienced traveler who prefers to make all my own arrangements (flights, excursions, transfers, insurance, hotels, etc.) and I also enjoy saving $$$ where I can.

It took no more than 5 minutes to fill out the Celebrity booking transfer form and fax it down to Miami this past Saturday. By this morning at 10am, the booking had already been moved over to the TA according to "My Celebrity".

Aside from the $306 OBC from the online TA, we also have a $100 OBC provided by Celebrity as we put down an open-ended future cruise deposit during our last cruise. After our last cruise, we also signed up for the BoA Celebrity Rewards Visa and use it for all of our daily expenses (we pay the balance every week and haven't paid a penny of interest) and anticipate having 50k points by November which we plan on redeeming for cash instead of more OBC (we've also gotten close relatives to allow us to pay for a number of large ticket items w/ our card then received the full amount in cash from them). The redemption value is the same ($500), and we can get double points on all of our expenditures with Celebrity (aside from $406 going to OBC) while using the cash towards the cruise payment on the card.

We'll see if our online TA drops the ball between now and January, but so far we've been really happy with all the ways we've found to stretch our cruise dollars farther. We're saving a total of $906 that would have put a C2 cabin on Eclipse out of our budget otherwise (and we're getting the extra cruise credit as well)

CC has been instrumental in helping educate us and become very savvy cruises in short order.

I wonder if your "amazing service" TA has a locksmith on retainer, a rolodex full of hotel general managers in every port in the world, has actually been to the places or on the ships they sell, can get you upgraded at just about any hotel in a port, offers club lounge waiting access in their local airport, be there when there is a problem, will stand behind their advice instead of hiding behind the anonymous internet where one can whine "Well I read that I could on CruiseCritic!!!" and on and on.

We'll see if our online TA drops the ball between now and January, but so far we've been really happy with all the ways we've found to stretch our cruise dollars farther. We're saving a total of $906 that would have put a C2 cabin on Eclipse out of our budget otherwise (and we're getting the extra cruise credit as well)

CC has been instrumental in helping educate us and become very savvy cruises in short order.

mobster75, kudos to you! It is your kind of stories that are the spirit of this community. Sharing advice, sharing great finds, and sharing your successes in saving money. I think just about everyone here wants to find ways to stretch their cruise dollars, well done!

testifyoncruises - can you please tell me what the value of having a locksmith is when I am floating on the ocean? I'm being honest. I really don't see how you can tout this as one of your amazing services. A locksmith for what? If I get locked out of my house? I can call my own local locksmith. If I'm sailing on the Caribbean and I get locked out of my stateroom, how does your locksmith on retainer help me? I'm baffled.

As far as having a "rolodex full of hotel general managers" and being able to provide upgrades in every single hotel and also airport club lounge access.... is that what really qualifies as "amazing service"? To allow me to go get a free drink in the United Red Carpet Lounge (thank you, but I have my own membership and won't be needing your help) and also perhaps an upgrade for a night in some hotel before my cruise? It seems like your clients are already of the well-to-do type, are you really going to wow them with upgrading them to a better room for one night?

I personally would rather want some onboard credit for me to spend on the ship rather to be able to sleep one night in a deluxe pillowtop Sealy posturepedic king bed. But I guess some well-to-do clients wouldn't see it that way.

If you have a waiting list to use your amazing service, then congratulations to you. Celebrate your accomplishments. Celebrate your amazing service. Celebrate the fact that you can lease a cow in Switzerland to make some milk for you. But please allow us common folk to celebrate our own small victories in peace.

testifyoncruises - can you please tell me what the value of having a locksmith is when I am floating on the ocean?
You asked for some examples. More than one client no matter how often you have spelled it out will leave something behind necessary for their trip. Passports, medication, etc. Being able to enter their house and overnight something to them is one amazing service especially when that client has "thought of everything".

As far as having a "rolodex full of hotel general managers"

A TA with those kind of contacts has been able to make a phone call and get someone into a room when no "rooms are available" due to a delayed ship, a port closure or delay, flight delay and more. A TA has those kind of contacts who want to know when a client will be a guest in their pre or post cruise hotel and will upgrade them or provide some other service of value. Imagine having something that goes wrong, while rare does happen, and being able to make one phone call and have it handled.

But I guess some well-to-do clients wouldn't see it that way.
It ain't just the well-to-do clients that use those kind of services. You may never need it and be not the type of client we are seeking, but there are many who are. It is the little things of amazing service that someone who is provide an OBC and dealing in volume just cannot provide.

If you have no use for it, fine, but know there are those who need to be aware they are getting exactly what they pay for. There are clients who don't go for the cheapest rate they can because they find value in a professional local TA.

After reading this thread, for our upcoming cruise in January on Eclipse, we booked directly with Celebrity to get the exact cabin we wanted then put the booking out for bid online. Within 24 hours, we had 5 bids submitted with 4 that we called on the phone to nail down specifics (1 seemed shady).

The one that offered the most OBC also seemed the most knowledgeable on the phone and was very courteous (We were offered $306 OBC on a $2,837 pre-tax booking - 10.7%). Mind you, I am an experienced traveler who prefers to make all my own arrangements (flights, excursions, transfers, insurance, hotels, etc.) and I also enjoy saving $$$ where I can.

It took no more than 5 minutes to fill out the Celebrity booking transfer form and fax it down to Miami this past Saturday. By this morning at 10am, the booking had already been moved over to the TA according to "My Celebrity".

I am about to do the same thing....I booked directly with Celebrity to get the rooms I wanted....but will switch to an on-line TA before final payment. I have also already purchased my air, pre- and post- hotels, and travel insurance. I will purchase my excursions independently as well. I am not traveling overseas, and I am going a day early and staying a day after the ship docks, so I am not anticipating any scenarios such as missing the ship or the return flight home. I do not know why I would require any additional help from a TA. My questions though are, can I still access "My Celebrity" and make dinner reservations and such? What sort of things am I giving up control over when I transfer this booking? What is the most important thing I will need from the TA now? What is left? How and when do I get any documents I need? Sorry if I am rambling, but haven't cruised in 25 years....no internet then;).....and I am learning a lot right here. Thanks!

Archived